Hybrid View

Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranOverdriveCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry
    Post Thanks / Like

5.1 icon Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio and Blu-Ray release from UMG of Rush's MOVING PICTURES album.

(Scans courtesy of QQ Member 'Don C')

Other discussion leading up to the release of this disc can be found in an earlier (now closed) thread located here: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ctures-reissue

rushmp1.jpg
    rushmp2.jpg
    :-jon

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A]

I listened to the old Mercury CD, the MFSL CD, remastered tracks from Spirit of the Radio, and the deluxe CD and the DVD-A, both stereo and multi channel today. Having listened to all of them, my preference is for the 5.1 DVD-A tracks they are all that I'll listen to from now on.
    So I'm a fan of this. DVD-A But at the same time, I can see that it's not going to everyone's cup of tea. I think that they favored the idea of keeping the sound similar to the original version over taking advantage of the multiple channels. In some places the surround effect is subtle, sounding almost like a Silverline disc, with echo or delay instead of separating the instruments. But what I think is really happening is that they had so many overdubbed guitar tracks to play with that they could put a couple of overdub tracks in the back channels and they still sound a lot like the front channels. With close listening you can tell the difference. There is a big sense of space when playining 5.1 that's just not there in the stereo versions. The drum and bass are more settled in their location than the guitars. The bass is in front, while the guitars are coming from everywhere at once. The surround effect is much better on the drums and organ than for the guitars, more discrete. Often you'll hear cymbals or cowbell or other percussion distinctly coming from behind, which I like. But they move things around a lot as the songs go on, which may bother some people. I'd be listening closely trying to discern some difference between the front and rear, and it would suddenly change. The guitars seem to be a little louder on this version than on the originals, I'm guessing that Alex's influence shows here.
    Regarding the CD, I put this on immediately after listening to a couple of tracks from the MFSL version, and I had to quickly turn down the volume. It's quite a bit louder on the disc in this new version. I'm also hearing some lower level detail on the new disc is more obvious than on the older ones, probably the result of more compression. So I wouldn't recommend getting this just for the CD. I don't think that I can tell any difference between the CD and the stereo tracks of the DVD-A.
    The video quality of the DVD portion is not good, it looks a lot like VHS tape. Overall, I'll give it an eight.

Level
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this here because the other Thread was closed.

For those wondering about the price of the CD+DVD version, Best Buy is advertising it in their flyer this week for $17.99. I think I saw the list price as being $29.99. I picked it up this morning at a Burbank, CA store. They had 20 CD+Blu-ray & only 3 CD+DVD copies. I was thinking about grabbing all 3 DVD copies but I felt that two other people going to that store would be left out. I ordered the CD+Blu-ray copy a couple weeks back. It shipped several days ago but I still haven't received it. Probably, because of the release date, it will make an appearance in the mail today. I wanted both copies because I wanted to support this release, not because I wanted to compare the two versions. I will continue to purchase both versions if any further albums in the "Rush" catalog are released in surround. Oh, by the way, be careful when purchasing this disc because, other than a small sticker with the Blu-ray or DVD logo, both the CD+DVD & CD+Blu-ray copy have the exact same packaging.
    Last edited by Perpendicular; 04-05-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

The local FYE store here has the CD+DVD version for $17.99 (same price as Best Buy).

600 Club - QQ All Star The Rang's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 150
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I got the local Best Buy Canada (who have it listed at $19.99) to price match amazon.ca so it was only $14.49.

Amazon.ca is showing out of stock but BB either didn't notice or didn't care.

Unlike the picture in the first post here, the DVD Audio versions didn't have any stickers on the front.
    Had to check the back to make sure it was the right one.
    The BR variation was clearly marked and they more of them in stock than the DVD.

Cheapest DVD Audio I've ever bought at retail.

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the front stickers are either red or blue. If it's red, it's DVDA. Blue=blu.

