HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
As fascinating as posts about order confirmations and shipping estimates can be:rolleyes:, I would like to think that after weeks of the aforementioned posts and boasts about the great deals and fast shipping that someone would have posted even a snippet of what they actually thought of this release by now. I'm sure that you're all listening very carefully before making comments so I will offer up a vote for the BD upon having completed my second full listen - which is 2 more than I have ever listened to of this particular release before. Rush for me was always a band you heard on the local rock FM station back in the '80's - sort of working man's prog. Not that it's a bad thing, but their music never compelled me to listen further. Of course with the advent of surround, I dove in head first with "R30" and "Snakes And Arrows" only to be completely underwhelmed - mainly by the mix - I always had respect for their instrumental prowess.

So first the good; the mix as I had posted earlier, on a parallel thread, is good not great - all channels active and discrete. Keys, guitars, percussion and effects all find their way nicely into the rears. I have heard worse mixes and I have heard ALOT better mixes. So if I were to rate this purely on the "surround effect", an 8 would be generous.

Now the not so good; the drums - their presence is almost "excuse me, pardon me." It sounds as if Neal Peart was hitting a poorly miked phone book instead of a snare drum. There are a few times when the drums threaten to make their presence felt but not nearly enough. I realize that the the drums on this recording may have sounded this way intentionally. With a drum kit of that size and the virtuoso skills of Peart, a surround mix that does not kill with the drums is a missed opportunity. Instead of a 3 dimensional effect, it is kinda "surround light." There is an overabundance of midrange - guitars, bass with more mid than bottom, keys and Geddy Lee's nasal whine (which is admittedly kept in check for most of the proceedings). The bottom end of this recording is for lack of a better term, polite.

Now the really not so good; The BD authoring. While all BD players are not created equal, and my Sony BD350 is a few years old, the load time on this disc is ridiculously long - almost 2 minutes (load time plus the multiple logo intros) before you get to the main screen. Pretty much the same menu as the Tom Petty BD Audios. If you are going to make me wait this long for the disc to load, then give me something more than just a few poorly mastered (visually) videos and the usual, "lyrics, photos, credits" features. I am looking forward to the DVD A version if only for the fact that it won't take nearly as long for me to get to the tunes. With all the anticipation for this release I was hoping for something much more. I hesitate to vote this low but I can't bring myself to give this anything higher than a 6. Perhaps I will feel differently down the road a piece - I hope so.

Yes, my DVDA copy has an inner booklet. I like the lyrics display during the songs. Never knew what Geddy was singing so this really helps increase the overall enjoyment of the listening experience. Am enjoying the mix and sound a lot so far. It has better sound at higher volumes.:)

Last edited:
As fascinating as posts about order confirmations and shipping estimates can be:rolleyes:, I would like to think that after weeks of the aforementioned posts and boasts about the great deals and fast shipping that someone would have posted even a snippet of what they actually thought of this release by now. I'm sure that you're all listening very carefully before making comments so I will offer up a vote for the BD upon having completed my second full listen - which is 2 more than I have ever listened to of this particular release before. Rush for me was always a band you heard on the local rock FM station back in the '80's - sort of working man's prog. Not that it's a bad thing, but their music never compelled me to listen further. Of course with the advent of surround, I dove in head first with "R30" and "Snakes And Arrows" only to be completely underwhelmed - mainly by the mix - I always had respect for their instrumental prowess.

Thank you for enlightening me, us commoners that don't appreciate "REAL" prog rock and who mindlessly talk about music in music forums don't deserve to have music we like released in surround. I will return my disc ASAP.

Last edited:
Mine came yesterday and I gave it a listen. My thoughts are like Elmers. I wonder why they even used the center speaker, just a low volume of what is going in to the L and R, nothing seems to be isolated in it. Next time I listen I will turn off the center and I bet I won't even notice.
There are some moments when the rears are very active. Next time I will listen to the stereo and synthesize quad from it for a comparison.
When watching the videos in 5.1 dolby you can certainly appreciate the jump in quality when you go back to the dvd audio stream from the dolby.
This is probably going to grow on me.
And yes mine does have a booklet.

I'd like to start by saying that I have been following Rush's career since I first heard "Working Man" on WMMS FM/Cleveland in the early 70's. I first bought "Moving Pictures", in 1984 to play on my brand new toy; THE COMPACT DISC PLAYER (Hoo Hoo). Naturally I thought this was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Having a 3 year old in the house at that time, I used to listen to this at night on headphones, repeatedly and at loud volumes. Usually my ears would be ringing at the end of my listening sessions. I was young and invincible then, however as a result of those habits and working in an industrial setting for 30 years (even with earplugs), my hearing is not as acute as it once was (understatement). This has a point....stick with me.

