Caravan: In the land of grey and pink - Pre order!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good news, I got a shipping notice today.
Bad news, it won't arrive until June 21 :(

mine is on the way too, hopefully will arrive shortly after I'm back from vacation (and a Blackfield show!). Glad I pre-ordered with the price guarantee - the price did indeed go down since I placed my order and I was informed that I've now saved an addition 6p....yahoo, I'm going on a spending spree with that!

For those who want to know, I received mine today and I can confirm that it is only Dolby Digital, both the 5.1 and the stereo mixes. I'm a little bit disappointed that there is no DTS stream and not even a PCM stereo track.
Can't judge the mix and the sound quality for now because I won't have time in the forthcoming days to listen to this one.

ah, shit!...this'll be the last time I get something before somebody confirms it's only DULLBEE...
at least , with the Fink Ployd "drowning set" we've been warned, so NO DICE!!!!

I'm with you. I think the record companies need to take notice that what they put out just isn't good enough in this day and age. I think everyone should boycot any further releases unless a high quality audio stream is included

I got burnt with that junk "Black Sabbath - Paranoid" release. How is it that we all have a better version of that album than the record company releases, huh?

OD

ah, shit!...this'll be the last time I get something before somebody confirms it's only DULLBEE...
at least , with the Fink Ployd "drowning set" we've been warned, so NO DICE!!!!

What he said. I can't believe I fell for this as well. I preordered from amazon.uk and shipment is on its way so what do I do now.
Why did I assume with Steve Wilson's involvement they would do this right. Why waste the money of using one of the best surround gurus and then only give a DD option for us to hear it in, this just sucks.

What's amazing is that, if you look over this thread, there's not one place where it said "DTS" or "DVD-A" or anything. It was all assumptions that people just ran with. Only Neil appeared to notice. I understand where those who wanted higher resolution with their mix might be dissapointed. Hopefully, a well-done mix by Steven will balance things about a bit for them.

It does get me wondering as to what would be the minimum resolution I'd spend money on. I have zero issue with 44.1 DTS (as many know), so I'm guessing that would be the minimum for me as well. I don't have DVD-A capability currently, but there's always ways to turn those into something playable.

Perhaps all of us who special ordered this should return it to Amazon with the explanation that dd only is unacceptable. This is indeed disappointing and one wonders if Steve Wilson knew, or cared about the final product format. After all his name is being used to promote this package so he should.

Theres always the chance the dvd mixes might sound good....

Disappointment...Yes as I'd have preferred DTS as a minimum, but since I love the 'record' I'll still be glad to have it....stereo, 5.1 even if DD and the videos, all for a rather cheap price to begin with anyway. I'll let my ears make up their own mind once I actually listen to it. (??) The surround effects may very well be well done and up there with the best DD mixes ever! Well, there have to be a few good ones out there..... I didn't mind Steve Miller, Pink!, etc.

I received my copy today and like others here was disappointed to find it's only DD. On the plus side it is a very interesting mix from an early prog band and Steve wilson has done it justice in opening up the sound enormously from the original stereo version. I have always had a liking for Caravan's style of music and this definitely does enhance it. If the original recording is good and mixed well it is still possible to enjoy surround in DD and this does seem a good mix on first listen. Despite it being DD I will definitely spin this a few times.

I received my copy today and like others here was disappointed to find it's only DD. On the plus side it is a very interesting mix from an early prog band and Steve wilson has done it justice in opening up the sound enormously from the original stereo version. I have always had a liking for Caravan's style of music and this definitely does enhance it. If the original recording is good and mixed well it is still possible to enjoy surround in DD and this does seem a good mix on first listen. Despite it being DD I will definitely spin this a few times.

Someone who actually heard the mix and is judging it on the mix itself. I thought all those folks were killed off in the flood. Amazing. ;)

I agree with the comments i know the album reasonably well, and the mix does not dissappoint. so on that level this is a success.
Though the packaging suffers from Universal great new policy of putting a sticky band round the package rather than the more deluxe plastic sleeve, and not puting the DVD in its own digishelf but tucked inside the sleeve as an afterthought.

I agree with you Rusinurbe, the disc does seem like it's been tucked away.

But the mix does sound as good as DD gets and yes, the other formats would have really made this something special but I never expected a 5.1 mix of this in the first place so I'm grateful nonetheless. Considering the liner notes indicate the masters were handled at 24bit maybe we'll get something hi-res further down the line. I agree with everyone over the waste of an opportunity here but I'm still thrilled to hear Caravan in surround.

But the mix is good and I'll say it sounds good for DD too - I'm still hearing more than I did in the previous stereo CD and it's beautifully balanced throughout. Mr Wilson has done a superb job.

I'm not going to kick myself for buying it - I'm enjoying it too much...

A poster on the SH forums claiming to be Steven Wilson posted this:
Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
Hello folks - this is Steven Wilson, I'm new here! Anyway, I did the 5.1 remix of In the Land of Grey and Pink, and I'm also very disappointed that there wasn't a lossless DVDA included in the reissue, but as I'm sure you already suspect it's to do with major label politics and saving a few cents. Unfortunately this is something largely out of my control, though of course I always make the best case I can for high res formats, especially when I've gone to so much trouble to make the mixes sound as good as I can. Here's a question - if we could find a way to make the lossless 2.0 and 5.1 files available to download, is it easy for you guys to burn your own playable discs? Forgive my ignorance on this, it's not something I've ever tried to do myself. Not saying that this could happen, because I would have to go through official channels to get the record company to agree to do it, but in principle? It seems such a shame that the high res audio files exist but aren't available to the people that would appreciate them. SW

Back