Listening to the DTS-MA of the blu-ray as we speak.

I am curious, are we going to get a separate poll place for the blu-ray on the HD poll page?

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Should there be a resolution sound difference between the DVD-A & DTS-MA tracks?
    I would think they would sound the same.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star elmer's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on another thread - but it probably belongs here

I just finished my first listen to the BD. I'm not ready to vote yet but my first impression is close but no cigar. I have no issue with the mix - not overly aggressive but not an ambient mix by any means - guitars, percussion, synths all find their way into the rears. After fiddling with my sub level, I am more satisfied with the bottom end but my biggest concern is the drums, which is a shame because I dig Neal Peart's playing - they just seen a little flat (but that may be the way they were originally recorded). I should point out that I was never a Rush fanboy but enjoyed the occasional casual listen. I can't speak passionately about how this compares to the original mix, what parts are missing, etc. But it's a fairly clean, dynamic surround mix as far as I can tell. The bonus video content does not benefit one bit from being on the Blu Ray - it is a 4.3 aspect ratio and very grainy - the audio is the same as the album - DTS HD MA - completely superfluous and for completists only.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I received my Blu-ray edition today.
    Will there be a Blu-ray Thread too?

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post
    I received my Blu-ray edition today.
    Will there be a Blu-ray Thread too?
    Yup!

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...CTURES-BLU-RAY

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rush - MOVING PICTURES [BLU-RAY Audio]

Rate the Blu-Ray Audio Release of RUSH - "Moving Pictures", released as a CD/BD dual pack.

Other discussion leading up to the release of this disc can be found in an earlier (now closed) thread located here: http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/foru...ctures-reissue

NOTE: YOU CAN RATE AND COMMENT ON THE DVD-AUDIO VERSION OF THIS RELEASE IN THE DVD-A THREAD HERE

Rush Front 800.jpg

Rush Back 800.jpg

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rush - MOVING PICTURES [BLU-RAY]

Got my copy yesterday. Gonna give it a few more listens before I do my review. Though I will say this--it sounds great!

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I got my copy today and it's as good as you'd imagine it is.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

As fascinating as posts about order confirmations and shipping estimates can be, I would like to think that after weeks of the aforementioned posts and boasts about the great deals and fast shipping that someone would have posted even a snippet of what they actually thought of this release by now. I'm sure that you're all listening very carefully before making comments so I will offer up a vote for the BD upon having completed my second full listen - which is 2 more than I have ever listened to of this particular release before. Rush for me was always a band you heard on the local rock FM station back in the '80's - sort of working man's prog. Not that it's a bad thing, but their music never compelled me to listen further. Of course with the advent of surround, I dove in head first with "R30" and "Snakes And Arrows" only to be completely underwhelmed - mainly by the mix - I always had respect for their instrumental prowess.

So first the good; the mix as I had posted earlier, on a parallel thread, is good not great - all channels active and discrete. Keys, guitars, percussion and effects all find their way nicely into the rears. I have heard worse mixes and I have heard ALOT better mixes. So if I were to rate this purely on the "surround effect", an 8 would be generous.

Now the not so good; the drums - their presence is almost "excuse me, pardon me." It sounds as if Neal Peart was hitting a poorly miked phone book instead of a snare drum. There are a few times when the drums threaten to make their presence felt but not nearly enough. I realize that the the drums on this recording may have sounded this way intentionally. With a drum kit of that size and the virtuoso skills of Peart, a surround mix that does not kill with the drums is a missed opportunity. Instead of a 3 dimensional effect, it is kinda "surround light." There is an overabundance of midrange - guitars, bass with more mid than bottom, keys and Geddy Lee's nasal whine (which is admittedly kept in check for most of the proceedings). The bottom end of this recording is for lack of a better term, polite.

