Q8: Technics RS-858DUS Quadraphonic Q8 Recorder/Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will suggest that the user manual be offered for all to make use of by submitting it to www.quadraphonic.info where there is other manuals for us quaddies, including the schematics for this tape deck that I submitted.

I have a RS858US coming from Japan for 2000 yen. I plan to see if I can have the head moved to my RS858DUS that a local tech destroyed my record section. Lets hope that the mechanical parts are also okay as I may need to transplant the drive system or springs to fix having to stuff match books in to play some tapes.

Circular Vibes:
I'm working on being able to do that now. My copy is (excellent reproduction, very clear and crisp) printed and single sided. I'm trying to figure out a way to scan it to .pdf.
I'd be happy to share it, as soon as I can transfer it.

I wish you the best of luck on your restoration effort.
The head is VERY easy to remove and remount. (It's held into place by a set screw.)
The worst part would be unsoldering and resoldering the connections.
But the whole thing will likely need to be re-aligned, both mechanically and electronically.
That's a much easier task thanks to the common availability of the Service Manual.

I'll update everybody as soon as there is progress. Please let us know how your efforts go.

Had a brand new one back in '78 that I believe I got on close-out from Pacific Stereo or some such. Didn't keep it long as there weren't much call to record them things. Put my stare on a Teac 3440s, I did. Picked that up a couple years later.

I've sent the Operating Instructions .pdf to the group owner. I assume it will be posted in the Article/Manual section.....

Postscript:

My documentation search for this piece (I now have a backup unit for my original, so outside of a few ads and a newly discovered brochure for it my search is pretty much done) is drawing to a close.

In my research I had a tough time discovering what the original MSRP for the 858DUS was, but I did finally find it in a 1976 Buyers guide: $329.95USD.

The 858 is listed in the 1976 Audio Annual Equipment directory but not (unless it was added elsewhere, which was common at that time for late submissions) with an MSRP.

I hope this helps. Thanks to everyone for reviving an old thread. Henceforth I'll probably start a fresh thread on the 858DUS.

Last edited:
Update: I just finished the restoration of my backup RS-858US (no "d" which is interesting, because it's-feature wise at least-identical to my "DUS" 858).

Which is weird. The serial number is higher on the DUS, but the performance of the unit seems to lean towards the "US" as being the most "refined". Particularly with regards to motor noise/torque and the lack of a slight flutter in the lights when FF is engaged. The DUS does it. The US does not. Has anybody else noticed this? I've never really cared about it, because it never does it when the machine is in "Play" mode.......TIA for any other information. I read here that there are at least five other iterations......

Try Bob Toepfer at Vintage-Electronics.net. I bought two sets from him recently. He only included two belts (my 858's use three each) but he sent me two more of the measurements I sent him and they worked fine. Just remind him that there are three belts in the machine and not two. Good luck! Let us know how it goes......

That sounds great. I'll contact him to get several belt sets since I have about 4 units.

I still don't get on here as often as I would like but a quick update:

It looks like I will be putting my Techincs 8 track cleaning, etc on hold for a bit and instead start cleaning up and working on Heathkit Modulus AN 2016 and it's amplifiers as a winter project

Back