MISC: Panasonic RS-888S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I notice the manual shows how to test the cassette speed but does not offer any way to adjust it. Mine runs a bit fast. I acquired a portable Panasonic cassette deck for 5 bucks that has the IC speed control on board. I'll try swapping motor's and see if it runs at the correct speed.

Would someone be willing to send me a PDF of the service manual? I have one of these, and love it. Mostly functional, though the turntable seems to be stuck at 45 RPM in both switch positions, and the 8-track isn't quite working yet (though I managed to take it apart and at least get it out of perpetual record mode). Great sound, can't wait to get it fully functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you gotten a service manual for your 888 yet? I've had a bit of a hiatus from here, but now finding my way back. If you still need the manual, I can send you a pdf file of it.

I am a new owner of an RS-888s. I bought from a friend that bought it from an estate sale. Wish I knew more of its story other than it was purchased by a serviceman somewhere sometime. My unit seems to be ailing from similar problems as other posters on this thread. The 8-track does not play, and the FM doesn't work.

One thing I noticed about the turntable is that for many records I have had to widen the hole with a knife to get it to fit on the turntable. Has anyone else had that problem?

If anyone has a copy of that service manual/schematic around I would be more than pleased to get a copy!

Dang nice lookin' unit! I actually have one now in about as good condition. I had gotten it, along with its speakers, on ebay late last year from its original owner. She told me that it was her high school graduation present from 1974. I think she said her dad was stationed in Japan at the time.
Only hang-up it had was the head mechanism was stuck. If yours hasn't had that issue, I'm surprised, as it seems that is a common ailment amongst these systems that use this mechanism.
I do have the service manual as a pdf file. It includes the schematics. I had purchased it on line a couple of years ago. I'd like to get the original paper manual, but that will be hard to find due to these being 'overseas' units. Just send me an e-mail address and I'll send it your way.

The BSR turntable is very common. I heard at one point 250,000 a week were leaving the plant. I would try a different spindle. I replaced the record player with a belt drive BSR and couldn't be happier. WAY less rumble. :(A couple people have asked me for the schematics and the .pdf must have gone out with an old computer.

Attachments

• panasonic turntable25.jpg
    panasonic turntable25.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 357
I realize this thread is 14 years old!!! But i just came into possession of an RS-888s. Friggin awesome. Hopefully someone is still active on this thread. Does anyone have the service manual? Or any other helpful information?

Mine is in pretty good condition. Just needs some cleaning and what not. Thanks!

[email protected] if anyone has the manual!

Last edited:
I realize this thread is 14 years old!!! But i just came into possession of an RS-888s. Friggin awesome. Hopefully someone is still active on this thread. Does anyone have the service manual? Or any other helpful information?

Mine is in pretty good condition. Just needs some cleaning and what not. Thanks!

[email protected] if anyone has the manual!
Welcome to the QQ forum @Mike_1775

Those are nice units. Don’t think I have ever seen a Quad “all in one” with a cassette section before. I can imagine that brand new this was an impressive system, especially for a younger person. Even has separate meters for the cassette section and a cool 2/4 channel light to groove on o_O. I have a similar system but only cassette and no quad. I think it is a Sears and for a compact system it has more buttons than most separates do.....including a glass flip-down panel with more buttons and mic jacks.

It must had been very expensive with Dolby cassette and FM, and instead of meters above the cassette portion they are on the front, and above the deck is this mesmerizing green light thing that shows tape movement. I am a sucker for such novelties. I guess I am just easily amused.

Have you gotten a service manual for your 888 yet? I've had a bit of a hiatus from here, but now finding my way back. If you still need the manual, I can send you a pdf file of it.
Just ordered one of these today! Long story of how I found this, I bought myself a new AT fully auto turntable (but not auto changer) and separately picked up a MC AT33SA for about half off with a box that looked like it fell off a truck. I didn't realize at the time but it's one piece of the quad puzzle, it handles 15-50,000 hz and is a shibata needle. I've been listening to some of those time life complete sets of 4 albums that would be nice to auto change to the next record and accidentally found someone selling a Panasonic SL-701 and see it's got the 4 RCA outs and in looking up CD-4 for something to compare it to I found this all in one 888s being sold and jumped on it for about 200 bucks. Seller says the 8 track has never been tested... ahem... don't work. I'll know more when it gets here. The questions I have about this, does it directly support 8Ohm speakers or will I need a separate preamp? Is it really an all in wonder?

If possible can you send the manual over my way to help me figure this thing out? Thanks in advance for helping the community on this! Looks like this thread has been going on over a decade!

Back