Adobe Audition 4.0 - Any news?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Is there a time table for this release? I checked the website and there's nothing noted. I thought there was a lot of talk about this six+ months ago.

See also this thread in the other sub forum.
Please keep in mind that the upcoming version is more or less a complete rewrite too make it fit in the Adobe Creative Suite series. For that reason they lost a couple of features that previous versions did have: MIDI, metronome, clip grouping in MV, there's no scripting, half of the automation features (you can't drive it from faders at present) don't exist, and no form of external controller interface is present.
Better wait until the demo is released.

The windows version of Audition CS5.5 is now available to try at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=audition
If you do not have the Adobe Download Manager installed it will be downloaded at this point.
Once the Downlaod Manager is running you need to log in with an Adobe ID in the form of an email address.
My ID was the same as my name on the forums so it didn't work. You can get the option to make your email address your ID by going into your Adobe account and changing it but this never worked for me. I had to create a new account with my email address as the ID.
Eventually downloaded Audition CS5.5.

No scripting. No Phase or Pan views. No Phase Analysis window.
Centre Channel Extractor is the only effect under the Stereo Imagery option so no Channel Mixer.
Every time Centre Channel Extractor is opened the phase angle is reset to 0° but the other settings don't change. Not any good if you try a manual removal of 90° or -90° phase shifted audio and you can't remember what you did last. :)). I would class that as a bug.
The Centre Channel extractor runs about 20% quicker on my 4 core Windows 7 PC.
So basically I am waiting until the next version when all the missing effects are supposed to be put back in before I try using it for SQ or QS scriptin.

The windows version of Audition CS5.5 is now available to try at http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=audition
If you do not have the Adobe Download Manager installed it will be downloaded at this point.
Once the Downlaod Manager is running you need to log in with an Adobe ID in the form of an email address.
My ID was the same as my name on the forums so it didn't work. You can get the option to make your email address your ID by going into your Adobe account and changing it but this never worked for me. I had to create a new account with my email address as the ID.

Centre Channel Extractor is the only effect under the Stereo Imagery option so no Channel Mixer.
Every time Centre Channel Extractor is opened the phase angle is reset to 0° but the other settings don't change. Not any good if you try a manual removal of 90° or -90° phase shifted audio and you can't remember what you did last. :)). I would class that as a bug.
So basically I am waiting until the next version when all the missing effects are supposed to be put back in before I try using it for SQ or QS scriptin.

I just got my $99 "upgrade". I installed it but haven't played with it yet. Sounds like it might be underwhelming. Being a Sound Forge guy, I really only used AA for the SQ scripts, so I guess I better keep 3.0 running. Haven't used it in a while, though.

I wonder why they took so much out of this program?

I wonder why they took so much out of this program?
My understanding is that Adobe's vision for this software is the video market so we don't figure in the scheme of things. I know a few recording studios who use this as their multitrack recording software. We were using V4 yesterday to do a bit of recording and basically it's still useable for that. Also using it to switch import/export between Reaper to add rendered midi stuff with the required third party software. I think there are a few features that have been added that help in normal recording stuff.

One of the beefs of these guys is that the pitch correction has been removed. This seems to be needed a lot for the wannabe Karaoke type sessions and that's bread and butter for a lot of these people. But as has been stated on the Adobe forums, if you don't need the new facilities (or still need the old deleted functionality) stick with V3.

Of course there will be further developments happening within Adobe so change may come or return. I wonder whether they will allow you to upgrade from V3 to V6 (if it has what you want) when it's released? At present I expect a lot of people on this forum would find AA4 a downgrade and unusable for what they require regarding scripting etc

I was rather quick to review CS5.5 so some corrections. The Channel Mixer is now under Amplitude and Compression.
There is a form of scripting that can be created under Favorites but there doesn't appear to be any way to edit them and it isn't much good until that bug is sorted.
There are no Phase shift functions but the Phase Bug plugin could be used instead.
No multiple Clipboards. Really useful when scripting.

Is there anything else I've missed that is useful in the Quad context?

Some things that were removed might have just been renamed. For example, I couldn't believe they removed "click/pop eliminator (process)" which I use frequently for the "fill single click now" feature. It took me awhile to realize that this is now an effect called "auto heal selection."

J. D.

I've just found something interesting. Look under "Amplitude" and you will see that channel mixer has been returned to where it was originally. Now look at the presets for channel mixer. You'll see things like "Ambisonic B format to L R Ls Rs" and "Matrixed Stereo to ITU 5.1." Hmmm. But darn if I can figure out how to get these to work. And the online manual is no help at all.

J. D.

OK, I have an answer to this from the Adobe forum. I can't help but wonder if the person on the Adobe forum who wrote this is also a member here.

"This is fun, but not as much fun as you'd like it to be. Let me
explain.

There is one caviat we all need to pay attention to: these advanced
functions in the Channel Mixer effect are PASSIVE mixing only, and
therefore won't correctly decode a matrixed-quad source such as SQ, QS,
or Dolby Surround. I have no idea what that means for Ambisonics.
But there are some interesting applications for this, to be sure.
Now, having said that, here's what I discovered.

If your source file is stereo, then first you must convert it to 5.1 (or
whatever is suitable) using Edit > Convert Sample Type. Pay close
attention to the optional dropdowns.

Now you should have a file with two front channels with audio and 4
silent channels. +Then+ select all, open the Channel Mixer, and
proceed. The end result should be what you're looking for (unless you
need phase-based decoding, which is better done via scripting in AA3)."

Just spent the weekend with a free unlocked full-featured copy of AA CS5.5 (raspberry).
Gave it back to the guy with his new Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects and etc.

But my 3.0 disc got destroyed with a lot of my other software. Anybody got an extra?

Adobe doesn't send you new discs past the first year and after this I might just go to
ProTools on a Mac to upgrade. Does Lucanu or anybody have the matrix script plugins for 3.0? I'm still trying to do it in 2.0 and all it does is aggravate me.

Hey Ndiamone.
Drop me a PM.
Can send ISO for AA3, plus all scripts.

AA4 is now officially AA CS5.5, and there has been a LOT of stuff removed for Mac compatibility.
Mainly the stuff we are interested in, sadly.
This new thingy just does not cut the mustard.
Essentially, all custom scripting is not removed - completely. The stereo to 5.1 ITU is a very basic & simple upmix algorithm.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Back