HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
I thought someone had posted on these forums that some of the masters for "2112" had gone walkabout..?!?

I read that as well. It's a shame. The stereo mix of "2112" is too unorthodox in places for me to get something good out of it. That's one you'd need to call in the pros for to truly get right.

I gave this a ten. I love this album and the sound is phenomenal. I love the start of Tom Sawyer. I will never tire of listening to this DVD-A. Although I bet my neighbors will!!

My favorite Rush...Sound & mix could have been better...but the album could not have
A 9

This has great fidelity although the mixes are not great. Very good for sure but lacking bottom end and could be more dynamic. I like rock music to have a full thick bass sound. The engineer should of made Peart's drum fills fly around the room like the drum solo on zappa Halloween Dvd A!.

I'm not complaining about the mix, I'm complaining about the way some dvd-a discs don't play properly when trying to do a phantom center. I never have a problem with SACD, and many DVD-A discs work fine with my samsung player. Many don't. It's a frustrating format. And it would be very difficult for me to get a center channel that matches my speakers, and also to get a 5th channel of amplification that matches my marantz quad amp. I'd need to buy all new equipment and have something custom built at this point.

My point is, this disc could have been authored to be more compatible. It's the first disc I've had that just plain stopped 2:30 in on my samsung. I've had other discs do weird things in the samsung, but this is by far the worst.

Sorry to dig up such an old post but did you ever resolve this problem? I have a very similar problem on my Panasonic DV-600AV. It just refuses to play the DVD-Audio - it hangs if I try to play it! I can play the DD fine but would dearly like to hear the higher resolution version.

I had an earlier Pioneer SACD/DVD (DV-575A), it needed a firmware update before it would play any of the DVD-Audio streams on the discs that REM did, I either got no audio, or it would just stick. After the firmware update it played them. I believe there are compatibility issues with some players and the JAVA on the discs, it is annoying which is why I prefer SACD. When I switched to a Denon DVD-2930 I had a similar problem with the multi-channel layer on some hybrid-SACDs which needed a firmware update to get round. The difficulty is in tracking down the firmware updates once the manufacturer stops supporting the player. Hope that helps.

Just got my new Acura TL so I could finally listen to this DVD-A. I've been a Rush fan for close to 40 years and I've seen them live 26 times so I know their music well.
Overall it sounds a lot like the CD, nothing too different. The album is a 10 but to me the mix is a 7 or an 8 so I gave it a 9 as the final score.
I noticed there are some things that are different from the original album or maybe I just never heard them. Some notes:
Tom Sawyer - Sounds good in the TL. I really love the wavy sound right before the guitar solo, it flys around the car and then Geddy's bass comes in like a friggin jackhammer. Impressive.
Red Barchetta - I always knew this song was recorded with a Ric bass but this is the first time I can actually hear that it's not the Fender. I also love the extended car screeching noise before the guitar solo. The bass solo at the end sounds cool too, you can actually hear the strings rubbing on the fret when one of his chords is fading.
YYZ - Nothing different except for the triangle at the beginning flying around.
Limelight - Nothing different at all. Maybe the high note Alex hits at the end stands out a little more.
The Camera Eye - The beginning sounds so cool but the rest of the song sounds normal.
With Hunt - Now it gets interesting with the drums flying around at the beginning. Also, it sounds like they took out some of Neil's tom hits during that early part? WTF were they thinking, did they forget to include them or did someone think they should be removed?
Vital Signs - Probably the best use of surround on this DVD. Geddy's bass solo at the end sounds incredible and I'm not even sure it's the same version I've been listening to for 30+ years.
It also sound like some of the vocals might be different on certain sections of songs?
The DVD seems to get better as it goes along I guess. In the end it's Rush so I love it. Much better than the Signals or AFTK's DVD.

Overall I'm a bit underwhelmed by this one. The mix has its moments but the basic placement has instruments gently leaning to the front or rear without committing to too great a separation. Yes, the band is a trio but the recording has loads of guitar and keyboard overdubs, not to mention a huge drum kit - more than enough discretely recorded elements to create a more immersive experience, all without diluting the power of the trio. Additionally I feel the drums are mixed too low and the low toms often sound 'mushy', lacking the punch and clarity of the original recording. I'm also not crazy about the extra use of reverb throughout. One notable spot is the guitar solo in "Tom Sawyer" where the added 'verb really diminishes its intensity for me. Still, the music and performances are very good. I just feel this material has the potential for a brilliant mix in the hands of another. A '7' for me.

A few little-known facts, and why you should love this album...

That weird square on the front of Peart's shirt? A drummers' perspective mic...
A double-neck *classical* guitar. Yes, that's right.
Yes, it's "Tom Soyee." Nobody knows why.
Eraserhead poster!
Kimonos...
Bongos!!!
Double-neck live SG shot!
That cutie dog/fox...
Look, I can vouch for recording and mixing similar material in a similar way. This is pretty well done...
Perfect? No. Hemispheres? Please!
Everybody got to evalate!

