Lafayette LR3000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

QM

OK... I've stumbled on a Lafayette LR3000 with the optional CD-4 PCB. The CD-4 board is not yet installed as I've purchased the receiver from one and the CD-4 module from another. The receiver appears new and unused and the CD-4 module is NOS.

I don't know what to expect from this unit, so if anyone has any info or manuals for it I'd appreciate some help and advise.

As I always do with any newly acquired vintage audio, ham or other electronics I will slowly bring those electrolytic capacitors to life with my variac, but I wonder if anyone knows of any other precautions I should take. Please advise if you do.

Many thanks,
Bill (QM)

Hi there! Nice little receiver,I own a LR 5000 and this is one of its' little brothers. The specs I have on this unit are as follows: 15 watts RMS/CH. into 8 ohms at 0.8% THD(20-20KHZ) with all channels driven, PWR Bandwidth 10-35KHZ. Input sensitivity:Mag.Phono 0.6mv(HI),1.8mv(MED.),4mv(LOW). Aux #1+2,250mv and Tape play 500mv. FM Sensitivity 2.2 mv(IHF),capture ratio 2.5db;stereo separation 35db. This receiver has a Full Logic Wavematching plus Variblend SQ Decoder, RM Decoder and you have the optional CD-4 board for it. I never got one with my LR 5000, so I don't know what kind of circuitry they used for CD-4. The only precaution I can think of is be careful with that variac!! :eek: This SQ board uses the Sony IC'S to reproduce the full logic decoding, and it would be a shame if you created an instability in the regulator( too low voltage), and bagged those chips!!:( If the receiver is as unused as you say it is,I would just physically inspect the caps(look for obvious shrinkage on the plastic skin on the electrolitics coming off the top of the cap) and just run it up normally off the wall plug. Regards,Another(oh-no!) Bill.:p

Thanks Bill. If you're interested I'll post an update when I get it going and tested.

QM

Hi, I know this is an old thread. But I need a photo of the Lafayette CD-4 internal Demodulator, or a photo, of the back of a LR-3000 or LR-5000 with the Demodulator installed.
I purchased a beautiful LR-5000 from a scoundrel on eBay recently who posted 7 pictures, 6-7 are of the back #6 Clearly shows, the two small dials Black/Red in the holes below CD-4 Seperation is printed.
This thing went up BIN and peeps were swarming it, I had minutes to look at pics and description which appeared to be a modified copy of Lafayette material. I was on fence but with Demodulator I pulled the trigger.
I got it and it is outstanding.But No Demodulator installed. Just 2-gaping holes and fresh Tool marks on the case screws.
I saved all the pics and description. Finally took a better look at the last #7 photo which was of the back at a weird angle. The Demodulator is GONE!
I contacted the seller, with details of HIS pics, and he claims that he can not see what I'm talking about!
I told him I'd like a partial refund, since what I received was not what was implied in description or pictured.
I want to buy an stand alone, but do not have funds. Seller says in my case he would give me a full refund
Minus shipping $82.50. I said I just want ALL of what I was buying, I also said I'm not saying you removed it but someone removed it. Your pictures show it! It is not going back to any place by mail, these units can maybe take one mailing if done right. Everything else seems in order, but no time to inspect further, Turntable is next, to test SQ. I hope he didn't remove that board too. I ordered a service manual, it does not even mention the Demodulator. Looking for any info on the demodulator.
BTW: I have 4 KLH Model Twenty-Threes hooked into it and it the sound is beautiful. The receiver is
Outstanding in it's lack of noise. I live far away from decent radio. I bought it because I collect Lafayette.
Thought I was get two things I need CD-4 and SQ-W, still looking for a Stand alone SQ-W. CD-4 can wait.
Thanks, Sancho

Hi, I know this is an old thread. But I need a photo of the Lafayette CD-4 internal Demodulator, or a photo, of the back of a LR-3000 or LR-5000 with the Demodulator installed.
I purchased a beautiful LR-5000 from a scoundrel on eBay recently who posted 7 pictures, 6-7 are of the back #6 Clearly shows, the two small dials Black/Red in the holes below CD-4 Seperation is printed.
This thing went up BIN and peeps were swarming it, I had minutes to look at pics and description which appeared to be a modified copy of Lafayette material. I was on fence but with Demodulator I pulled the trigger.
I got it and it is outstanding.But No Demodulator installed. Just 2-gaping holes and fresh Tool marks on the case screws.
I saved all the pics and description. Finally took a better look at the last #7 photo which was of the back at a weird angle. The Demodulator is GONE!
I contacted the seller, with details of HIS pics, and he claims that he can not see what I'm talking about!
I told him I'd like a partial refund, since what I received was not what was implied in description or pictured.
I want to buy an stand alone, but do not have funds. Seller says in my case he would give me a full refund
Minus shipping $82.50. I said I just want ALL of what I was buying, I also said I'm not saying you removed it but someone removed it. Your pictures show it! It is not going back to any place by mail, these units can maybe take one mailing if done right. Everything else seems in order, but no time to inspect further, Turntable is next, to test SQ. I hope he didn't remove that board too. I ordered a service manual, it does not even mention the Demodulator. Looking for any info on the demodulator.
BTW: I have 4 KLH Model Twenty-Threes hooked into it and it the sound is beautiful. The receiver is
Outstanding in it's lack of noise. I live far away from decent radio. I bought it because I collect Lafayette.
Thought I was get two things I need CD-4 and SQ-W, still looking for a Stand alone SQ-W. CD-4 can wait.
Thanks, Sancho

Hi Sancho, IMG_5841.JPGIMG_5842.JPGIMG_5843.JPGIMG_5844.JPG

DM me if you want to discuss an SQW (I have two of them), and the LR 3000 with CD 4 module. Regards.........Neil

I just bought a new Integra receiver. It has no 7.1 input, however, so my LR-5000 with CD-4 module installed & both instruction books included may be up for grabs now.

