HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
I really didn't need to listen to it loud..just at a comfortable level...but then I HAVE BIG speakers (yeah and a small....that's prolly why, heh heh heh)...only 4 humble JBL E80s-if I crank it way up it's uncomfortable (to my tinnitus ridden ears)...and I love the mix...it's such a revelation... don't know what others were expecting when they "trash" it..but to each his own...

I don't want to dismiss people who liked this mix either, but I've been rather flabbergasted by the love given to the mix. I also don't want to take away from people's enjoyment of it so, like you said, to each his own.

The simple act of isolating that vocal would have opened up the separation more and made this a better mix. The mixer had the multitracks and chose not to do that. That is a decision that makes zero sense to me. I could have isolate that vocal in the fronts with SPEC on half those tracks. They can't do something I could have done from stereo?

I also don't buy that the mix is the way it is because it's "faithful to the stereo." You can be faithful to the placement of the original stereo and give the listener a more intense surround experience. I think the listener gets that in parts here ("Tom Sawyer" and anything from "The Camera Eye" are an improvement for sure), but much more could have been done here.

I gave the mix a "5" and stand by it. It's not a bad mix. It's not a very good mix. It's right down the middle. It does makes me think twice, though, as to buying future Rush retail mixes.

Variety is the spice of life, Kap'n. :)

kap'n krunch, nice review. i agree with you on this one.
(y)

I don't want to dismiss people who liked this mix either, but I've been rather flabbergasted by the love given to the mix.
as you said, "variety is the spice of life"
probably that this mix can be done in more agressive way but my guess is that how band wanna us to hear them.
albeit this mix didn't filled with sharp cool effects, it's still sound very good in the view of sound fidelity and
surrounding panorama which filled the room around the listener.

i give it 9 of 10 and hope that next one will be done on 10+

Hey kap'n,
Make sure you let Anthem Records know how you appreciate it here [email protected] .
thanks for the hint. i did send to them short message with thanks for releasing it in DVDA format
and expressed the hope for more releases in such quality of the sound in the near future.
perhaps would be nice if every member of QQ community will do the same.
not big deal at all but encouragement for those who was involved in the project, obviously will not hurt.

Unfortunately, most probably due to a 16:9 active track still issue the hi-res (both surround and stereo) portion of the DVDA
doesn't start playing on my Pioneer DV-600 player. Interestingly, so far my player's had no issue with other discs containing 16:9 active track stills (eg. Dorothee Munyaneza album). Nevertheless, I'm not so upset because I can HDMI bitstream the hi-res part from my HTPC and I could author a playable disc from the hi-res tracks as well.

I have a Pioneer DV-563A and am unable to get audio on anything but the videos. Never had this issues with any of my other DVD-A's. Is this an issue with the player? Is my only option to get a newer DVD-A player? Thanks.

I have a Pioneer DV-563A and am unable to get audio on anything but the videos. Never had this issues with any of my other DVD-A's. Is this an issue with the player? Is my only option to get a newer DVD-A player? Thanks.

I have no problems whatsoever with the DVD A of Moving Pictures on my Pioneer 563A. It might be a firmware issue - have you ever upgraded your firmware?

I have no problems whatsoever with the DVD A of Moving Pictures on my Pioneer 563A. It might be a firmware issue - have you ever upgraded your firmware?

Thanks for your quick reply. I have spent the past hour trying to get this firmware upgrade to work. Downloaded the .zip file, unzipped it, burned to a CD-R with ISO recorder. When I put the CD in my 563A, all I get is a message saying that the disc cannot be read. The ISO file is on the disc when I look at it on my PC. I am doing something wrong, but it's a mystery to me. I will keep trying until I figure out which little piece of the puzzle I am missing.

Thanks for your quick reply. I have spent the past hour trying to get this firmware upgrade to work. Downloaded the .zip file, unzipped it, burned to a CD-R with ISO recorder. When I put the CD in my 563A, all I get is a message saying that the disc cannot be read. The ISO file is on the disc when I look at it on my PC. I am doing something wrong, but it's a mystery to me. I will keep trying until I figure out which little piece of the puzzle I am missing.

Make sure you finalize the disc after burning it - data discs can be a bit finicky if you don't.

Read through this whole thread (link below). There are some important steps you have to follow with regard to nenaming a file when creating the CD. Although the thread is about the 578, some parts may apply to the 563 as well. Not positive, though:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...8-Firmware-upgrade&highlight=pioneer+firmware

Tried the "Play it Loud" method. Wow, lasted about a song and a half. Just can't take it. It was very uncomfortable. I've always suspected that my tolerance for loud music decreased immensely ever since a Tool concert that I attended about 5 years ago. Crap, that was loud. Unbelievable.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this disc although I have a few quibbles. I do wonder a bit about the overall quality of the source tapes given what strikes me as some uneven muddiness that I detect from time to time. The mix is solid although could be more aggressive (Witchhunt is an exception imo). I have always been a huge fan of Rush and Moving Pictures so I am really happy to have this in surround even though I only give this an 8. Bring on the rest of the catalog!

