HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
Well, this disc is a worthless piece of plastic. In the Panasonic player, only stereo, since the player doesn't like the center turned off. In the samsung player, that says screw the spec and does what I tell it, it plays great.....for 2:30, and shuts off.

Can't anyone properly author a damn disc so I can play it without having to buy all new hardware that I can't afford?

This disc sucks! I am really getting frustrated at owning so many dvd-a discs, and not being able to listen to them, despite owning 2 dvd-a players, just because some knucleheads couldn't understand the concept of a phantom center when making the standard.

This disc sucks! I am really getting frustrated at owning so many dvd-a discs, and not being able to listen to them, despite owning 2 dvd-a players, just because some knucleheads couldn't understand the concept of a phantom center when making the standard.

They don't really make these things to suit one person's taste, nor should they be forced to compromise their mix because someone does not want to utilize their center channel. Imagine that on one of the PT mixes. :)

I'm not complaining about the mix, I'm complaining about the way some dvd-a discs don't play properly when trying to do a phantom center. I never have a problem with SACD, and many DVD-A discs work fine with my samsung player. Many don't. It's a frustrating format. And it would be very difficult for me to get a center channel that matches my speakers, and also to get a 5th channel of amplification that matches my marantz quad amp. I'd need to buy all new equipment and have something custom built at this point.

My point is, this disc could have been authored to be more compatible. It's the first disc I've had that just plain stopped 2:30 in on my samsung. I've had other discs do weird things in the samsung, but this is by far the worst.

I agree there is something different about this disc. My Bass Management setting of Mains - Large; Center and Rears - Small works fine for all my discs. But this one I had to switch everything to large to get the best sound.

I'm not complaining about the mix, I'm complaining about the way some dvd-a discs don't play properly when trying to do a phantom center. I never have a problem with SACD, and many DVD-A discs work fine with my samsung player. Many don't. It's a frustrating format. And it would be very difficult for me to get a center channel that matches my speakers, and also to get a 5th channel of amplification that matches my marantz quad amp. I'd need to buy all new equipment and have something custom built at this point.

My point is, this disc could have been authored to be more compatible. It's the first disc I've had that just plain stopped 2:30 in on my samsung. I've had other discs do weird things in the samsung, but this is by far the worst.

so the disc literally stops playing. ah. point taken.

Something I meant to reference in Disclosures in the Rush review

Calibration - Because we are so excited that a major label (UMG or Rhino Handmade) has seen fit to recognize us as a market we will tend to skew a point or two higher to reflect this honor. We're so grateful and we really don't ask for much. (plus we're very very clean) I submit (and admit) that this mix is an 8 in my head bit I vote with my heart most of the time. Thus the 9-10-ish votes I have cast on new releases.

There I said it and now I'm set free.

Kirk out

Something I meant to reference in Disclosures in the Rush review

Calibration - Because we are so excited that a major label (UMG or Rhino Handmade) has seen fit to recognize us as a market we will tend to skew a point or two higher to reflect this honor. We're so grateful and we really don't ask for much. (plus we're very very clean) I submit (and admit) that this mix is an 8 in my head bit I vote with my heart most of the time. Thus the 9-10-ish votes I have cast on new releases.

There I said it and now I'm set free.

Kirk out
You are so right! I take this into consideration too when I vote. Overall, my vote would have been a 9 but I chose 10. ;)

I Like It. Surround mix is almost great, at times the band sounds HUGE. Isn't perfect however, to me - nothing glaring*, just a feeling it could have been better (how do you do more immersive, but less discrete?)

content 10
sonics 10
mix 8

* other than the ride cymbal in the right surround

I’ve been playing this album every day for the past couple of weeks. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve had this much fun with a new 5.1 release. Dvd-audio and great music – a killer combination. Many thanks to Anthem Entertainment and to everyone else who is responsible for making this happen. It would be fantastic if Anthem were to undertake another project like this one. The time between those truly great surround releases is much too long. Hopefully there are enough voices of encouragement to make that time shorter.

You can send your feedback about Moving Pictures by contacting Anthem from their website: http://www.anthementertainmentgroup.com/

I don't mind listening in the "loud mode" every now and then and when I'm alone in my car more often than not. That having been said, if I can't enjoy something when listening at normal levels , IMHO, then there is something wrong with the mix/mastering. I gave this a 6 for the BD version and a 7 for the DVD A - mainly because it sounds a tad better in my car played loud.

I'm still disappointed with the sound and mix of the drums - with few exceptions they lack dynamics and presence ( less so with more volume - I know), but a missed opportunity nevertheless.

+1

I love this album, and I'm glad we finally have a 5.1 release of it. I do enjoy listening to it, but after several spins, the 5.1 mix still leaves me wanting more.

I prefer a more aggressive surround mix (Perhaps I've been spoiled by Steven Wilson's excellent PT and KC surround mixes (y)), so I voted 7 as well.

It's not bad, but it could have been better.

Just my $.02

Yes. I had one in both the Blu-Ray and the DVD-A versions

Well, that's a drag. Just got my dvd-a from Amazon yesterday ($12.94 w/ a free gift card I had) and NO booklet. Seems to be a little problem on the assembly line.

Had a second listen today. I do like Rush. Saw them live at the Paramount Theatre in Portland, Oregon around 1972 or 73. I especially like them since seeing the movie, "I Love You, Man." There are a few great hits on this album and some of the more creative surround mixes on the less popular titles. Overall, like a lot of people mentioned, the mix is pretty unagressive in terms of surround, but I gave it a 9 because I love the album and just appreciate any effort to release multi-channel titles. (By the way, took a closer look and lo and behold, there was a booklet in there after all.)

(moved from blu-ray thread, since I have the DVD-A, not the Blu-Ray, though I expect exactly zero sonic difference to exist between them....)

Agreed that the 5.1 mix sounds better played loud, and agreed that the mixer should have put more vocal in the center channel. And given that this is a 3-piece band with not much happening in the way of keyboards or backing vocals, the mix engineer could have gone more crazy with the drum mix.

(Also agreed that in the 70s', Rush music was considered 2nd-string prog by older prog fans. Their 13-yr-old brothers loved it, though. ;) )

I give it a 6.

And that's the problem with most older bands, 3 or 4 piece and the lack backing vocals. You can't make up stuff to fill in for surround. There is only so much you can do. With a band like rush I'd rather have a bit less in the rears then overdone trying to fill it in imo of course.

Its not just you. I absolutely agree with your ears. The PCM CD is superior to the 5.1, and I am a diehard 5.1 fan. Compare say Foreigner CD PCM to the DVD Audio 5.1 mixes of those same albums. Night and day. The Rush 5.1 is ok, but not stellar.

Just gave my DVD-A a listen. Pretty good. A tad low end light but not enought to make you really miss it. Better then over doing it.{Harvest} About the same for the surround. Nothing eye opening but over doing is way worst. For me, a solid 8. Enjoyable.

Back