Splitting a 6CH WAV file

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Is there a program or utility that will take a 6 Channel .wav file and split it into 6 mono files without doing any processing to it?

I know you can create 6 mono files and paste each channel into them to save them, but that's a pain when you have a bunch to do.

You're not going to believe this, Jon......AudioMuxer. ;)

I believe you. In fact......

I was initially just going to send you a PM asking you this question, because I figured you would know for sure. But instead, I figured I'd ask it in public in case someone else wanted to know.

I should have know that you SBU guys would have an answer. Is there anything that you guys do not do? :D I have to hand it to you and your members, you are doing a great job with your surround technology, and all on a "no cost" basis. Your group should really be getting a lot more recognition than it does.

Or maybe that's better this way.

Anyway, thanks again!

I *think* if you drop the file into one track of a multitrack project in Adobe Audition, AA will create the 6 mono .wavs. I don't have a 6-channel .wav file handy to test this.

J. D.

Thanks to all. I just tried it with Audio Muxer, and it's a breeze. Here's how it works:

1) Start AudioMuxer, select 'Tools' and 'Audio Conversion'

monowavs1.jpg

2) Open the 6 CH wav file 'Select Audio', then press 'Mono Wavs'

monowavs2.jpg

3) The program will generate the files in the same directory as the source file.

monowavs3.jpg

Yup. With all the talk we do about AudioMuxer on here, it's hard to understand sometimes why people still utilize more convoluted solutions.

Most of the guys on SBU know a ton. Me? I don't know jack. I just know how to plug stuff into a method and make it sound good. :)

Yup. With all the talk we do about AudioMuxer on here, it's hard to understand sometimes why people still utilize more convoluted solutions.

Most of the guys on SBU know a ton. Me? I don't know jack. I just know how to plug stuff into a method and make it sound good. :)

AudioMuxer does so much, I often forget half the functionality. It is indeed our "Swiss Army Knife" for surround. Ply4it & dts350z have given us great tools.

Nuendo 5 has it built in too.
Works both ways - mono to multichannel & multichannel to mono.
(FWIW - any offline processing done on multichannel mixes should be done to an interleaved file or else phasing issues will result)

I haven't used Audiomuxer in a while. Now, with an update installed, it opens a eac3to download window at every title in the list. It is already installed. Closing the window lets it go to the next title, but the split files don't seem to appear anywhere. Anyone see that pop up?

I'm trying to split mc wav into 6 mono wavs.

I haven't used Audiomuxer in a while. Now, with an update installed, it opens a eac3to download window at every title in the list. It is already installed. Closing the window lets it go to the next title, but the split files don't seem to appear anywhere. Anyone see that pop up?

I'm trying to split mc wav into 6 mono wavs.

Completely uninstall it and reinstall the latest version. Something must have happened during the update. Eac3to is what it uses to, in your case, split the mc wav to 6 mono wavs, but it should silently run in the background.

If you don't change the destination folder, the mono wavs should end up in the same folder as the original multichannel wav.

Curious what you are doing with the mono wavs?

Completely uninstall it and reinstall the latest version. Something must have happened during the update. Eac3to is what it uses to, in your case, split the mc wav to 6 mono wavs, but it should silently run in the background.

If you don't change the destination folder, the mono wavs should end up in the same folder as the original multichannel wav.

Curious what you are doing with the mono wavs?

Yes, makes sense.

MLP/Chrome.

Back