DVD/DTS Poll Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary (Ellioitt Scheiner 5.1 Mix) [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Derek and the Dominos - LAYLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on the Elliot Scheiner DTS/Dolby 5.1 version here only (y)(n)

Attachments

• UNILP33143-Large.jpg
    UNILP33143-Large.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,380
Last edited:
It's too early to give my vote yet, as the initial instinct is to go straight for the "10" and "wow, what a cracker" thread.
This deserves much better than that though, so please bear with me whilst I delay the actual vote until play number four or five.
Anybody who has this on pre-order need not worry either - this is no "station to station" and the mix is truly superb.
Playing this one for the first time right now - "Little Wing" just finished (and I did not know there were 2 lead lines in this one where Clapton had literally doubled his own solo!!!)
and it's like falling in love with an old flame you somehow let get away from you back in high school out of sheer carelessness only to discover she just got even more beautiful!

Will post properly in a few days time, but this is so well worth the wait.
The only serious question for the label has to be "why are you not making this more widely available"?

Curse the recession and not being able to afford or justify the expense of the box just for the one disc.

will have to loom to the grey market I guess unless someone in the record company can be persuaded to release the surround disc on its own or in a more reasoanble package.

If the labels were smart, they would release EVERY Elliot Schiener mix. He does it right.

The Layla SACD is a total WASTE. Why go through the exercise of pressing and releasing a disc to market that SUCKS!!!!

Can't wait for this one. Sounds like our UK contingent got a jump on us! :D

10. No brainer. I listened to it at high volume in a darkened room last night and it was wonderful, just wonderful.

Packaging is half baked - you'll need to get some spare jewel boxes for the discs.

Packaging is half baked - you'll need to get some spare jewel boxes for the discs.

Arghhhh.... I was thinking of splitting the set and giving my brother the Vinyl, but if the packaging is Half baked... maybe not...

Pity I love Elliot Mixes.....

P.S. Has Elliot done any 5.1 mixes recently apart form this.. the last one I remember before this was Morph the Cat?

Arghhhh.... I was thinking of splitting the set and giving my brother the Vinyl, but if the packaging is Half baked... maybe not...

Pity I love Elliot Mixes.....

P.S. Has Elliot done any 5.1 mixes recently apart form this.. the last one I remember before this was Morph the Cat?

Don't let the packaging put you off. Give your brother the LPs, and put the 5.1 disc in a jewel box. This set is kind of essential!

I ordered this from UK, because I just couldn't wait. It arrived Monday and to my horror, I found the foldout on the lid had been ripped and the pin broken off the "Derek is Eric" badge. Also, the pin punched a hole through decal and poster. Most of the damage seems to have been done by the book; which is just banging around loose inside the case. The LP folder is ripped at the top where one LP pushed through as well.

The cheapest method I can find to send it back is USPS at $50. I don't see how Amazon UK shipped it here for 4 GBP. The good news is, while debating whether and how to send it back, I listened to the 5.1 disc and have to agree it is sublime.

I hope the US versions are packed better internally. Reading the comments on the Amazon UK site; there are a lot of packaging complaints.

- Ben

The cheapest method I can find to send it back is USPS at $50.

I decided to keep it. The discs are all in fine condition - and that is what counts. It is not worth it to send back and maybe not get shipping refunded only to possibly get another from the US with the same problems if they don't fix the packaging.

Well I like tehhe mix a lot and this disc really benifits from cranking up,
Ply Loud be proud, and make Universal make this available to all at a reasonable price its too good to be stuck in a very expensive box

I ordered this from UK, because I just couldn't wait. It arrived Monday and to my horror, I found the foldout on the lid had been ripped and the pin broken off the "Derek is Eric" badge.......

I had exactly the same problem :yikes, but luckily I ordered it from a local website.

I didn't have to pay for postage - I just had to drive 20 mins to their distribution site. I have a replacement with no damage now! Luckily I got their last one in stock (y).

The disc sounds great - I don't have the SACD to compare, but sounds like I'm not missing much. However it might have been useful to have the SACD case to store the DVD :eek:.

You can really hear the layers of guitars on Layla :phones.

I threw caution to the wind and purchased based on Neil Wilke's recommendation on this. I also have the SACD and was never impressed with mix.

I had thought all of the packaging issues errors were internet mountains out of molehills, but my copy (sent from CD universe), had the inner cover fold when you open the box, somewhat mangled... Everything else was ok.... The mix is extremely dynamic especially for a recording of this age.

http://www.grammy.com/nominees

So this album's been nominated for Best Surround Sound Album Grammy. If it wins, what would it take Universal to re-release this 5.1 mix as a SACD (via Acoustic Sounds), a standalone Blu-Ray disc (like Tom Petty's discs), or a CD/DVD-A or CD/Blu-Ray combo (like Rush's Moving Pictures)?

OR Just rerelease the box set? I might buy it if the price is right...

http://www.grammy.com/nominees

So this album's been nominated for Best Surround Sound Album Grammy. If it wins, what would it take Universal to re-release this 5.1 mix as a SACD (via Acoustic Sounds), a standalone Blu-Ray disc (like Tom Petty's discs), or a CD/DVD-A or CD/Blu-Ray combo (like Rush's Moving Pictures).
Which ever nominee could do the most for surround sound's future, that's who I hope wins, even though SW probably deserves to win. Note 2L anid TACET as contenders--this is promising for the future of discrete classical mixing.

Just realised that I hadn't voted.... 9

I'm not a huge fan of Eric (or Derek) - but Elliot has done a great job.

The only way to hear this.

Back