RUSH - Moving Pictures reissue

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shocked, amazed, thrilled and scared to death of Dolby Digital in a Blu-ray world... Let's hope they see the value in hi-res.

WOW!!! I don't see any mention of format, but one would hope after the terrible sound of Snakes & Arrows they would never do DD again.

I agree, wow. Hope there is plenty going on discretely in all 5 speakers equally. The music of Rush is perfect for 5.1. I won't buy anything unless it has 5.1 or Quadraphonic. I didn't miss a Rush Concert from about 1980 to 1992. I appreciate the musicianship and the exploratory nature of songs the band puts out.

Quote from link above (thanks for link):

As announced last summer, last reissued as "The Rush Remasters" in 1997, Rush's back catalog with Universal (1974-1987) will be the subject of a major reissues campaign in 2011 (release dates are still unannounced). At that time, I stated "It is unknown at this time if the 2011 reissues will be remastered/remixes (5.1 anyone?) or merely repackaged." Well, as it turns out, at the very least Moving Pictures will be remixed in 5.1 surround by Richard Chycki; no word if the entire catalog will also get similar treatment.

"Ok, so the word is out. I've been in the studio for last month remixing the original Moving Pictures CD in 5.1 surround. I finished tweaks on Red Barchetta yesterday. It really was an amazing experience to spread the original tracks of such a classic CD into the 3D word of surround. (The car speeds off, goes behind and banks a sharp right in rear BTW). The listening experience is drastically enveloping and coupled with songs and performances that epitomize this band, it's definitely a great time to re-discover Rush. After discussion with the band, the goal here was to pay serious homage to the production of the era so a considerable amount of time was spent researching and working through effects etc. that matched the original but would fare well in the 5.1 world. And of course, placement was also a critical issue. I'm pleased with the results and Alex Lifeson was pretty blown away when he came in to listen to the finals." - Richard Chycki, richardchycki.com, February 4, 2011

I have always been a big fan of Rush. Best news I've heard since the Tom Petty reissues. I hope they follow his lead and release on BD. Fly By Night, Caress Of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Wow...I'd love to hear them all in 5.1! Moving Pictures is great place to start.

This is the best news I have heard regarding surround in months! As a long time Rush fan I too hope we can get a blu-Ray release instead of the dreaded DD. Moving pictures, perm waves, 2112, and a farewell to kings would make a great 4-pack.

First of all, thanks for the heads up, awesome news - I had read Alex L was very interested in remixing their catalog to Surround-of course there had to be a goon in the SH forum to "poo poo" my thoughts, oh well, that's why I like this forum much better.

I second the emotion regarding the awful Dual Disc DD sound quality , or lack thereof.

But this is dangerous because this would mean the victory of BD and the end of my standoff against that format..maybe we can get our own QQ Guru Neil W to talk to them and convince them to do DVD Audio instead of the "Big Brother-you WILL obey" Blu Ray format....

I'd take this album on DVD if they do it like the Genesis discs were done in DTS 24/96[which sound amazing btw].

At this point in time I can't imagine it being on anything other than Blu-ray. But before we get into it, we all need to cross our fingers and toes that it even gets released. How many surround mixes get made only to sit on a shelf somewhere? Because it is Rush; and they are big enough to do whatever they want; and the band (or at least Alex) is involved and a supporter of surround I think we will see it some day. (I hope)

Yes me too. I mean what.. yet a 3rd CD version without surround? Isn't that too much to ask from fans? And bonus tracks would be nice, but as a separate discs due to concept nature of the original material. So surround and Hi-Rez formats are the only other way to go IMO. After all, many of these so called remastered CD (or MP3) we're a step backwards in many cases, not forward. So surround is the only way to go at this point.

First of all, thanks for the heads up, awesome news - I had read Alex L was very interested in remixing their catalog to Surround-of course there had to be a goon in the SH forum to "poo poo" my thoughts, oh well, that's why I like this forum much better.

You should have come here and asked for reinforcements. ;) I've noticed some surround bashing by people who know better or most likely, never have heard these great mixes on some threads or articles using a Google search. Just as in the 1970s, without the "google." So because of the lack of info we need to get the word out still. But I think this release, if mixed properly, will move the ball forward for surround acceptance. There are a lot of Rush fans or those who respect them. Surround, it's still a new thing for music for people to get into, even though it's been with us all of our lives since the 1970's. So there's a huge untapped audience out there, now that the equipment is there in most peoples homes with an Amp.

An old friend of mine who usually knows what he's on about once told me that Moving Pictures was one of the early digitally recorded albums - so what, probably 48/16? Anybody know? It might be that there isn't much room for sound quality improvement. If it's surround I'll buy it regardless, just curious...

Both the Mercury and MoFi versions I own are labeled ADD for what it's worth.

Didn't Rush reissue their entire catalog about five years ago or so? I understand the desire of some for a retail surround version of an album they love, but isn't reissuing this catalog again close to a Floyd-like siphoning of money out of fans' pockets?

Crimson re releases their catalog every 5-10 years in various permutations and their fans were more than happy to have their pockets siphoned with the 40th anniversary surround mixes. I would go so far as to say that without those releases this would be a rather sad and lonely place - one can only discuss the dreaded DualDisc for so long. I say bring on the Rush catalog in surround soon because the mood is gettin' rather gloomy round here.

Didn't Rush reissue their entire catalog about five years ago or so? I understand the desire of some for a retail surround version of an album they love, but isn't reissuing this catalog again close to a Floyd-like siphoning of money out of fans' pockets?
do you really think those guys kind of starving?
i see it more like sort of moves by ambitions.
they are famous, popular, rich and smart enough
to be among the first from old army musicians who's
reissued their music in format of the future when
they are still around and got the chance to do so.
i would wish to Ozzy and his Sabbath's buddies to be
such smart to reissue their old BS catalog in HiRez surround.

Rush reissued their catalog in 1997 afair.

Rush reissued their catalog in 1997 afair.

oh wow. that's farther back than I thought. were the SHM-CDs a new remaster?

wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers. my point was that there's only so many times you can remaster an entire catalog, in the same format, before anyone other than the diehards will care. is Rush a band that can do that? sure. back when the Billboard Top 200 Albums mattered, there were enough Rush diehards on any given first week out there to give them a Top 10 debut before the album quickly sunk. that's the sign of a steady fanbase, but not many new converts.

I hope people do get a professional mix of "Moving Pictures," but I'm not seeing anything beyond wishful thinking on anything else on here, and let's not be Lucy, Linus, and the football either. :)

Posted today on Music Tap

"Alex Lifeson of Rush has let it be known that a 5.1 mix of Moving Pictures (1981) is being readied as well as a 5.1 remix of Vapor Trails (2002). No release dates set for the time being. In addition, the Rush Universal albums are being slated for a remaster/reissue campaign (no word on which precise titles nor a release date). Their last remaster campaign was The 1997 Rush Remasters."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back