The Nat King Cole Story 3-Channel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyn7772

Can anyone here recommend one of the Nat King Cole Analog production sacd releases to me.
Im as much interested in great content as well as a fantastic mastering Job (I cant stretch to the Nat King Cole Story)

I am so sorry to be responding to this so late. I have LOVE IS THE THING, and it is magnificent, especially the three channel version..If you have a good center channel speaker you are in for a treat. The stereo layer is also good, but with the three channel he is in the room!
Dwight

Depends on which Nat King Cole you like.

I found the first 2 (Love is the Thing, The Very Thought of You) too syrupy with all the strings.

Personally After Midnight and Just One of Those Things are my faves. No strings and lot more energy.

Can anyone here recommend one of the Nat King Cole Analog production sacd releases to me.
Im as much interested in great content as well as a fantastic mastering Job (I cant stretch to the Nat King Cole Story)

Yes, it's pricey. Just got the Nat King Cole Story in Hybrid 3 Channel SACD earlier this week. Wow! Kevin Gray, Steve Hoffman and Gus Skinas did a great job on this one.
Highly recommended.

Well, 3 channel stereo, The Nat King Cole Story, Analogue Productions, sounds fantastic. Not really sure what the benefit is of having the center speaker be so active, maybe for a very strong vocals with the music laid back and behind, at least that is what it sounds like. My parents music, but tonight I like it, Mona Lisa Baby.
CAPP_1613_SA__64377__02042011114922-879.jpg

Well, 3 channel stereo, The Nat King Cole Story, Analogue Productions, sounds fantastic. Not really sure what the benefit is of having the center speaker be so active, maybe for a very strong vocals with the music laid back and behind, at least that is what it sounds like. My parents music, but tonight I like it, Mona Lisa Baby.
View attachment 29316

Yes, The Nat King Cole Story in 3 Channel SACD Stereo is an essential SACD for any SACD collection.
Outstanding sound. Kudos to Kevin Gray, Steve Hoffman and Gus Skinas for their work on this one - and all of the Analogue Productions 3-Channel SACDs.

View attachment 29316

I know why - it's because Nat has such a classic voice...it needs to be front and center. I've heard that disc - Clint loaned it to me back in the day. Phenomenal. I really need to buy it.

Funny you should say that...I saw this thread a half hour ago and then pulled the trigger! I have a 2 LP set of his greatest hits from about 1970....I may have stolen it from my mother about 35 years ago....but it will be superfluous now. :D

Funny you should say that...I saw this thread a half hour ago and then pulled the trigger! I have a 2 LP set of his greatest hits from about 1970....I may have stolen it from my mother about 35 years ago....but it will be superfluous now. :D

The Nat King Cole Story in 3-Channel SACD is a must have SACD.
You will love it.

Check out this You Tube video with Gus Skinas from the Super Audio Center that mentions the Nat King Cole 3-Channel SACDs from Acoustic Sounds and their Analogue Productions label at the beginning of the video.
Skinas says of the tracks on the Nat King Cole SACD remastered discs: "They are pristine, it's like you are there with him."

Gus Skinas on DSD Video.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1zoFJYdUo

I'm a fan of the 3-Channel SACDs of Belafonte at Carnegie Hall: The Complete Edition, The Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall and Tony Bennett at Carnegie Hall on Analogue Productions.
All are excellent Analog Tape to DSD transfers.

But, I have to say that The Nat King Cole Story is definitely the one to get first.
Especially if you can only afford one.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...At_Carnegie_Hall-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...At_Carnegie_Hall-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD
http://positive-feedback.com/Issue78/belafonte_carnagie.htm
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/8...rnegie_Hall_1963-Hybrid_3-Channel_Stereo_SACD

Listening now to Disc 2. Really, as Brian has said, stunning. I need to get some more, the live Carnegie Hall as Brian noted sounds like a good start. For the record there are 3 tracks on the two discs that are not 3 channel stereo. There are 2 bonus tracks on disc 2. Also included are liner note, 2 booklets, with booklet every musician every song and the second booklet, a little story on every song. I am with Brian on this and basically just repeating him, but an SACD must have. Glad I have it.

Listening now to Disc 2. Really, as Brian has said, stunning. I need to get some more, the live Carnegie Hall as Brian noted sounds like a good start. For the record there are 3 tracks on the two discs that are not 3 channel stereo. There are 2 bonus tracks on disc 2. Also included are liner note, 2 booklets, with booklet every musician every song and the second booklet, a little story on every song. I am with Brian on this and basically just repeating him, but an SACD must have. Glad I have it.

IMO, ALL of the AP Nat King Cole three channel, two channel and even MONO SACDs are uniformly spectacular. Now if only AP could get the rights to Frank Sinatra's Capitol classic ONLY THE LONELY* [on SACD] I'd be a VERY happy camper.

*Sinatra's personal favorite among ALL his recordings.

Back