Now the really not so good; The BD authoring. While all BD players are not created equal, and my Sony BD350 is a few years old, the load time on this disc is ridiculously long - almost 2 minutes (load time plus the multiple logo intros) before you get to the main screen. Pretty much the same menu as the Tom Petty BD Audios. If you are going to make me wait this long for the disc to load, then give me something more than just a few poorly mastered (visually) videos and the usual, "lyrics, photos, credits" features. I am looking forward to the DVD A version if only for the fact that it won't take nearly as long for me to get to the tunes. With all the anticipation for this release I was hoping for something much more. I hesitate to vote this low but I can't bring myself to give this anything higher than a 6. Perhaps I will feel differently down the road a piece - I hope so.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star BananaSlug's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

To me your first paragraph seems to paint Rush fans as musical lightweights that spend their time mindlessly posting shipping details and never getting to actually listening to the music and posting our thoughts. I just wanted to finally enjoy the fact that an album I was already a fan of was remixed into surround - a first. I overreacted. I'm sorry.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BananaSlug View Post
    OK, so you start with this:

which is just copying what someone else said the other day. This is what many threads around here are like these days. Our 'real' friends couldn't care less, so we talk about these things here. Your comment may be fair, but it's unnecessary and obviously not meant to be kind.

Then you chastise members for not reviewing the disc fast enough

The day after it is released.

Then you go on about working mans prog and how you don't care for them.

That's all fine, I really don't care if you like the disc or not. It just seems like the releases are so few and far between and we finally got a good one. Then the next day here comes Elmer to shit all over our parade.

I'm sorry we got all excited about a release and bothered you with our mindless posts about acquiring it, but I assume no one made you read them. I once tried to wade into a thread about future KC release and it was pages full of posts having nothing to do with release dates. I think that's great! We have a place here where people can talk about music that excites them.

I hope this answers your question of why I took exception to your post. I hold no grudge against going into the future... I just wanted to be able to enjoy the moment with friends at QQ - my real life friends don't care.
    OK - so if I read this correctly this has something to do with a chip on the shoulder about KC being real prog and Rush being "working man's prog." I can see where my comments (and my Icon) could lead one to assume my "elitist" position but I can assure you that is not the case. I very much wanted to enjoy this release and can tell you (as I have in previous posts) that I truly enjoy the musicianship of Rush, and in particular, both Alex Lifefson and Neal Peart. As far as the shipment posts, I have no sympathy and truly find them to be superfluous at best - no matter which band and that includes KC - sorry but it makes me crazy. In all fairness though if it makes you happy then go for it - a simple, "hey I ordered it too" would suffice (IMO).

In regards to your excitement regarding this particular release - I was excited too, and certainly never held nor stated any grudge. I simply was disappointed - and quite honestly surprised that so few had posted any comments amidst the stated "excitement" - in your particular case, I still await your comments - not about me, but about your take on the release - more so than, "I love Rush and this release."

I am surprised quite honestly that you find my less than positive review as "Elmer shitting all over your parade". As if that is something I typically do. I would venture to say that if you queried all of my "reviews", you would be hard pressed to find more that 1 or 2 that are less than positive. Let's move on from this and just agree to disagree - nothing personal - really! I'm glad that you are enjoying this release and only hope that I can enjoy it the same one day.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry I didn't change my post quicker (after I changed it I didn't see the 'last edited by' blurb, so I thought that no one had seen my original post that you quote). But anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    As far as the shipment posts, I have no sympathy and truly find them to be superfluous at best - no matter which band and that includes KC - sorry but it makes me crazy.
    I have to say, before I posted my share of those I kept asking myself 'who the fuck cares?' But I posted them anyways, it was just fun to get caught up in the excitement.

