View Poll Results: Please cast an overall vote for Layla (Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mix)

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

8 38.10%

8 38.10%

5 23.81%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs (Ellioitt Scheiner5.1)

Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: POLL: Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs (Ellioitt Scheiner5

Here is the screen shot from extracting it:

Derek.JPG

at your sevice ma'am kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: POLL: Derek & The Dominos - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs (Ellioitt Scheiner5

Quote Originally Posted by neil wilkes View Post

BTW - who's E.F. Hutton??
    (From Wiki)
    "E. F. Hutton & Co. was an American stock brokerage firm founded in 1904 ... became one of the most respected financial firms in the United States and for several decades was the second largest brokerage firm in the United States. The firm was best known for its commercials in the 1970s and 1980s based on the phrase, "When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen" (which usually involved a young professional remarking at a dinner party that his broker was E.F. Hutton, which caused the moderately loud party to stop all conversation to listen to him)."
    So , being the concentric people North Americans are, we believe that the rest of the world should be aware of this slogan.

It was VERY big in the 80's and the early 90's.

And so, the baton is passed on to you...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

400 Club - QQ All Star sukothai's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    Here is the screen shot from extracting it:
    I was extracting the raw DTS streams and then converting them to WAV files with AudioMuxer or foobar2000. Going that route, I was getting 24 bit files. After seeing your snapshot, I captured a disk image and confirmed what you are seeing.

I suppose the conversion to WAV takes it up to 24 bit by default so it doesn't have to scan the entire stream looking for the largest sample. And I suppose this is because DTS doesn't really use a fixed bit depth. I read somewhere that you can't trust the info in the DTS header; as it can be edited to say whatever you want. But I really don't know how to figure out the bit depth of a DTS stream and it probably really is just 16 bit.

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kap'n krunch View Post
    (From Wiki)
    "E. F. Hutton & Co. was an American stock brokerage firm founded in 1904 ... So , being the concentric people North Americans are, we believe that the rest of the world should be aware of this slogan.

It was VERY big in the 80's and the early 90's.

And so, the baton is passed on to you...
    I didn't think many would get it agewise or geographically, but it's sure interesting to see who does.

Level
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sukothai View Post
    I was extracting the raw DTS streams and then converting them to WAV files with AudioMuxer or foobar2000. Going that route, I was getting 24 bit files. After seeing your snapshot, I captured a disk image and confirmed what you are seeing.

I suppose the conversion to WAV takes it up to 24 bit by default so it doesn't have to scan the entire stream looking for the largest sample. And I suppose this is because DTS doesn't really use a fixed bit depth. I read somewhere that you can't trust the info in the DTS header; as it can be edited to say whatever you want. But I really don't know how to figure out the bit depth of a DTS stream and it probably really is just 16 bit.
    Interesting. I'll take a stab at it with eac3to like I would for a DTS 96/24 track.

If you use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and set it to split each chapter into its own vob file, then convert those vobs to flac using eac3to, eac3to will tell you the actual file parameters. If it's not 24 bit, it'll kick back a message saying something like "DTS header says 24 bit, but the audio does not exceed 16 bit. Encoding at 16 bit." Either way, it'll tell what kind of data lives on the stream.

I learned that trick from Neil a while back. I believe it was the only way to reliably extract DTS 96/24 a couple of years ago. It may still be.
    Last edited by Analogueghost; 01-05-2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: edited for clarity

Masters of Fine Listening rtbluray's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought this box set for just under $90 on eBay! Can't wait to finally listen to this Grammy-nominated mix!

Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Analogueghost View Post
    Interesting. I'll take a stab at it with eac3to like I would for a DTS 96/24 track.

If you use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode and set it to split each chapter into its own vob file, then convert those vobs to flac using eac3to, eac3to will tell you the actual file parameters. If it's not 24 bit, it'll kick back a message saying something like "DTS header says 24 bit, but the audio does not exceed 16 bit. Encoding at 16 bit." Either way, it'll tell what kind of data lives on the stream.

I learned that trick from Neil a while back. I believe it was the only way to reliably extract DTS 96/24 a couple of years ago. It may still be.
    FYI - "Extract Audio from DVD" seems to work for DTS from a DVD (Decrypted using using DVD Decrypter) via Audiomuxer - for a 96/24 track (Depeche Mode violator in this case):
    Capturedts.JPG

Audiomuxer is the easiest way I've done it for 96/24 DTS. Of course there are other tools out there that you can buy that you don't need to use DVD Decrypter first though.

