DVD/DTS Poll Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary (Ellioitt Scheiner 5.1 Mix) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Derek and the Dominos - LAYLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
I voted 5 due to the horrible mastering. Clipping throughout. No dynamic range in fronts. Terrible!

Solid 10. One of my favorite surround mixes ever. It took a long time to track down, but man was it worth it! Mr. Scheiner absolutely killed this. This album always had great surround potential with all the layered guitar parts, and with this mix it's finally been realized.

The mix on "Bell Bottom Blues" is incredible with the dueling guitar fills blasting out of each rear speaker. The title track is also quite amazing with the lead guitar line centered and two harmony lines anchored in the rears. Plus, the piano on the instrumental half of the song is completely isolated in the rears.

The only thing that bugs me about this release is the loud mastering. I don't mind that it's presented in a lossy codec though: It sounds much clearer than the stereo version to my ears.

"Bell Bottom Blues":

"Layla":

Last edited:
It was/Is a travesty that this mix has not got a proper Hi rez release, when The HFPA disc was released it should have had all mixes on it. not just the stereo

No hi-res, not available outside of a big expensive oop box set. It drives me crazy :mad:@: And don't get me started on the upcoming stereo MoFi SACD :howl

I find humor in the fact so many people want a hi-rez version of an album that is full of fuzzy guitars.:confused:

All kidding aside, the technical aspects of this recording are just fine. Don't worry about the fact that it's a lossy encoding. If you like Layla and you like multichannel sound, find some way to get your hands on this recording! The mix is classic Scheiner: it illuminates the original two channel mix while remaining faithful to it. Given the density of this recording (often five independent guitar parts) the approach really pays off. The tablas sound great, too. Get it! For me the multichannel mix was the only part of the box set that mattered. Yes, the packaging sucks.

P.S. If you're in the Bay Area and you want to hear it, message me.

All kidding aside, the technical aspects of this recording are just fine. Don't worry about the fact that it's a lossy encoding. If you like Layla and you like multichannel sound, find some way to get your hands on this recording! The mix is classic Scheiner: it illuminates the original two channel mix while remaining faithful to it. Given the density of this recording (often five independent guitar parts) the approach really pays off. The tablas sound great, too. Get it! For me the multichannel mix was the only part of the box set that mattered. Yes, the packaging sucks.

P.S. If you're in the Bay Area and you want to hear it, message me.

Unfortunately, some of us missed the boat on this deluxe release but I, personally, was turned off by the inclusion of a LOSSY DVD DTS/DD 5.1 of Layla. Current prices even on Amazon are $430+ so doubt if I'll be pulling the trigger on this one.

IMO, Elliot Scheiner's brilliant remix deserves its own BD~A 5.1 release and doubtful at this juncture whether Universal will release a stand alone version. I'm sure that would really piss off owners of this deluxe boxset.:(

Since GNR is now out, and everyone is talking about the wonderful mix...I saw Layla mentioned. So I have been searching for blu ray audio disc. I have found it for $70.00. Just the blu ray. Seems high to me. Was this pulled from a set, or actually released on its own? Is it commercially available for sale or is what I found a leftover copy that is no longer in circulation?

Since GNR is now out, and everyone is talking about the wonderful mix...I saw Layla mentioned. So I have been searching for blu ray audio disc. I have found it for $70.00. Just the blu ray. Seems high to me. Was this pulled from a set, or actually released on its own? Is it commercially available for sale or is what I found a leftover copy that is no longer in circulation?

The ES remix in the box set was a DVD with DTS/DD 5.1 sound. There was NO stand alone BD~A of the ES remix [which, BTW, is EXCEPTIONAL].

There were several versions(attempts)of Layla...there was a blu ray audio(stereo)and there was a surround SACD and a stereo SACD....all 3 were not very good...don't waste your money...the only worthwhile version is contained in the box set done by ES...

Thanks for the responses. I will see if I can procure a copy of that DVD then. If it exists.....

Once you accept the fact that you have to buy the box set....the choices aren't many...and of course they are expensive...you have to be patient and wait for a used one to come on Ebay or Discogs...or someone on here or SHF...those are your sources...right now here are the offerings on discogs...right now on Ebay the option is one from Japan that does have the ES mix you want...but it also has SHM-CDs...which you don't need and it raises the price here here is what the disc looks like

IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG

FWIW, IMHO, the SACD is not worthless. It makes the album about as enjoyable as I need it to be, anyway.
No, I haven't heard the Scheiner mix, and I can easily take on faith that it's better.
I'm not opposed to finding the box at the right price, rescuing the DVD and sending the rest on to a good home, perhaps.
But, in the possibly vast meantime, the SACD gets occasional spins in my house and it is preferred to any stereo version I've come across.

Back