Q8: Technics RS-858DUS Quadraphonic Q8 Recorder/Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post comments and and photos of this quadraphonic tape recorder in this thread.
We'd love to hear from those who own or have owned this device.

TECHNICS RS-858DUS

Rarity: UNCOMMON

Average Sale Price: $70-$250

NOTE: There are different varieties of this player. Early Models have green VU meters, while later models have blue VU meters. The Blue Meter models are in more demand, as they allegedly have a stronger motor that will not choke on a heavy tape.

q8frontr.jpg
q8front2.jpg
q8back.jpg
q8front1.jpg

Yup! You're right, I'll correct it. Thanks. (This was my unit that I sold on eBay to poodlebutt!!! :D)

yes! finally something I own

I like the sound quality on this model, however it is a rather temperamental machine.... it seems to get confused really easily, as in you have to manually switch the tracks sometimes by ejecting the 8 track and putting it back in, and the lamp that indicates what program it is playing sometimes doesn't light up - these are problems after I had it fixed

in terms on recording quality- I have no idea, I don't know how to record an 8 track

its a huge beast, the pics just don't do it justice (the lights are nice as well- orange/green contrast)

heres a picture with owners manual (I don't usually put the turntable on top- I was taking a pic for a friend and I am to lazy to take another pic)

P1010779.jpg

Any questions you have 8trackman, I will help you or anyone else out if I can. I just had mine completely rebuilt, and I can't wait to get it back into the system, I may even do a video of it, with all features included. It's the best sounding deck I've ever heard. Stereo or Quad.

yes I think a video would be a great idea, it would get a lot of hits on youtube not only from 8 track fans, but people who like Technic units

I do have a newb question though..... what is the function of the "AC OUT UNSWITCHED/SWITCHED"? I looked on the internet awhile back but couldnt find sufficient answers

a) the back has an extra place to plug stuff into, does this mean you can power something while the 8 track player is on? like a receiver or would this overpower the 8 track player?

b) does using this feature effect performance?

c) if I never use it, which is the best setting to use?

I just use an extension cord with the extra plugs for everything so but I do see the usefulness for an extra plug in, if thats what it is designed for

A. Just like a receiver.
B. No
C. It doesnt even matter unless your using it. what ever postion you think looks better. that what i do. i wist i could make it a power switch.

the position of the switch determines wether or not the device plugged into the RS-858DUS will have power with or without a tape inserted, or ONLY when a tape is inserted.

cool, I didn't know you could do that, I am definitely testing this out tonight!

eyg2181 - once you get your Technics back, can you test out the timer function for me?..... mine seems to be rather optimistic/fast, 1 second goes by when it really has only been about 1.5 secs in realtime............its a minor issue but I was wondering how accurate your unit is

cool video, my favorite was the doors 8 track, to my ears it seemed to have the best separation effects.

I noticed you had the volumes all the way up on the 8 track player, is that to get the most VU-meter action, or does it not play good in the middle?- not a criticism, just curious

its kind of stupid how the AKAI only plays on 2 speakers when playing a stereo tape, even the car quad 8 track units don't do that, kind of weird

I vote for a video that shows how to make a recording of an 8 track from a CD, that would be awesome

I could do that, I was also thinking of doing one on 80's heavy metal through a QS synth. Some Metal Church, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc

As for the VU meters, it has the highest output, and the VU don't move as much with them in the middle. When recording I put them a hair past the center. I haven't recorded a tale since I got itback, but supposedly it makes excellent recordings.

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I recently acquired a Technics RS-858DUS. The guy even had the original box!! No manual(s) though. It was working perfect till a few days ago. Now when I insert a cartridge it doesn't play. I can hear/feel the motor running. The lights, etc. are working. I'm good at fixing these gadgets. This unit is kinda weird!! I can't figure out how to open it. I can remove the bottom plate but that's no use. Would you be able to help me, please? Thanks.
J

Sounds to me like the belt slipped off, or broke. I recently had mine restored completly by JR Hearne (Gave permission to recommend to others), and i could not be happier. For a complete restoration, i think its 300 or 350. Not a bad price, considering the quality of the work. My DUS sounds perfect. I would recommend him for a restoration, or any questions on the repair of the unit. Good Luck!

-Russ

Jumpin' Jesus on a pogo stick! Maybe I should have hung onto mine!! I only got $385 for it a few years ago. I scored an Akai for $75. I prefer the Akai. The Technics has no erase head and a tiny (seriously, open it up and look!) motor. Mine always bogged down on heavy tapes. The Akai chugs through no problems. Also, the erase head on the Akai makes recording so much better. The lack of a Pause button however is annoying....

Technics do have a erase heads. There combination erase,record and playback. The all in one approach. The problem is the erase head side burns out this is one of the major flaw in there design along with there small motors and other things. Just ask eyg2181 i rebuilt his. I had to change out his combo head for this exact reason. I hope this helps other out there. Jay

Could someone confirm that the same unit was sold under the Panasonic brand? It's been a lot of years but visually it seems to look identical to the Pan I had.
The unit I had came with 4 speakers, I bought it at an Army PX 1972-73. Perhaps it was Technics; that was a long time ago.

Could someone confirm that the same unit was sold under the Panasonic brand? It's been a lot of years but visually it seems to look identical to the Pan I had.
The unit I had came with 4 speakers, I bought it at an Army PX 1972-73. Perhaps it was Technics; that was a long time ago.

I've seen this model on eBay recently (3 mo.) with ONLY Panasonic badging.

Back