I will repost my comments about the disc when I have some more time later.
    Last edited by BananaSlug; 04-08-2011 at 02:16 AM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

As fascinating as posts about order confirmations and shipping estimates can be, I would like to think that after weeks of the aforementioned posts and boasts about the great deals and fast shipping that someone would have posted even a snippet of what they actually thought of this release by now. I'm sure that you're all listening very carefully before making comments so I will offer up a vote for the BD upon having completed my second full listen - which is 2 more than I have ever listened to of this particular release before. Rush for me was always a band you heard on the local rock FM station back in the '80's - sort of working man's prog. Not that it's a bad thing, but their music never compelled me to listen further. Of course with the advent of surround, I dove in head first with "R30" and "Snakes And Arrows" only to be completely underwhelmed - mainly by the mix - I always had respect for their instrumental prowess.
    Thank you for enlightening me, us commoners that don't appreciate "REAL" prog rock and who mindlessly talk about music in music forums don't deserve to have music we like released in surround. I will return my disc ASAP.
    Last edited by BananaSlug; 04-07-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for enlightening me, us commoners that don't appreciate "REAL" prog rock and who mindlessly talk about music in music forums don't deserve to have music we like released in surround. I will return my disc ASAP.
    Wow thin skin! I take no higher ground than anyone else here in regards to what is "REAL" prog and what is not - my comment is my opinion. If you love Rush and love this release then by all means shout it out from the rooftops. I'm not sure where the comment regarding those "who mindlessly talk about music in music forums don't deserve to have music we like released in surround." comes from. I don't think that I inferred that at all and if I did, then certainly my apologies are in order. I am not a big Rush fan, true, but I don't hate them. I just didn't care for this production -and I think that I clearly explained why - w/o any dripping sarcasm. I'll take Dennis' constructive suggestion and listen again at a higher volume - and if that changes my perspective on things, I'll be happy for sure, because I shelled out almost $40 for the 2 versions - I would love nothing more than to be satisfied with my purchase.
    Last edited by elmer; 04-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.

800 Club - QQ All Star DennisMabry's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to start by saying that I have been following Rush's career since I first heard "Working Man" on WMMS FM/Cleveland in the early 70's. I first bought "Moving Pictures", in 1984 to play on my brand new toy; THE COMPACT DISC PLAYER (Hoo Hoo). Naturally I thought this was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Having a 3 year old in the house at that time, I used to listen to this at night on headphones, repeatedly and at loud volumes. Usually my ears would be ringing at the end of my listening sessions. I was young and invincible then, however as a result of those habits and working in an industrial setting for 30 years (even with earplugs), my hearing is not as acute as it once was (understatement). This has a point....stick with me.

I've listened to the BD two times through now. I'm not quite ready to vote yet but so far very favorable. I also listened to the stereo version (which btw is excellent), while doing so I observed a listening trait that I have when switching to stereo listening. I tend to turn the volume up. So I started thinking about this, why do I do that? I believe it is to fill the room with about the same volume level as when I listen to surround. I guess I tend to like to listen at about the same level whether in surround or stereo.

So what does this have to do with Rush - Moving Pictures? Well, my initial take was similar to others that the guitar or drums were not quite prevalent enough however when stereo listening (at a higher volume setting) it seemed to be there. When I switched back to 5.1 (also at the same volume level, albeit louder than normal).....it was there as well. So my point is that I believe this is the way the band intended for this music to be heard. Similar to the David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust SACD, I too hear some parts that seem a little echo-ish but with increased volume levels the effect diminishes. I got out my SPL meter and settled on an average of 88 decibels. At this level the drums are tight and the guitar solos are just the way they should sound. Now I don't condone listening to all music this way nor for extended periods of time. I certainly wouldn't listen to LAGQ or Tierney Sutton at those levels. The artist's intents are entirely different.

I found it interesting navigating through the onscreen menu, in the "About This Disc" section it says;

To achieve full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so this disc might not sound as "Loud" as a standard CD or film soundtrack. To compensate for this, TURN UP THE VOLUME!

One nice navigation feature is you can switch between the various mode options and still be playing at the same part of the song, for instant comparisons. The menu screen appears to be the same as the Tom Petty BD's.

