New KC: Jakszyk/Fripp/Collins - The Scarcity Of Miracles on 5.1 DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. I blew it by ordering this at DGMLive.com, the "Official" site. Cost more than at Burning Shed, and I have no idea when it is to arrive. No emails in regards to being shipped. Ugh! I guess I'm on a roll, also, with the Caravan Dubbleeeeeee package about to arrive (I may return it STAT to Amazon UK). Oh, and the Chicago Blackfield show, unfortunately for all involved, being offed. Will patiently wait to get back on the train with the Acoustic Sounds WYWH SACD and Aqulaung DVD-A (?) Pre-Orders. Thanks.

Now I know to go to Burning Shed, I got it today and am loving it.

The first half seems very mellow, the second half gets really proggy, strange, psychedelic, and atmospheric. "The Other Man" is a straight up new King Crimson song. Need more listens, but I am happy!

Jakko did it and its very good.
I am starting to think he is going to be up their with Scheiner and Wilson as a goto man for a surround mix

Jakko did it and its very good.
I am starting to think he is going to be up their with Scheiner and Wilson as a goto man for a surround mix

Absolutely. He's very good indeed.
Have you heard his mix for the Gavin Harrison/O5Ric album "Circles"? Superb work there too.

I like the surrond mix very much. My major complaint is with the sax, I hate it. This would have been a great album without the sax. This is based on my first listen, it already seems less offensive on my second go around, but it's the weakest link. The vocals are good, which have sometimes been a problem with some incarnations of KC in the past.

I am more than happy with this new disc. It's not pop, not jazz and not rock but a special blend of all of these.
It can now be added to the Hi-rez highlight section.

Absolutely. He's very good indeed.
Have you heard his mix for the Gavin Harrison/O5Ric album "Circles"? Superb work there too.

Yes he should enter the surround hall of fame along with Elliot Scheiner and Steven Wilson as someone who gets it and knows what to do whith it.

I also think that this is a better mix that Circles.

Still trying to wrap my head around this one (or is it the other way). Anyway, I agree with Dennis - recording/mix wise - pure ear candy. I'm less interested than some others here in defining this as a King Crimson title because it's really only the music that matters. While no great revelation (it's mentioned in the liner notes), it definitely appears that this project is based on Fripp & Jakko's improvs - with Fripp on Soundscapes and Jakko on Guitar (my impression on first listen was Soundscapes with additional instruments and bit more structure). While I have no way of knowing for sure, I get the sense that Fripp is sitting back a bit on this one - and that Jakko is taking the lead creating the song structures for the improvs to take shape. The playing of Levin, Harrison, and Collins is top notch. I do find bits of Collins "Branford Marsalis like" sax playing to be a little too present at times and wish that he would have contributed more of the cool little sax sections that show up here and there - that style is a bit incongruous to some of the more proggy bits - but he's still a good player. The good thing is that there is much depth - many things to discover and most importantly - music that continues to reveal itself upon repeated listens.

on amazon.ca will be avalable june 14. i did put this into my basket but not sure
do i need to buy it with $27 price tag.
got a copy for audition, sonic and mix are good but such kind of music/genre most
likely i wouldn't listen too often.
anyway, hope it will be around for some time and i have time to think about.

on amazon.ca will be avalable june 14. i did put this into my basket but not sure
got a copy for audition, sonic and mix are good but such kind of music/genre most

DANG!!!! $27 smakeroos is quite a bit!! I can't blame you....

It is considerably cheaper at Burning Shed: http://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/

Kap'n you'll be very much confused by the price policies of retailers in Canada.
maybe somewhere exist even worst, but so far it is worst i had ever seen in my life
and this is 4th country where me happen to live :)

It is considerably cheaper at Burning Shed
thanks for hint but with shipping cost it will be pretty much same

Old thread, I know. But, I'm old! Just recently got this incredible disk, "A Scarcity of Miracles". First 4 songs I absolutely love. I love the horns, I love the pacing, the bass, the drums, all of it. See, I'm sort of a sometime jazz fan so I get it.

But, it went a little sideways for me with "The Other Man". Don't know, just felt dark. But hey, the rest is worth the second listen I'm having as I type. Maybe even change my mind about song 5......
That's all.
Thanks.

I'll admit being a little confused. What is the title of the album that is being discussed and is there a poll for it?

I'll admit being a little confused. What is the title of the album that is being discussed and is there a poll for it?

The album is called A Scarcity of Miracles. The poll thread is here.

It's sort of a precursor to the current line-up of King Crimson. It's pretty mellow (by King Crimson standards, anyway.) I really like both the album and mix.

Back