Fantastic music, very average mix. For the music i would vote 10, but this is voting for surround, so my over all enjoyment is only 8. The surround mix definitely sounds better than stereo , but i was hoping for so much more in a surround mix.

An “8” from me. This is the first Rick Chycki Rush mix I’ve heard and after reading so many complaints about these mixes over the years, I was really expecting much less. I think the surround mix is fine, and even very very good in places.

I’ve never been much of a Rush fan, but this album is about as good as they get for me. The 4 songs on the first side are arguably the 4 best they ever did. Certainly among the most popular. Side 2 always bored me, and still does. Although the mix at the beginning of “The Camera Eye” is fun.

My issue here is with the fidelity. I guess this might be how the album always sounded, but I find the drums to be a bit boomy and not well-defined. I was hoping for more detail there, especially with a surround mix.

But a good album that definitely deserves to be in surround. Glad to have it!

Last edited:
I've had that Holland audiophile pressing for this one since high school. (Along with Permanent Waves and 2112 of course.) Sounded pretty full blooded great. Not a hint of anything compromised. The HD stereo edition that came out a couple years ago sounds like the what that album must have been made from. A generation closer to the master tape. The Camera Eye might be my favorite track on this one. YYZ is at least a close 2nd of course but I listened to side two more often. This 5.1 remix is nothing short of insulting to the original. A 5.1 mix treated as a novelty by someone who really doesn't get surround sound is the nicest way I can put it. The original stereo mix is much more immersive and hi-fi.

If hearing the mix messed about with and a few things chiming out of multiple speakers is interesting to you, all good. If you're looking for the original level of mix aesthetic and having that expanded to surround, this will just piss you off.

I've had the BDA since release....and for some reason, I hadn't voted. I dunno....obviously one of my favorite albums and I used to simply wear this thing out back in the day in my car.

I guess I need to revisit this title, as it's one that I never play (BDA 5.1 that is) as I too was mostly under-whelmed. Again, Wilson and others just ruin it....

I'm listening now as I type and as Jim says, there are the occasional surround moments.....but they are far and few between. What I mostly hear is echo in the rears.....and I also notice Neil's drums tend to be lifeless at times...or at least, they don't breath. Do they?? I don't think so. This one does NOT suffer from the bizarre choices in the recent Hemispheres set though. (super loud bursts in center that sound out of place)

All I know is, I remember back in the day, this album sounded SPECTACULAR in 2 channel in a superior car system. I don't get that vibe with this mix. Again, I need to listen all the way through and vote. Hmmm.

@keywhiz this is about as good as Chycki-Rush gets... The original LP sounds great, to these ears, at least. Healthy dose of nostalgia, in this case. I didn't notice Chycki's mix sounding inferior, but I didn't A/B.
MP was a very early digital recording. It's sound does have its fans.

To be honest, I haven’t played this album — or heard anything from Side 2 as a result — since I was listening to a cassette dub from my LP copy back in the early 80s. My band at the time used to cover “Tom Sawyer” and after playing that song what easily must have been literally 1,000 times, it’s not album I ever wanted to go back to lol.

I should probably compare the surround mix fidelity to the hi-res stereo before I diss it too much. And the muddy/boomy lowend I hear might just be a function of how I have my system set up. Although this isn’t something that has bothered me with anything else I’ve played through it recently. But I will admit I’m constantly making adjustments looking for that “perfect” sound. The search for the holy grail, yes? Lol

Are there surround mixes of “Permanent Waves” and “Signals”? If so, how do you find them? Those were the only other Rush albums I cared much for back in the day. I wouldn’t mind giving those a spin if they are any good.

@keywhiz
The only Rush surround mix that's done to the same level as their original mixes is for A Farewell To Kings. All the rest of them are by Chycki and just treated as novelty (to put it kindly). The HD stereo masters are the real deal. All the CD editions are pretty stepped on from hyped mastering (as they often are).

@keywhiz
The only Rush surround mix that's done to the same level as their original mixes is for A Farewell To Kings. All the rest of them are by Chycki and just treated as novelty (to put it kindly). The HD stereo masters are the real deal. All the CD editions are pretty stepped on from hyped mastering (as they often are).

Yes. I’ve had the good fortune to listen to the Wilson remix of that album. While it is quite good, sadly I don’t really like that album beyond the one hit single and the instrumental pieces. I find Lee’s voice to be horrendously annoying on that album. I was hoping a SW remix of the album might turn me around on it, but it did not. :cautious:

By MP, he was starting to get away from the screechy high-voice thing he has been so maligned for over the years.

I enjoyed the sound of the band much more on the later albums beginning with “Signals”. Unfortunately, I don’t think the songwriting was as strong as it was before.

Odd band for me. Should be right in my wheelhouse for age, musicianship, etc. but they just never really clicked for me.

I guess the good news for me is that I’m not so familiar with all of the original mixes that I don’t hear the same problems with this remix that you do.

Back