Q4: Akai GX-630D-SS Quad Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post comments and and photos of this quadraphonic tape recorder in this thread.
We'd love to hear from those who own or have owned this device.

AKAI GX-630D-SS

Rarity: FAIRLY RARE

Average Sale Price: $300+

I found that I still had the sales brochure from the time I bought mine, so here it is! In full color for y'all to check out.

Akai 630-1.jpg
Akai 630-2.jpg
Akai 630-3.jpg
Akai 630-4.jpg

i love this model so much i've aquired three of them. bought the first one new in reno nv back in 1978, the rest on ebay in the last 2 years. they are all working.
they'd even be nicer if they had auto-reverse. but i guess that's what the gx-400d-ss is for.

ps-jon, would it be possible to get a copy of the brochure from you?
i probably got one with the deck i bought back in '78 but i have no idea whatever happened to it over the years.

Last edited:
Two erase heads. That's an interesting way to do it. No sure what the advantage would be though.

I have two of these. One is the one I bought back in 76 when I was in the Navy, which has a bad channel! :(
I have a second one, the one I currently have in use, that I bought off of eBay that is in great shape.

Here's a picture of the heads for those who are interested. I assume the one in the shroud is the record head. If I'm right, then it's ERASE-ERASE-PLAYBACK-RECORD, in that order. I used to know, but my grey matter is slowly fading away..............

Attachments

• 630heads.jpg
    630heads.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 216
The reason for two erase heads is that you can use stereo heads. Since the channels have no need for syncronization when erasing, two stereo heads will work. Also, they are easier to find if one fails, which is a bonus for us.

The Quadfather

I bought my GX-630D-SS new while I was stationed in Guam during the mid seventies. I still have the receipt in a box. I saw it last year while looking for documention on my QRX-9001. Mine still works, although I have been experiencing some playback speed issues recently, but a few cycles of the switches gets it back on track. I had the belts changed, and some other repairs done on it back in 1992, and it has been used very little since then. However, I created a music room just for my surround system last year, and have been listening to some of my old tapes and albums. It gets better with use.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 239
re speed issues. if speed is still unstable, a little deoxit into the workings of the speed selector switch would probably help. do the other switches while you're at it.

I have one of these for sale. Barely used. Anyone interested?

[email protected]
located in Virginia, US.

Please post comments and and photos of this quadraphonic tape recorder in this thread.
We'd love to hear from those who own or have owned this device.

AKAI GX-630D-SS

Rarity: FAIRLY RARE

Average Sale Price: $300+

I found that I still had the sales brochure from the time I bought mine, so here it is! In full color for y'all to check out.

View attachment 3652
View attachment 3653
View attachment 3651
View attachment 3654

Back