DVD/DTS Poll Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary (Ellioitt Scheiner 5.1 Mix) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Derek and the Dominos - LAYLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
If memory serves DTS-HD MAS accepts only 16 bit for standard DVD DTS encoding. However, I might be wrong.

My copy happily takes 24/48 with no issues at all. If yours will not, it is a bug.
Any genuine DTS encoder should, as should the Dolby Digital ones - with the notable (and to me, shocking) exception of the transcoder in Sonic Scenarist SD.

I'd love to venture an opinion but I cannot find it anywhere! I must be asking google the wrong question. I even did the upc code. Anybody got a link?
Anybody from central CT?
Thanks
Rik

Just my box set in from Barnes & Noble!
All the contents of the box set were in great condition, and the 5.1 mix is amazing! Definitely much better than the SACD mix.
Worth every penny I spent! :)

Well, at least they made more box sets. Too bad they won't sell the disc on it's own.

An "8". It does most things better than the SACD but it's still not perfect. The limitations of the original recording may be what's getting in the way of me rating it more highly!? Although some of the mixing decisions of the SACD team work better than ES'. I dunno.. Either way it was an inspired move by whoever at Universal to put this out.. just maybe not in that bloody great box full of "other assorted lovely junk"..!!

Glad it got a REAL 5.1 mix by ES.
1 point off for beeng lossy and not being available separately.
Another case of tape deterioration being clearly evident...
Still, a gem...

Still, a gem...

The music was always sublime but it never really was a sonic masterpiece. I do love the Scheiner mix though supurb

Still, a gem...

totally with you on the shape of the tapes.. but I wonder how much of the sound deficiencies are also to do with the original recording quality? I've never heard this album sound totally spectacular, have you?

I gave the Scheiner Layla a 10 in my earlier post. It's a bit less muddy than the others. No matter whether you slice it with 3 breaks between sides (LP), 1 break(cassette or 2CD) or no breaks, (DVD-V, SACD , single CD), it's muddy. I've owned 3 cassettes, 3 1/2 speed mastered Direct Disc Labs, ALL 6 of which had a dropout or skip! Also the 2CD, 4 CD box, SACD & this box. 10 copies in all (12 if you count this box as 3 - DVD-V, CD & LP's.) They all sound like some flavor of mud. The performance & Scheiner mix are both spectacular. It's just more spectacular mud.
totally with you on the shape of the tapes.. but I wonder how much of the sound deficiencies are also to do with the original recording quality? I've never heard this album sound totally spectacular, have you?

I gave the Scheiner Layla a 10 in my earlier post. It's a bit less muddy than the others. No matter whether you slice it with 3 breaks between sides (LP), 1 break(cassette or 2CD) or no breaks, (DVD-V, SACD , single CD), it's muddy. I've owned 3 cassettes, 3 1/2 speed mastered Direct Disc Labs, ALL 6 of which had a dropout or skip! Also the 2CD, 4 CD box, SACD & this box. 10 copies in all (11 if you count this box as 2 - DVD-V & LP's.) They all sound like some flavor of mud. The performance & Scheiner mix are both spectacular. It's just more spectacular mud.

spectacular mud'll do for me! like a pig in it where Claptons' concerned!

Hi All,

I give this one a 10 with an asterisk. The music and the mix are superlative, and this is definitely one I go to for surround demos. Having said that, the packaging is not just excessive and extortive (making you spend tons for one mix), but damaging. The slip-in slot on the CD storage sleeve has scuffed the edge of my disc. Be advised that the correct way to store this disc is to extract it from the sleeve on first arrival and place it in some other protective case. For me the investment was $118, and thus it is one of the most expensive mixes I own (along with Quadrophenia and Aqualung). At least we get two mixes with the Immersion boxes.

I do have the SACD version, and the surround mix does not compare. Do not bother with the SACD. The box set is the way to go.

Ken

I gave the Scheiner Layla a 10 in my earlier post. It's a bit less muddy than the others. No matter whether you slice it with 3 breaks between sides (LP), 1 break(cassette or 2CD) or no breaks, (DVD-V, SACD , single CD), it's muddy. I've owned 3 cassettes, 3 1/2 speed mastered Direct Disc Labs, ALL 6 of which had a dropout or skip! Also the 2CD, 4 CD box, SACD & this box. 10 copies in all (12 if you count this box as 3 - DVD-V, CD & LP's.) They all sound like some flavor of mud. The performance & Scheiner mix are both spectacular. It's just more spectacular mud.

This one was never an audiophile delight though. I've got almost as many versions as you do ( no cassettes, but have worn out 2 sets of vinyl, still have the MFSL CD (which I hate), the SACD (which I hate even more), and the 20th anniversary remix (not too bad, but not as good to me as the original) as well as this boxed set.
My only gripes with the box set are that there is no High Resolution stereo mix anywhere to be seen - I had to get that from HDtracks, who cocked it up and sent the first 7 tracks as mono 24/96 originally - they are now stereo versions with the monos long gone, although in all honesty the mono mixes are not that bad and I think they sound better than the MFSL remix for the 7 tracks I have, and the lack of a lossless surround version - it's only a DVD5 so they could have added this I think. Or a high res stereo.
My other gripe is that this never got a standalone release - do UMG actually want to sell records? you have to wonder, sometimes.....

This scheiner mix is great. It's almost unbelievable to me that it was rejected in favour of the dreadfull mess that Mick Guzauski made of it, which to my ears should have been the rejected one.

Mud Baths all round, methinks......all together now "Lay-laaah"

I think the mix on the SACD was chosen because the engineer was tight with Simon Climie, who was Clapton's producer of choice for everything at the time the SACD came out.

I think the mix on the SACD was chosen because the engineer was tight with Simon Climie, who was Clapton's producer of choice for everything at the time the SACD came out.

funny it was the same team (Guzauski mixing/Climie producing the 5.1 mix) as the DVDA's of "Reptile" & "Back Home".

far prefer those two surround mixes on DVDA to the Guzauski/Climie "Layla" SACD. I wonder what went wrong with "Layla"!?

funny it was the same team (Guzauski mixing/Climie producing the 5.1 mix) as the DVDA's of "Reptile" & "Back Home".

far prefer those two surround mixes on DVDA to the Guzauski/Climie "Layla" SACD. I wonder what went wrong with "Layla"!?

Record company politics, aparently the scheiner mix was dropped originally as it was not modern sounding, hell its not a modern album how is it supposed to sopund ?

More like this than the modern sounding SACD thats for sure.

Wonder which mix received the Grammy ?

Back