I just bought a new Integra receiver. It has no 7.1 input, however, so my LR-5000 with CD-4 module installed & both instruction books included may be up for grabs now.
Please let me know if you happen to still have this. I found an LR-5000 and in the excitement of finding a real life SQ-W that could be in my hands went ahead and hit the buy now option! I noticed the CD-4 area looks a bit empty in the photos. How do you go about picking up a module if one is needed? Anyone here have one on hand? As someone else posted... this appears to be made of unobtanium!

Last edited:
My LR5000 has the CD4 module installed.
My Marantz CD400 is humming, and not to the music, so looking at how to fix it or other options. Just getting started on the changing of the cables and playing with the ground. As often with vintage systems, it worked last week until I moved it all from one shelf to a new one.

I have 2 LR5000s and a LR4000A and find that the best CD4 I can get is by using JVC ADD-5s outboards. They work better than the CD4 modules installed in the LR5000s.
Currently using a Marantz CD-400 and figured out not to leave a preamp on when using it. lol. Seems to be working well, currently plugged into a Lafayette LA-64. Using the 2CH switch from the Marantz lets the LA-64 do it's thing for SQ but need to make sure to switch the LA-64 to Stereo 4CH when playing CD-4 as it will play fine with SQ on but it definitely sounds different. Listening to the Love Theme from the Godfather at the moment. Was looking to set all this up in a second room when the LR-5000 comes in today but if it doesn't have the CD-4 module I'll be looking for another one! What's the chance it fell in on itself and is installed but just loose?

What's the legality of uploading a 50-year-old document for all to see? While trying to find this online kept leading to pay for sites, why should user manuals cost money?

Attachments

• PXL_20230406_234705322.jpg
    PXL_20230406_234705322.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
What's the legality of uploading a 50-year-old document for all to see? While trying to find this online kept leading to pay for sites, why should user manuals cost money?
You can upload it to HiFi Engine then it will be available for free for anyone who signs up for a free account. I don't know the actual legalities, but as these documents are so old it shouldn't be a problem if you want to share them!

You can upload it to HiFi Engine then it will be available for free for anyone who signs up for a free account. I don't know the actual legalities, but as these documents are so old it shouldn't be a problem if you want to share them!
The manual and the unit itself looks almost new. The way it was shipped with a couple pieces of styrofoam wrapped in bubble paper at least but loose in a storage box... I'm not a fan of these eBay sellers who find the stuff at garage sales charge hundreds of dollars for it and then can't even pay another couple bucks to put extra padding so it doesn't move around in the box. When I first got into this, ordered a Panasonic all-in-one quadrophonic 8 track system, that dude packed it so tight you could have thrown it down a flight of stairs and it would have survived! I've also seen record dealers Saran wrap the records with bubble wrap too and then the next person will just have them all loose in a box. I'm going to start giving directions to these genius eBay sellers before they ship.

It's closed to new members! I would if I could! Did anyone else get the actual manual for theirs? It's a pretty good read, they put alot of thought into those back in the day. Typo on page 9, I can only imagine the cost of having to go back to the printer 50 years ago!

I'm going to start giving directions to these genius eBay sellers before they ship.
As someone who occasionally sells on ebay, very few things will cause a seller to ignore your desires than to try to change the deal after the sale is made, and adding shipping requirements is high on the list. Most sellers try to make sure that their sales arrive undamaged, although there are certainly circumstances that will defy the most careful packer.

@barfle This is what it looked like when I opened the box. Adding shipping requirements as opposed to common sense expectations on how to ship something without allowing it to be damaged in transit are not the same thing. Take a look at this. The bottom dude has some styrofoam, that's not even covering the entirety of the packaging. Then he threw in a couple pieces of foam on the side. Think about what shippers do when shipping things and you will notice that this thing got beat pretty good. There was no foam on the side and there's no foam on top. It's just bouncing around inside that box. What's troubling is this guy is selling about 20 more vintage amplifiers on eBay at the moment. Your package could arrive like this next. Now you tell me going forward Do you think I need to tell people how to properly package a 50 yr old component or what?

Attachments

• PXL_20230406_233919803.jpg
    PXL_20230406_233919803.jpg
    797.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230406_233838357.jpg
    PXL_20230406_233838357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
@barfle This is what it looked like when I opened the box. Adding shipping requirements as opposed to common sense expectations on how to ship something without allowing it to be damaged in transit are not the same thing. Take a look at this. The bottom dude has some styrofoam, that's not even covering the entirety of the packaging. Then he threw in a couple pieces of foam on the side. Think about what shippers do when shipping things and you will notice that this thing got beat pretty good. There was no foam on the side and there's no foam on top. It's just bouncing around inside that box. What's troubling is this guy is selling about 20 more vintage amplifiers on eBay at the moment. Your package could arrive like this next. Now you tell me going forward Do you think I need to tell people how to properly package a 50 yr old component or what?
Of course, you can always request a refund for damaged goods. Ebay is pretty adamant about buyer protection that way.

Back