I've listened to the BD two times through now. I'm not quite ready to vote yet but so far very favorable. I also listened to the stereo version (which btw is excellent), while doing so I observed a listening trait that I have when switching to stereo listening. I tend to turn the volume up. So I started thinking about this, why do I do that? I believe it is to fill the room with about the same volume level as when I listen to surround. I guess I tend to like to listen at about the same level whether in surround or stereo.

So what does this have to do with Rush - Moving Pictures? Well, my initial take was similar to others that the guitar or drums were not quite prevalent enough however when stereo listening (at a higher volume setting) it seemed to be there. When I switched back to 5.1 (also at the same volume level, albeit louder than normal).....it was there as well. So my point is that I believe this is the way the band intended for this music to be heard. Similar to the David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust SACD, I too hear some parts that seem a little echo-ish but with increased volume levels the effect diminishes. I got out my SPL meter and settled on an average of 88 decibels. At this level the drums are tight and the guitar solos are just the way they should sound. Now I don't condone listening to all music this way nor for extended periods of time. I certainly wouldn't listen to LAGQ or Tierney Sutton at those levels. The artist's intents are entirely different.

I found it interesting navigating through the onscreen menu, in the "About This Disc" section it says;

To achieve full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so this disc might not sound as "Loud" as a standard CD or film soundtrack. To compensate for this, TURN UP THE VOLUME!

One nice navigation feature is you can switch between the various mode options and still be playing at the same part of the song, for instant comparisons. The menu screen appears to be the same as the Tom Petty BD's.

I like the surround mix. There are some very aggressive moments if you listen for them. "Witch Hunt" has always been a favorite track for me. I was looking forward to the mix of it and am not disappointed. The lyrics are still relevant today, maybe more so.

I did notice the part where Geddy's voice comes from everywhere and in that case it does sound a bit wonky. Also the packaging spine is a tad flimsy, mine was crinkled a bit. While I prefer this packaging to the style of the two Tom Petty blu-rays, I'm amused that there is still no standard layout for BD (audio). Kind of like I have an SACD in a tall DVD-A Super Jewel Case "Ray Charles - GLC" and of course the two different sized Jewel Cases for DVD-A. I just hope we get enough additional titles to warrant a standard.

In summation I suggest to those of you that had a negative take on the disc, go back and listen again at an increased volume level and see if you change your mind. No civil suits for hearing loss please! ;)

Bring on "2112", and "A Farewell To Kings"!

Dennis

Thank you for enlightening me, us commoners that don't appreciate "REAL" prog rock and who mindlessly talk about music in music forums don't deserve to have music we like released in surround. I will return my disc ASAP.

Wow thin skin! I take no higher ground than anyone else here in regards to what is "REAL" prog and what is not - my comment is my opinion. If you love Rush and love this release then by all means shout it out from the rooftops. I'm not sure where the comment regarding those "who mindlessly talk about music in music forums don't deserve to have music we like released in surround." comes from. I don't think that I inferred that at all and if I did, then certainly my apologies are in order. I am not a big Rush fan, true, but I don't hate them. I just didn't care for this production -and I think that I clearly explained why - w/o any dripping sarcasm. I'll take Dennis' constructive suggestion and listen again at a higher volume - and if that changes my perspective on things, I'll be happy for sure, because I shelled out almost $40 for the 2 versions - I would love nothing more than to be satisfied with my purchase.

Last edited:
Yeah, I probably should have left my original post about my thoughts on the disc alone. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought your post was unfairly condescending. I don't really care if Rush is prog or not, I care that it's enjoyable to listen to. And this is an enjoyable album to listen to.

Yeah, I probably should have left my original post about my thoughts on the disc alone. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought your post was unfairly condescending. I don't really care if Rush is prog or not, I care that it's enjoyable to listen to. And this is an enjoyable album to listen to.

OK - but I still don't understand what personal issue you have with me via my comments. Condescending to who? I stated clearly that I respected their musicianship and while I was not a big fan, I enjoyed the occasional listen. I don't really care whether you think Rush is prog or not either - it was just my personal take on it. So let me see if I get this straight - if I have a negative opinion (which I should point out was not entirely negative), I am not allowed to state it? Only fans of Rush can post a comment on this thread? Should I take personal issue with anyone that feels negatively about music that I like? Perhaps you should take a pointer from Mr. Mabry and speak concisely about what you like about this release rather than what I don't like about it. I'm certainly open to an alternate point of view,.