I like the surround mix. There are some very aggressive moments if you listen for them. "Witch Hunt" has always been a favorite track for me. I was looking forward to the mix of it and am not disappointed. The lyrics are still relevant today, maybe more so.

I did notice the part where Geddy's voice comes from everywhere and in that case it does sound a bit wonky. Also the packaging spine is a tad flimsy, mine was crinkled a bit. While I prefer this packaging to the style of the two Tom Petty blu-rays, I'm amused that there is still no standard layout for BD (audio). Kind of like I have an SACD in a tall DVD-A Super Jewel Case "Ray Charles - GLC" and of course the two different sized Jewel Cases for DVD-A. I just hope we get enough additional titles to warrant a standard.

In summation I suggest to those of you that had a negative take on the disc, go back and listen again at an increased volume level and see if you change your mind. No civil suits for hearing loss please!

Bring on "2112", and "A Farewell To Kings"!

Dennis

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DennisMabry View Post
    ...In summation I suggest to those of you that had a negative take on the disc, go back and listen again at an increased volume level and see if you change your mind. No civil suits for hearing loss please! ...
    Cranked this sucker up today - so much so that my 15 year old deaf Labrador left the room to seek shelter from the storm! - I do agree that it sounds fuller and that the drum tones improve -thanks for the tip Dennis!. Not happy though that I should have to blast it to enjoy it -as ear fatigue starts setting in half way through at that level. I would give it a 7 at ear splitting volumes but still an overall 6 (mainly because I hate having to wait so long for the damn disc to load). Still have the DVDA coming next week (for my car system) - perhaps that environment will provide a better listening experience. I really want to like this - I have listened to this album more in the last few days than I have in the last 30 years!

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cranked this sucker up today - so much so that my 15 year old deaf Labrador left the room to seek shelter from the storm! - I do agree that it sounds fuller and that the drum tones improve -thanks for the tip Dennis!. Not happy though that I should have to blast it to enjoy it -as ear fatigue starts setting in half way through at that level. I would give it a 7 at ear splitting volumes but still an overall 6 (mainly because I hate having to wait so long for the damn disc to load). Still have the DVDA coming next week (for my car system) - perhaps that environment will provide a better listening experience. I really want to like this - I have listened to this album more in the last few days than I have in the last 30 years!
    elmer,

I'm looking forward to your assessemt of hearing it in the car. So far, I've only played it in the car and I thought it sounded excellent.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonUrban View Post
    elmer,

I'm looking forward to your assessemt of hearing it in the car. So far, I've only played it in the car and I thought it sounded excellent.
    Will do Jon - in all fairness though, I'll be limited to the DTS stream as my system is SACD/DTS/DD - but I have to say that even lossy DTS sounds quite good in the confines of the car - SACD in HQ mode (up to 192/24) sounds spectacular.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I probably should have left my original post about my thoughts on the disc alone. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought your post was unfairly condescending. I don't really care if Rush is prog or not, I care that it's enjoyable to listen to. And this is an enjoyable album to listen to.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I probably should have left my original post about my thoughts on the disc alone. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought your post was unfairly condescending. I don't really care if Rush is prog or not, I care that it's enjoyable to listen to. And this is an enjoyable album to listen to.
    OK - but I still don't understand what personal issue you have with me via my comments. Condescending to who? I stated clearly that I respected their musicianship and while I was not a big fan, I enjoyed the occasional listen. I don't really care whether you think Rush is prog or not either - it was just my personal take on it. So let me see if I get this straight - if I have a negative opinion (which I should point out was not entirely negative), I am not allowed to state it? Only fans of Rush can post a comment on this thread? Should I take personal issue with anyone that feels negatively about music that I like? Perhaps you should take a pointer from Mr. Mabry and speak concisely about what you like about this release rather than what I don't like about it. I'm certainly open to an alternate point of view,.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast