DVD/DTS Poll Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary (Ellioitt Scheiner 5.1 Mix) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Derek and the Dominos - LAYLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
FYI - The DTS audio (according to Audiomuxer) is 16bit, 1510k, 48kHz...

Gave this an "8." Definitely not the "big stereo" (tm Neil) we've been talking a lot about lately, but falling short of the beautiful and meticulous arrangement of a Steve Wilson mix.

I gave it a 10, although I should have gone 8 or 9 based on all the stuff I didn't need and the lack of advanced res. There are some juicy rarities on the CD's, though I already own much of that on previous releases. I like the SACD, but that mix is awfully sparse. After hearing this, I'd give the SACD a 7. Yes, I know this thread is the Scheiner mix. It is WONDERFUL and the best way to listen to this. I'm sucker enouch to re-buy it when they do it on Blu-Ray-A.

Linda
Do you want to see me crawl across the floor to you?

That's a bugger - I wonder if it is right though? There would seem to be very little point dithering to 16-bits before encoding to DTS given that all encoders accept a 24-bit source, although it has to be said that a lot of things the labels do make no sense to me - like why is this only in an expensive box, and not available as standalone!

BTW - who's E.F. Hutton??

Where do you see 16bit in Audiomuxer? I'm getting 24bit.

The only place I see 16bit in Audiomuxer is when you are doing a SPDIF conversion; which is typically limited to 16 bit.

Here is the screen shot from extracting it:

Derek.JPG

BTW - who's E.F. Hutton??

(From Wiki)
"E. F. Hutton & Co. was an American stock brokerage firm founded in 1904 ... became one of the most respected financial firms in the United States and for several decades was the second largest brokerage firm in the United States. The firm was best known for its commercials in the 1970s and 1980s based on the phrase, "When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen" (which usually involved a young professional remarking at a dinner party that his broker was E.F. Hutton, which caused the moderately loud party to stop all conversation to listen to him)."
So , being the concentric people North Americans are, we believe that the rest of the world should be aware of this slogan.

It was VERY big in the 80's and the early 90's.

And so, the baton is passed on to you...;)

Here is the screen shot from extracting it:

I was extracting the raw DTS streams and then converting them to WAV files with AudioMuxer or foobar2000. Going that route, I was getting 24 bit files. After seeing your snapshot, I captured a disk image and confirmed what you are seeing.

I suppose the conversion to WAV takes it up to 24 bit by default so it doesn't have to scan the entire stream looking for the largest sample. And I suppose this is because DTS doesn't really use a fixed bit depth. I read somewhere that you can't trust the info in the DTS header; as it can be edited to say whatever you want. But I really don't know how to figure out the bit depth of a DTS stream and it probably really is just 16 bit.

(From Wiki)
"E. F. Hutton & Co. was an American stock brokerage firm founded in 1904 ... So , being the concentric people North Americans are, we believe that the rest of the world should be aware of this slogan.

It was VERY big in the 80's and the early 90's.

And so, the baton is passed on to you...;)

I didn't think many would get it agewise or geographically, but it's sure interesting to see who does.

I was extracting the raw DTS streams and then converting them to WAV files with AudioMuxer or foobar2000. Going that route, I was getting 24 bit files. After seeing your snapshot, I captured a disk image and confirmed what you are seeing.

I suppose the conversion to WAV takes it up to 24 bit by default so it doesn't have to scan the entire stream looking for the largest sample. And I suppose this is because DTS doesn't really use a fixed bit depth. I read somewhere that you can't trust the info in the DTS header; as it can be edited to say whatever you want. But I really don't know how to figure out the bit depth of a DTS stream and it probably really is just 16 bit.

Interesting. I'll take a stab at it with eac3to like I would for a DTS 96/24 track.

If you use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and set it to split each chapter into its own vob file, then convert those vobs to flac using eac3to, eac3to will tell you the actual file parameters. If it's not 24 bit, it'll kick back a message saying something like "DTS header says 24 bit, but the audio does not exceed 16 bit. Encoding at 16 bit." Either way, it'll tell what kind of data lives on the stream.

I learned that trick from Neil a while back. I believe it was the only way to reliably extract DTS 96/24 a couple of years ago. It may still be.

Last edited:
I just bought this box set for just under $90 on eBay! Can't wait to finally listen to this Grammy-nominated mix! :)

Interesting. I'll take a stab at it with eac3to like I would for a DTS 96/24 track.

If you use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and set it to split each chapter into its own vob file, then convert those vobs to flac using eac3to, eac3to will tell you the actual file parameters. If it's not 24 bit, it'll kick back a message saying something like "DTS header says 24 bit, but the audio does not exceed 16 bit. Encoding at 16 bit." Either way, it'll tell what kind of data lives on the stream.

I learned that trick from Neil a while back. I believe it was the only way to reliably extract DTS 96/24 a couple of years ago. It may still be.

FYI - "Extract Audio from DVD" seems to work for DTS from a DVD (Decrypted using using DVD Decrypter) via Audiomuxer - for a 96/24 track (Depeche Mode violator in this case):
Capturedts.JPG

Audiomuxer is the easiest way I've done it for 96/24 DTS. Of course there are other tools out there that you can buy that you don't need to use DVD Decrypter first though.

I am so glad this online factor functions as well as your post definitely helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you.

FYI - "Extract Audio from DVD" seems to work for DTS from a DVD (Decrypted using using DVD Decrypter) via Audiomuxer - for a 96/24 track (Depeche Mode violator in this case):
View attachment 4747

Audiomuxer is the easiest way I've done it for 96/24 DTS. Of course there are other tools out there that you can buy that you don't need to use DVD Decrypter first though.

You can pull the DTS 9624 out of the multiplex directly from DVDDecrypter by using Stream Processing too - I decode with the DTS-HD StreamPlayer.

Isnt it strange that a mix canned by the record company originally for not sounding 'modern enough' can win a surround grammy while new music releases in 5.1 dont ?

The header says 16-bits probably because of DVD-V spec requirements in exactly the same way a DTS-CD multiplex says it is a 16/44.1 stereo WAV file when it isn't.
Pulling the DTS stream right out of the Multiplex with DVDDecrypter & decoding to WAV with the DTS-HD StreamPlayer gave me 24/48 Mono WAV files.
So it looks like AudioMuxer has a slight problem with 24-bit core audio files, maybe? Either that or the DTS-HD StreamPlayer is padding with extra bits.
I have no idea which one os right & which one is not - sound engineer, and not a programmer here ;)

Maybe Elliot mixed this in 48kHz, as I cannot think of any reason whatsoever not to use DTS 9624 here.
This should also be available as a standalone lossless release - DTS is a fine format, but still lossy at the end of the day.

If memory serves DTS-HD MAS accepts only 16 bit for standard DVD DTS encoding. However, I might be wrong.

Back