Caravan: In the land of grey and pink - Pre order!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCuff

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Saw this on the Rush Moving Pictures thread.
-------------------------------------------
So far it's only on Amazon UK:
h$$p://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Grey-Pi...2130419&sr=8-4

Frankly, I'd be surprised if I saw a domestic USA listing for it and Amazon USA import price will probably be a lot higher. £12.99 *less* VAT (plus shipping) ain't too bad for a 3 disc set.....

I pre-ordered with the price guarantee - came to £13.91
-----------------------------------------------------
I just ordered and it was same price to San Diego.

What's annoying with Amazon is the complete lack of details. Why a 3 disc set i wonder?

Steven Wilson said he remixed a whole heap of outtakess so maybe theer is a lot of stuff.
I see on Caravans web site they state that there is also a long lost video on the DVD.

What's annoying with Amazon is the complete lack of details. Why a 3 disc set i wonder?

The details are not even on Caravan's website yet but I suspect that more will be known soon. I suspect the 3 dsics could be something like:
1) the album
2) outtakes, b-sides, rarities etc
3) the dvd

or perhaps a disc with the original album mix and one with a new mix and the outtakes plus the dvd.

The Caravan website lists songs on the three cds as does Amazon and also mentions a 5.1 mix being done. They are not sure if the dvd is included or will be separate. Looks like lots of alternate takes and BBC live versions.
Even if only a DTS version is available I'l still get it, DTS can still sound good. I was reminded of that when I listened to the first Porcupine Tree live dvd this weekend.

Here is the latest info from the Caravan website. Disc 3 is a DVD. It just doesn't say what the 5.1 mix is available as.

In The Land of Grey and Pink 40th Anniversary Deluxe

Posted on Wednesday, 30 March 2011
The 40th Anniversary 3-Disc Box Set re-release of the legendary album
'In The Land of Grey and Pink' is now available for PRE-ORDER at [ Amazon ] [ HMV ]

Release is set for 30 May 2011.

Description:

To celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the release of Caravan’s In The Land Of Grey And Pink, Universal is pleased to announce a special three-disc, deluxe edition of the album. The original multi-track session and album masters have been revisited by Steven Wilson (of Porcupine Tree and Blackfield) who has prepared new stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound mixes.

Disc One features the original album newly remastered by Paschal Byrne at The Audio Archive plus three new Stereo mixes by Steven Wilson.

Disc Two features two previously unreleased versions of “It Doesn’t Take A Lot” and “Nigel Blows A Tune” plus four non-album tracks remixed by Wilson Disc two also includes three songs recorded live for BBC radio’s Sounds of the Seventies - “Love To Love You”, “Love Song Without Flute” and “In The Land Of Grey And Pink” plus two songs recorded live for John Peel’s Sunday Concert which included a superb cover version of Soft Machine’s “Feelin’, Reelin’, Squealin’” and Caravan’s own magnum opus, “Nine Feet Underground”.

Disc Three is a DVD featuring the brand new 5.1 Surround Sound and Stereo mix of the album plus two performances recorded for German TV’s Beat Club in June 1971. “Golf Girl” was broadcast at the time but “Winter Wine” has never been seen.

Track Listing:

Disc One

01. Golf Girl (5.01)
02. Winter Wine (7.36)
03. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) (3.03)
04. In The Land of Grey and Pink (5.00)
05. Nine Feet Underground (22.43)
a. Nigel Blows A Tune
b. Love’s a Friend
c. Make it 76
d. Dance of the Seven Paper Hankies
e. Hold Granddad by The Nose
f. Honest I Did !
g. Disassociation
h. 100% Proof

6. Frozen Rose (I Don’t Know It’s Name Alias The Word) - S. Wilson Stereo Mix (6.08) *
7. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) - First Version - S. Wilson Stereo Mix (3.26) **
8. Nine Feet Underground (Alternate Version) - S. Wilson Stereo Mix (22.39) **

* Previously Unreleased Mix
** Previously Unreleased Version

Disc Two

01. Aristocracy - S. Wilson Stereo Mix (3.15) *
02. It Doesn’t Take A Lot - Previously Unreleased Version (3.14) **
03. Love To Love You (And Pigs Will Fly) - Extended Version - S. Wilson Stereo Mix (3.21) *
04. It’s Likely To Have A Title Next Week (Winter Wine Instrumental) S. Wilson Stereo Mix (7.48) *
05. Nigel Blows A Tune - First Version - Previously Unreleased Version (5.51) **
06. Group Girl (Golf Girl - First Version) - S. Wilson Stereo Mix (5.14) *
07. Love Song Without Flute - Sounds of the Seventies Session (3.33)
08. In The Land of Grey and Pink - Sounds of the Seventies Session (3.44)
09. Love To Love You (And Pigs Will Fly) - Sounds of the Seventies Session (3.12)
10. Nine Feet Underground - John Peel Sunday Concert (14.27)
11. Feelin’ Reelin’ Squeelin’ - John Peel Sunday Concert (9.30)

** Previously Unreleased Version

Disc Three (DVD)

01. Golf Girl - S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (5.04) *
02. Winter Wine - S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (7.37) *
03. Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly) - S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (3.05) *
04. In The Land of Grey and Pink - S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (5.01) *
05. Nine Feet Underground - S. Wilson 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (22.40) *
a. Nigel Blows A Tune
b. Love’s a Friend
c. Make it 76
d. Dance of the Seven Paper Hankies
e. Hold Granddad by The Nose
f. Honest I Did !
g. Disassociation
h. 100% Proof

Video
01. Golf Girl from Beat Club - Germany (Broadcast - June 1971)
02. Winter Wine from Beat Club - Germany (Recorded but never before seen - June 1971)

I owned Cunning Stunts and Blind Dog at St. Dunstan's on vinyl way back when and enjoyed them very much. For no specific reason, I never got any Caravan on the "popular CD format" (as Letterman used to call it) when I was transitioning so I haven't heard them in at least 25 years. Looking forward to this one.

Order it on the Amazon Uk site. its a lot cheaper comes to around $22 or 13.91 pounds.

I've never even heard this group, so I'm going by blind faith, just pre ordered it...hope it's really worth it ..if not I can always sell it!!! Cheers!

My order has shipped from Amazon - could be here on Saturday, a lovely start to the bank holiday weekend.

As OD says, Golf Girl is pure pop perfection...

Lucky you, I preordered and am waiting for my copy.No shipping date yet. Guess we'll find out soon if it includes a dvd audio or not.

Back