Just got it and tore open the packaging and gave a quick run through the songs. First impression, relief, we're good! (y) Certainly I would not have bought this if it was just a CD as I already own 2. Hopefully surround will be an industry standard soon.

I'm not ready to vote yet, but I do believe the mix is discrete, has aggressive panning where appropriate and most important of all.... uses all speakers to create a 3D sound field. They did some really cool, trippy effects with Geddy's vocals. I really like this and hope they continue on with this format of DVD-Audio/BR and remix the rest of the RUSH catalog into surround.

One thing I wanted to say about the music itself, it brings back memories I forgot about. As far as musical tastes, you don't necessarily have to be a Rush fan to enjoy this. I'm grateful to the surround community for supporting this title even though it may or may not be your cup of tea, like say if your main interest is say Classical or whatever. This surround title should make an impact in the music industry on many levels (many will hear this) and hopefully folks will take the time to consider surround when one records new music or remix past material.

Just arrived and I tore into it :) So far, the first listen is great! There are a few minor details that detract (somewhat flat drums and minimal use of center channel - previously mentioned), but I'm thrilled by any DVD-Audio release! Thanks so much for this release. I'll vote after a couple more listens.

This surround title should make an impact in the music industry on many levels (many will hear this) and hopefully folks will take the time to consider surround when one records new music or remix past material.

Wouldn't that be something, if a band that was mostly ignored by the mainstream for the bulk of their existence could make such an impact. (I wasn't one of the ones ignoring them, BTW!)

I just noticed that when playing the DVD-Audio version, the video (showing the lyrics) doesn't actually skip past the first set of lyrics (first screen)....anyone else notice this. Weird, but it really doesn't matter to me...still very very happy about this release!

I just noticed that when playing the DVD-Audio version, the video (showing the lyrics) doesn't actually skip past the first set of lyrics (first screen)....anyone else notice this. Weird, but it really doesn't matter to me...still very very happy about this release!

You have to flip the page manually using the left arrow.

To me your first paragraph seems to paint Rush fans as musical lightweights that spend their time mindlessly posting shipping details and never getting to actually listening to the music and posting our thoughts. I just wanted to finally enjoy the fact that an album I was already a fan of was remixed into surround - a first. I overreacted. I'm sorry.

OK, so you start with this:

which is just copying what someone else said the other day. This is what many threads around here are like these days. Our 'real' friends couldn't care less, so we talk about these things here. Your comment may be fair, but it's unnecessary and obviously not meant to be kind.

Then you chastise members for not reviewing the disc fast enough

The day after it is released.

Then you go on about working mans prog and how you don't care for them.

That's all fine, I really don't care if you like the disc or not. It just seems like the releases are so few and far between and we finally got a good one. Then the next day here comes Elmer to shit all over our parade.

I'm sorry we got all excited about a release and bothered you with our mindless posts about acquiring it, but I assume no one made you read them. I once tried to wade into a thread about future KC release and it was pages full of posts having nothing to do with release dates. I think that's great! We have a place here where people can talk about music that excites them.

I hope this answers your question of why I took exception to your post. I hold no grudge against going into the future... I just wanted to be able to enjoy the moment with friends at QQ - my real life friends don't care.

OK - so if I read this correctly this has something to do with a chip on the shoulder about KC being real prog and Rush being "working man's prog." I can see where my comments (and my Icon) could lead one to assume my "elitist" position but I can assure you that is not the case. I very much wanted to enjoy this release and can tell you (as I have in previous posts) that I truly enjoy the musicianship of Rush, and in particular, both Alex Lifefson and Neal Peart. As far as the shipment posts, I have no sympathy and truly find them to be superfluous at best - no matter which band and that includes KC - sorry but it makes me crazy. In all fairness though if it makes you happy then go for it - a simple, "hey I ordered it too" would suffice (IMO).

In regards to your excitement regarding this particular release - I was excited too, and certainly never held nor stated any grudge. I simply was disappointed - and quite honestly surprised that so few had posted any comments amidst the stated "excitement" - in your particular case, I still await your comments - not about me, but about your take on the release - more so than, "I love Rush and this release."

I am surprised quite honestly that you find my less than positive review as "Elmer shitting all over your parade". As if that is something I typically do. I would venture to say that if you queried all of my "reviews", you would be hard pressed to find more that 1 or 2 that are less than positive. Let's move on from this and just agree to disagree - nothing personal - really! I'm glad that you are enjoying this release and only hope that I can enjoy it the same one day.

Back