HiRez Poll Rush - MOVING PICTURES [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of RUSH - Moving Pictures

• Total voters
Just got back from best buy. They had 4 copies of the blu-ray and 5 copies of the dvda on the rack for 27-29 dollars. Yes, the sale is over unless they ring up a discount at the register.

I would DEFINITELY check, because I've often found that Best Buy doesn't change the stickers even thought the item is on sale.

It was interesting to see people here in the Pocono Mountain / Stroudsburg, PA area buying them...
There was only 2 Blu-Ray copies and 1 DVD copy left and the "associate" told me they were selling rather well.
I wondered if it was just because there are many Rush freaks awaiting a new remaster or if there are that many surround fans up here.
I hope they do others like Farewell To Kings etc.
It's cool to see they're experimenting with the both formats.
It would have been cool to do CD/DVD-AV/Blu set for those of us who want the best of all worlds without 2 CDs
but I guess that's pushing it.

-B

PS - It would have also been nice if they gave it the plastic slipcover they gave the rest of their "Deluxe Editions".
Keeps the covers nice and keeps them from crinkling at the seams.

I voted 9

Simply put, I have never listened to any Rush album at low volume.

I cranked this sucker up, kicked back and......... now I am deaf!

All kidding aside, thanks to all for a 2011 DVD-A release. :smokin

I listened some more, it does sound better loud (the way i loved my music as a teenager). When you can't hear the neighbors you know you have the proper volume level...... I'm getting used to the mix and notice neat things happening in the rears like with Vital Signs. Agree that it would be nice to have the drums more prominent. Getting closer to voting....

I got it in the mail the other day and gave it the first spin this morning. I've never been a huge Rush fan (really like a lot of the music, really not very fond of Geddy's voice) but the Mrs likes them so we now have both the dvd-a and blu-ray sets in the house.

On first listen, pretty good. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would - perhaps being immersed in the 5.1, trying to pick out all the little nuances in the music, made me ignore the voice a little bit. A couple more listens and I'll give it a rating, but for now I'd say it's a good start and I hope they do more of the catalog.

Usually I don't post on the poll before listening to it, but this being such a "wet dream" for me, I am SO tickled pink!!!
Funny that I ripped my original LP a couple of months ago BEFORE any news of this came out and was wondering if we ever got to get this on MCH...
And on top of that, I preordered it on Amazon.co."uck"(hope the packaging is OK) and I saved 1.94 GBP and it got shipped today...
can't wait to hear it!!!

Can anyone find a link or an email address for us to 'write' in about what we think directly ?

I'd like to see all of us do so and encourage other surround releases from RUSH on the format.

"2112" would be the next logical release to me. That would kick ass. I'd buy two copies.

Can anyone find a link or an email address for us to 'write' in about what we think directly ?

I'd like to see all of us do so and encourage other surround releases from RUSH on the format.

"2112" would be the next logical release to me. That would kick ass. I'd buy two copies.

Great idea! Here's the link to Anthem records;

http://www.anthementertainmentgroup.com/

Just click on "Contact Anthem"

After a week of listening to "Moving Pictures" I had to dig in the archives and I listened to the remastered CD's of "2112" and "A Farewell To Kings" yesterday and "Caress Of Steel" today on vinyl. Great stuff!

It's nice to see that most of the votes are 8 and above on the Blu-ray edition. :)

I was looking at their album sales over the catalog and see that "2112" had their second biggest record sales (triple platinum).
I'm sure this will be the next release.
After that, I'd like to see "Signals", "Grace Under Pressure" or one of their later releases.

O.K., since everyone is chiming in with what they'd like to hear, mix-wise and otherwise...

Let me just say that my biggest gripe about this blu-ray is... it's not "Permanent Waves"!!!

I just noticed that there's a Thread on AVS (I have not Posted because I normally come here for all my surround Postings). Someone Posted on there about hearing a different snare fill on the intro to "The Camera Eye" compared to the stereo version. I will admit that this finding was a good catch. You can listen to the tracks that he isolated here: http://www.baniels.com/camera-eye/

I found the main page email submission link didn't work on one of my PC's, so here is the address [email protected] .

Remember those DVD-A questionnaire cards you never filled out ? :) Speak now or forever hold your piece.

Vapor Trails is next, though I've not seen it actually stated that it will be 5.1 - just remastered. I sure hope it will be in surround, and my guess is that it will be. Anyway, I voted 8. I really like this, but it isn't the greatest mix and the sound quality isn't quite there. It will probably wind up as one of my most played discs, so a highly recommended 8.

Someone Posted on there about hearing a different snare fill on the intro to "The Camera Eye" compared to the stereo version.

Check out the line, "Signals get crossed" in "Vital Signs". I've thought since I first listened that it was a different take, and having just A-B'd it with the stereo layer, I'm quite certain. Sometimes an album just get ingrained in your head!

OK so I just listened to this and am in Seventh Heaven ("...waiter..I'll have what he is havin'.... ")...yes, I would liken it to an aural orgasm...I may be a self confessed Rush fanboy, having bought this when it came out (..and being bass player whose main influences is Mr. Gary Lee, etc.)...

First of all the mix: I think that they have done an EXCELLENT job of preserving the original stereo sound and quality.(Disclaimer: when I refer to the "original mix" I'm talking about the LP version!)
No enhanced sounds, and only the occasional rear placement adding some rear panning to it.
I've read that some listeners do not like the drum sound. To me it sounds like they took the original drum sound and placed it in a 3D "cube" right in between the four corners of your speakers. I do not hear any "flatness"; quite the opposite, they sound as solid as they originally did.
Synths mostly in the rears when the band is present, leaving space for the guitars and the really breathtaking "Ripping yet ballsy" Rickenbacker bass sound.

This is a mix that probably will divide even further the Stereo vs. Surround debate because it is truly "Extended Stereo" mix. But then I digress...because in Stereo you can't hear EVERYTHING so clearly defined as in Surround, especially this kind of mix.

The only things I may not like is that the voice seems to be a bit too loud in some songs and the it may be shy on the " VERY Low Frequency" department.

Listening to this DVD-A I was reminded of Rush being a band that played mostly "live" in the studio- so that in concert they would sound the same.

It is a real pleasure that this time they got the concept of how to do an effective and superior Surround mix. It may also help that they had almost 30 years to come up with it (Holy Cow, Batman!...almost 30 years!!!...well, time is irrelevant and relative).

Buy this! It is a truly great release!!!

Back