HiRez Poll Bass Communion - LOSS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Bass Communion - LOSS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2006 DVD-Audio release from the UK
(n):phones(y)

Bass Comm Loss Front.jpg
Bass Comm Loss Back.jpg

Great fidelity, great mix, poor content (in my opinion).

I really wanted to like this one, I like some other ambient music, Eno etc... , but its probably the 5.1 disc I most regret buying.

Only for real hardcore fans..

The content is good for what it is. Basically a sound effects recording. Would be great background sounds for a Halloween party or better yet tote 5 speakers and a sub out in the front yard and freak out the kids on "Trick or Treat" night.
:yikes

I'd have to say that Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music is probably the surround disc I most regret buying.

Moved here from another thread:

Listening to this for the first time - very Harold Budd-ish in places. I'm very much liking how the ambience fills the room but, then, the footsteps and creaks find a specific spot within the soundfield. It's Wilson showing off what he can do in more subtle ways. I'd give this an 8 out of 10 if there was a poll, with points taken away simply for less degree of difficulty.

This is pretty "out there" even by my somewhat eclectic tastes. It's hard to define exactly what it is, but I would say it's a well constructed, mixed and produced wash of ambient ethereal drones, atonal bass piano notes and tape noise that evolves slowly and hypnotically around the sound-field. Not everyone's cup of tea by any stretch of the imagination but, to me, it has a certain appeal that's hard to define. I think it probably boils down to this; if almost anyone else had done it, it would be dismissed as self-indulgent tosh. Mr. Wilson somehow manages to infuse it with a sense of purpose and credibility that belies the nature of the material. Not really music for listening too (in fact not really music at all) but put it on as background atmosphere (I usually read whilst it's on) and you can drift in and out of it as it fills the room with weird ambiance. A seven for me - not on musical merit but on the grounds that it's superbly well recorded, detailed and mixed, is most unusual (unique?) and works really well in surround.

An 8 from me.
-1 for the unnecessarily creepy "artwork"
-1 for being 48/24

Being familiar with "dark"/ambient stuff; Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Bill Nelson's "dark" phase, Fripp & Eno, etc., this fits in perfectly in there.
As other members have pointed out, it has no "song structure", only Piano and electronic "treatments" which are panned perfectly throughout the Surround spectrum.
The fact that it cuts off abruptly at the end is a "Frippism".
Obviously this is something that you need to be in the right mood for, but it's very good and interesting nevertheless.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think that DCD or TMC are "creepier" and "darker" than this, so if you are into this, you'll definitely like it...

Last edited:
Back