Q4: Akai GX-280D-SS Quad Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post comments and and photos of this quadraphonic tape recorder/player in this thread.
We'd love to hear from those who own or have owned this device.

Akai GX-280D-SS

Rarity: COMMON

Average Sale Price: $100-250

akai.JPG

Please post comments and and photos of this quadraphonic tape recorder/player in this thread.
We'd love to hear from those who own or have owned this device.
I had this "receiver" (receiver of quad reels I assume) for quite a few years. Has a rare feature of having a full-track erase head.

I had the dust cover which covered only the top portion of the machine, but not the controls at the bottom. That was really cool. On the picture you can see the tiny pins at the top which held the dust cover.

Also had the remote control as pictured.

What does that SRT button to the left of the record button do? I don't remember now.

This is the Q4 I currently have. I really like the sound of it. Although I paid a bit over the average price ($315). I don't have the dust cover or the remote but no biggie. Still a really nice machine

SRT stands for Super Range Tape and is used when using Low Noise tape.

According to my manual: "Depress when using Akai Super Range Tape or other make low noise tapes."

i've never owned this model but it seems like a nice deck. there are usually quite a few of them on ebay at any given time.
if it handled 10" reels i'd definitely be wanting one.

Have two of these decks. One is museum quality cosmetically w/ dust cover and RM-16 remote, but DOA. Have not have the incentive to repair it (yet). The other is missing a few knobs and the head cover, but runs great after cleaning a few solenoids. Both are in need of calibration which one day I will get to. Great decks. Not the world's highest fidelity, but good enough for me.
Dave

I just picked one of these up a couple weekends ago. Scored off eBay for $50 and it was in Spokane, Wa. I was heading there for the swapmeet anyway, so saved me some shipping. Needed one heck of a cleaning but seems to play the one Quad reel I have rather well! Front Left Channel is a little janky but jiggling the Source/Tape switch brings it back to life (or a quick power on/power off). All the solenoids and lights work properly. Mine is missing the cover for the time counter but a supplier in Montana got me the part for $14! No dust cover but did get the metal take-up reel, original manual and a pair of DIN-to-RCA cords as well.

I like it! Makes my Akai Quad 8-track deck feel at home.

Here is a pic of my two units. The complete unit wasn't complete when I got it. I picked it up for $20 from a disc jockey who said he couldn't get it to work. But I found out it did work , he wasn't pushing the right buttons. I picked up the cover and two reels from ebay. Complete. The other unit and rc 16 remote I bought from ebay for fifty bucks, plus fifty for shipping from San Diego to my home in Merced. The other remote and two mikes / stands I bought from ebay.PART_1475510194353_IMG_20161003_085517.jpg

Back