Computer as a highend audio surround source and player thread..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTS decoder

By: kode54

Adds decoding support for DTS Coherent Acoustics files (.DTS) and DTS WAV files (.DTSWAV). Also includes a packet decoder for Matroska files containing DTS streams, and a decode postprocessor which supports decoding DTS streams from 44100Hz or 48KHz 16-bit lossless PCM streams. (Implementing support for this in other inputs is beyond my control. Currently implemented formats include WAV, audio CD, FLAC, Wavpack, and TAK.)

You sure do need the DTS component if you don't have it then you cant listen to a DTS disc and also convert to flac. If thats the case why do they offer The DTS component.

Not for ripping. For playback it depends on setup and is not necessary if you send digital stream to processor. You do need the plugin (dts component) if you do the dts processing within foobar...

Hope this answers your question...Foobar plays many formats AC-3, Wave, DTS, and even flac and you can convert from one format to another. Myself anything I find or buy I convert it to flac so you can really use any format of your choice wave is a pretty popular.

Not only does Foobar2000 play pretty much anything, but it plays back flacs, even multichannel flacs, gaplessly. Also it supports WASAPI output, so you can avoid your OS mixer and send the "unmolested" bits straight to your DACs (whether on the motherboard or external). That said, I now use Foobar2000 primarily to convert DSD audio into standard flac (I use flac as the primary format for all of my music). Take a look at Kodi (formerly XBMC) as a player. While it's prmarily designed as a video player, it makes a fantastic audio player too. It supports many formats (though I only use flac) and it too provides gapless flac playback and WASAPI (as well as its Linux equivalent, ALSA). Like Foobar2000, Kodi is open source. Most importantly, you can use your Smartphone (IOS or Android) as a fantastic Kodi remote control for a computer whose audio output is connected to your receiver (so you don't need to turn the TV on to listen to music).

Personally I prefer to keep any AC-3 and DTS compressed tracks in their native codecs. AC-3 can be stored in MP4 (.m4a) files, and DTS can be stored in Matroska (.mka) files. The only exception I typically make is for MLP multi-channel audio, which I prefer to transcode to multichannel FLAC (due its more universal support on PCs). So I'm wondering whether Foobar does all this automatically when ripping from DVD video and audio discs, for example. Currently I use a myriad of command-line tools to do the job, so I'm wondering if there's a more automated solution.

Personally I prefer to keep any AC-3 and DTS compressed tracks in their native codecs. AC-3 can be stored in MP4 (.m4a) files, and DTS can be stored in Matroska (.mka) files. The only exception I typically make is for MLP multi-channel audio, which I prefer to transcode to multichannel FLAC (due its more universal support on PCs). So I'm wondering whether Foobar does all this automatically when ripping from DVD video and audio discs, for example. Currently I use a myriad of command-line tools to do the job, so I'm wondering if there's a more automated solution.

Foobar will not rip dvd video or dvd audio discs. It will rip dts cd's which are no different than regular cd's.

I store my dts and ac3 music files in flacs for tagging purposes.

Audiomuxer is the tool you need to get dts,ac3 tracks off a dvd video disc although it will not decrypt so you may need anydvd or something similar. Audiomuxer can also turn regular .dts files into dts wav and flacs.

For dvd audio discs, I use DVDA Explorer...

edit...actually foobar will rip dvd audio discs but DVDA Explorer works better for me but I can't remember exactly why so ymmv...

I still didn't see a response to the question: which file container format does Foobar use to store AC-3 and DTS compressed audio streams?

Not sure what you mean here. Foobar will not convert to ac3 or dts but will play back .ac3, .dts or either format within a wav or flac...

Back