HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
(moved from blu-ray thread, since I have the DVD-A, not the Blu-Ray, though I expect exactly zero sonic difference to exist between them....)

Agreed that the 5.1 mix sounds better played loud, and agreed that the mixer should have put more vocal in the center channel. And given that this is a 3-piece band with not much happening in the way of keyboards or backing vocals, the mix engineer could have gone more crazy with the drum mix.

(Also agreed that in the 70s', Rush music was considered 2nd-string prog by older prog fans. Their 13-yr-old brothers loved it, though. ;) )

I give it a 6.

One thing I've noticed giving this a few go rounds, is that there is a lot more going on delicately and subtle than one hears right away at first glance. There also seems to be a lot of real thought and reason for putting things where they are and as they are to compliment the songs and original stereo mix. One can agree or disagree with such things, but I'm quite satisfied with this rich mix and I'm noticing more detail which each listen, as with each and every RUSH album I've ever encountered. Also, tone and detail of instruments sound good and true, especially for a recording recorded 30 years ago.

I gave it a 9. Almost was an 8, but I followed the advice to turn it up loud! It cranks very well. Regarding the complaint about lack of bass, it seems fine to me...

I saw this concert 30 years ago, and this June, I will be doing a repeat. Until then, this will hold me over.

The bass is tight... not sloppy. Compared to most of the DVD-A's and SA-CD's from the era I have (ya, rocker me), if they had done all of them like this, we would still be heading to the music stores on Saturday morning.

I hope it's not 101 years until 2112....................

There is great air on this one.

Last edited:
I did complain about the bass but after noticing my subwoofer wasn't set right, all is well. After listening to the whole album from start to finish, I have to say that, seeing the circumstances on why it was mixed this way, I'll have to give it a 10. The mix is very clear and precise. Originally, I did not like how the vocals were mixed but personally, I feel that not everyone is going to have a full range (or close to) center channel speaker to take advantage of this. Also, I'm not sure about the possibility of this 30 year old record but pulling (closer, as opposed to further back within the soundstage) the drums into the mix, a bit more, would have been nice.

...I'm not sure about the possibility of this 30 year old record but pulling (closer, as opposed to further back within the soundstage) the drums into the mix, a bit more, would have been nice.

I agree with you on that one. I think with Neil being the powerful drummer he is, he would have drowned out the other boys.

Thank God he wasn't under-miked like Moon... actually the drums do vary in depth from song to song.

The bass is dead on. I think the surround mix is how it should be.

You really can crank this without listening fatigue... aside from the neighbours screaming out the windows. :)

Sounds great! I gave it a nine. Cool panning on Geddy's vocals. Alex sounds amazing. Could use a smudge more clarity on drums. I wonder what Eliot could have done. Obviously, first rate material. Thrilled with DVD-A release. Keep I coming. If this is because it's the 30th anniversary, did you know it's the 35th for 2112 and the 20th for Roll the Bones?
....just a suggestion for what's next...

OK, I'm swinging... everywhere I look, I'm told the Blu-Ray edition of this will not be released until May 3th.
Where is everyone getting the BDs so soon??
I had to pre-order one at Amazon and Best Buy isn't listing them.
Euro only for now??
I'll cancel my Amazon Pre, if I can get a copy asap.

-B

OK, I'm swinging... everywhere I look, I'm told the Blu-Ray edition of this will not be released until May 3th.
Where is everyone getting the BDs so soon??
I had to pre-order one at Amazon and Best Buy isn't listing them.
Euro only for now??
I'll cancel my Amazon Pre, if I can get a copy asap.

-B

It was a 30 day exclusive for Best Buy starting 4/5/2011. The key phrase being "while supplies last." For some reason, it is no longer being listed under music Blu Ray titles. However, this is the correct listing - it states that it is "unavailable for shipping" but you may be able to find it in stores - just type in your zip code under check for instore pick-up. This is the correct item for the Blu Ray version at Best Buy;

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Moving+Pictures+%5BDeluxe+Version+CD...+%5B5/3%5D+-+CD/2276808.p?skuId=2276808&id=2198227

The SKU# at BestBuy is 2276808, but I just checked and it looks like they are sold out online already. It says "Check Stores" and everyone of the stores in my area has it in stock.

- Ben

Thanks for the info!
I also see BB has it listed for $29.99 where Amazon has it listed for $19.99!
Go figure for being exclusive! :)
So do I wait 2 - 3 weeks?

-B

Do all BluRay players have 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 Analog Audio Outputs ?

Meaning, can anyone with a 'normal' digital receiver stumble upon surround music like I did eight years ago...

Thanks for the info!
I also see BB has it listed for $29.99 where Amazon has it listed for $19.99!
Go figure for being exclusive! :)
So do I wait 2 - 3 weeks?

-B

Bob,

When I was in BB this week, the Blu-Ray was $19.99 and the DVD-A was $17.99, however, the stickers on the product were in fact $29.99 and $27.99. I guess the sale is over at this point.

Just got back from best buy. They had 4 copies of the blu-ray and 5 copies of the dvda on the rack for 27-29 dollars. Yes, the sale is over unless they ring up a discount at the register.

Do all BluRay players have 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 Analog Audio Outputs ?

Meaning, can anyone with a 'normal' digital receiver stumble upon surround music like I did eight years ago...

No. One must look long and hard to find a blu-ray player with analog outs. Samsung, toshiba, yamaha do. LG, panasonic, and sony don't. Usually its the older models that have them. The newer models seem to phase them out.

De-embedders are available for those players that don't have them. That's the device that takes the HDMI signal and splits the audio to analog out and passes the video onto another HDMI output.

Yes, the sale is over... I just paid $31.79 for it. But at least I have it so that if anything F's up (and it sometimes does...)
I won't be buying it on EBay for a hundred bux down the road!
Thanks for all the responses! :)

Back