Tried the "Play it Loud" method. Wow, lasted about a song and a half. Just can't take it. It was very uncomfortable. I've always suspected that my tolerance for loud music decreased immensely ever since a Tool concert that I attended about 5 years ago. Crap, that was loud. Unbelievable.

I don't mind listening in the "loud mode" every now and then and when I'm alone in my car more often than not. That having been said, if I can't enjoy something when listening at normal levels , IMHO, then there is something wrong with the mix/mastering. I gave this a 6 for the BD version and a 7 for the DVD A - mainly because it sounds a tad better in my car played loud.

I'm still disappointed with the sound and mix of the drums - with few exceptions they lack dynamics and presence ( less so with more volume - I know), but a missed opportunity nevertheless.

Unfortunately, most probably due to a 16:9 active track still issue the hi-res (both surround and stereo) portion of the DVDA
doesn't start playing on my Pioneer DV-600 player. Interestingly, so far my player's had no issue with other discs containing 16:9 active track stills (eg. Dorothee Munyaneza album). Nevertheless, I'm not so upset because I can HDMI bitstream the hi-res part from my HTPC and I could author a playable disc from the hi-res tracks as well.
It's strange but good, tonight the disc is playing fine on my Pio 600. Dunno why it wasn't playing before. The only difference was that the player had already been heated up when I put the disc into it.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the sound quality of CDs I already have, so for me, this release was all about the surround mix.

A missed opportunity with an album which, from actual professionals, should have been an easy home run.

First impressions - not voting yet, but I'm tending towards agreeing with this. It feels amateurish compared to other surround mixes and made me wonder what Elliot Schriner, or Steven Wilson would have done.

Not listening to it loud yet, but... from the beginning there was this annoying ride cymbal in the right surround (is it just me?) Maybe it'll get buried when I can play this loud.

Bonus: my 9-year old daughter said during Red Barchetta "this sounds like an interesting song!"

Timbre4; thanks for the great review!!
oTTo; thanks for agreeing-we are from the same camp,cheers!

As it is, I still love the 5.1 mix
IN SPITE OF
-not being able to access the Stereo PCM mix (in my Oppo 980)
-the mix being quite compressed (a bit fatiguing!)
-not being able to forward the lyrics during playback....

I agree with most of the mixing decisions (the drums are panned in 5.1 in a drum sweep roll in "YYZ", cool!) and the sounds are perfect.

I think we all are a bit "snobbish" concerning 5.1 mixes (personally, I originally poopoo'ed the Yes "Fragile" mix but I listened to it recently and I liked it much better...can't even trust myself!)....and expectations will let you down every time!

Sooo...what does M. Neil Wilkes have to say about this??? (guess that if we haven't heard from him is because he hasn't gotten around to it! I 'd agree with him when he slams the shoddy authoring!)

-not being able to forward the lyrics during playback....

I cannot understand why this wasn't authored into the DVD-A.
I'm so glad I purchased the Blu-ray too.

-not being able to access the Stereo PCM mix (in my Oppo 980)

I'll have to check this when I decided to open my DVD copy to compare the mixes.
Though, I don't expect to hear any difference between it and the DTS-MA track.

Hello. I, too was very miffed that the lyrics don't go beyond the title page on each song. After reading some of the posts regarding the mix, I must admit I was caught up in he excitement of having my favorite band on BluRay/DVD-A. I would give the mix a 6-7 after several listens. Still a must have, IMO. Very much looking forward to Vapour Trails if they so decide. Thanks.

All I need to do to turn the page on the lyrics is press the page forward or page backward buttons on the screen. Do you see the <MAIN> on your screen? If so, the ">" is the page forward button and the "<" is the page backward button. When a song starts, you can press the page forward button and turn the lyrics page to page two. If you press the page forward button again, the lyrics page goes to page three. From there, if you press the page backwards button, the lyrics page goes to the previous page of lyrics until you reach the first page. Now, on the other hand, if you don't have the <MAIN> on your screen then navigating the lyrics would be more difficult if not impossible to do.

"Sooo...what does M. Neil Wilkes have to say about this??? (guess that if we haven't heard from him is because he hasn't gotten around to it! I 'd agree with him when he slams the shoddy authoring!)" POSTED BY KAP'N KRUNCH

I too would like to hear from the highly respected Neil Wilkes!
Mr. Wilkes seems to always make some sense out of our mixed reviews.:smokin

Back