Banned
    Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad this online factor functions as well as your post definitely helped me. Might take you up on that home advice you.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star neil wilkes's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    FYI - "Extract Audio from DVD" seems to work for DTS from a DVD (Decrypted using using DVD Decrypter) via Audiomuxer - for a 96/24 track (Depeche Mode violator in this case):
    Capturedts.JPG

Audiomuxer is the easiest way I've done it for 96/24 DTS. Of course there are other tools out there that you can buy that you don't need to use DVD Decrypter first though.
    You can pull the DTS 9624 out of the multiplex directly from DVDDecrypter by using Stream Processing too - I decode with the DTS-HD StreamPlayer.
    Oh well, whatever - nevermind.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.grammy.com/nominees?year=2011&genre=54

Layla's won the Grammy for Best Surround Sound album! Unfortunately it beat Steven Wilson, but maybe now there will be a more widely circulated release of this 5.1 mix on either SACD, Blu-Ray audio or DVD-Audio disc.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star rusinurbe's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 113
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Isnt it strange that a mix canned by the record company originally for not sounding 'modern enough' can win a surround grammy while new music releases in 5.1 dont ?
    Cheers Fletch

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Level
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Blog entry25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sukothai View Post

The header says 16-bits probably because of DVD-V spec requirements in exactly the same way a DTS-CD multiplex says it is a 16/44.1 stereo WAV file when it isn't.
    Pulling the DTS stream right out of the Multiplex with DVDDecrypter & decoding to WAV with the DTS-HD StreamPlayer gave me 24/48 Mono WAV files.
    So it looks like AudioMuxer has a slight problem with 24-bit core audio files, maybe? Either that or the DTS-HD StreamPlayer is padding with extra bits.
    I have no idea which one os right & which one is not - sound engineer, and not a programmer here

Maybe Elliot mixed this in 48kHz, as I cannot think of any reason whatsoever not to use DTS 9624 here.
    This should also be available as a standalone lossless release - DTS is a fine format, but still lossy at the end of the day.

Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves DTS-HD MAS accepts only 16 bit for standard DVD DTS encoding. However, I might be wrong.

Level
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    It would be nice if they would offer it as a limited "Grammy Award Winning" edition, either in Blu-Ray audio, SACD or DVD-A. Even if it were at the same price as the WYWH SACD, it would be a much better deal than having to buy a $125 box set.
    :-jon

16. Likes Ge Someone liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is currently available in Australia on Fishpond for A$104 with free shipping so I ordered a copy last night. Good news for me as I thought I'd never actually ge a copy

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grill View Post
    If memory serves DTS-HD MAS accepts only 16 bit for standard DVD DTS encoding. However, I might be wrong.
    My copy happily takes 24/48 with no issues at all. If yours will not, it is a bug.
    Any genuine DTS encoder should, as should the Dolby Digital ones - with the notable (and to me, shocking) exception of the transcoder in Sonic Scenarist SD.

Level
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to venture an opinion but I cannot find it anywhere! I must be asking google the wrong question. I even did the upc code. Anybody got a link?
    Anybody from central CT?
    Thanks
    Rik

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta look a little closer - the link to Best Buy was posted above - here's the link to the details http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Layla+%2...ayla&lp=6&cp=1

It is not available as just the DVD - you have to buy the whole shebang boxset to get it - around $125.00

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    Gotta look a little closer - the link to Best Buy was posted above - here's the link to the details http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Layla+%2...ayla&lp=6&cp=1

It is not available as just the DVD - you have to buy the whole shebang boxset to get it - around $125.00
    Barnes & Noble's cheaper:
    http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Layl...326?x=16122402

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rtbluray View Post
    Still about $80 more than I'm willing to spend.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my box set in from Barnes & Noble!
    All the contents of the box set were in great condition, and the 5.1 mix is amazing! Definitely much better than the SACD mix.
    Worth every penny I spent!

Level
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least they made more box sets. Too bad they won't sell the disc on it's own.
    :-jon

Level
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesSocial25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Post Thanks / Like

An "8". It does most things better than the SACD but it's still not perfect. The limitations of the original recording may be what's getting in the way of me rating it more highly!? Although some of the mixing decisions of the SACD team work better than ES'. I dunno.. Either way it was an inspired move by whoever at Universal to put this out.. just maybe not in that bloody great box full of "other assorted lovely junk"..!!

at your sevice ma'am kap'n krunch's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,207
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Blog entryOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad it got a REAL 5.1 mix by ES.
    1 point off for beeng lossy and not being available separately.
    Another case of tape deterioration being clearly evident...
    Still, a gem...
    Avatar: a Goddess...Capucine -...The Ice Queen
    -------------------------------------
    "LIFE is NOT in Stereo , it's in SURROUND, so why limit your music to stereo...? By that same train of thought we should've stayed in MONO..." -Me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast