RCVR: Beomaster 6000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hade the same problem, and I figured out that pictures must be 800 pixels wide maximum (height can be anything). Also, I was new member, and it seems there are some restrictions under 20 posts at your name. I wish this was mentioned clear somewhere.

What a beautifully designed quad system - that B&O turntable alone is a work of art. Philips thought so highly of B&O's design skills that they used B&O's main designers to create the Magnavox Magnavision Model 8000 LaserDisc player in 1975. It was sold in Europe and the UK as the Philips VLP-600/700. In the early 90's I wanted B&O's video system because it was the only television set on the US market that decoded full NTSC color bandwidth and had color phosphors that matched the 1953 NTSC standard and color temp. B&O's television set with the Super VHS unit and remote looked like they belonged in an art gallery, as does their quad gear.

Did the B&O quad units have a logic based SQ or QS decoder, or were they focused on CD-4?
PhilipsMagnavoxMagnavisionPlayer1975.jpg
The Magnavision 8000 LaserDisc Player

Hi Disclord ,

Yes ,the Beosytem 6000 and 3400 are beautiful quad system in the meedle of seventies, but their price are very very expensive in 1975 ,for exemple :the pay by month in France was 2500 Francs (540 $ ) and if you want to buy just the beomaster 6000 the price was 4700 F (1015 $) without player record/speakers/commander and MMC6000.

My units are only CD-4 . Bang & Olufsen don't have another quad product ,but the video/tv integrate have the DTS and surround 5.1.

My old TV of 1986 have already the surround with 5 speakers and the sound .......B&O (special decoder electronic of the firm) .

I try again to put some photos : Beomaster 3400 , Beovision avant , ouverture ,pentaDSC_0503_bis.jpgHPIM0365.jpg

Great picture! You neglected to mention that the TV has a motor that elecrically swivels it. It also has a screen that closes like a curtain when it is powered down, similar to Louve sets. I love B&O but have never owned any. 10 year ago, I worked for a B&O dealer and was trained by B&O at their regional facility near my house. An old friend of mine owns a dedicated B&O store.

Head & shoulders, B&O is the best cosmetic design ever. The gear is also technically very sound, though a bit overpriced.

Linda

Hi Disclord ,

Yes ,the Beosytem 6000 and 3400 are beautiful quad system in the meedle of seventies, but their price are very very expensive in 1975 ,for exemple :the pay by month in France was 2500 Francs (540 $ ) and if you want to buy just the beomaster 6000 the price was 4700 F (1015 $) without player record/speakers/commander and MMC6000.

My units are only CD-4 . Bang & Olufsen don't have another quad product ,but the video/tv integrate have the DTS and surround 5.1.

My old TV of 1986 have already the surround with 5 speakers and the sound .......B&O (special decoder electronic of the firm) .

I try again to put some photos : Beomaster 3400 , Beovision avant , ouverture ,pentaView attachment 4282View attachment 4284

Great picture! You neglected to mention that the TV has a motor that elecrically swivels it. It also has a screen that closes like a curtain when it is powered down, similar to Louve sets. I love B&O but have never owned any. 10 year ago, I worked for a B&O dealer and was trained by B&O at their regional facility near my house. An old friend of mine owns a dedicated B&O store.

Head & shoulders, B&O is the best cosmetic design ever. The gear is also technically very sound, though a bit overpriced.

Linda

Somewhat like Curtis Mathis in the 70's - their televisions were very high priced, BUT, were the only NTSC sets on the consumer market that decoded the full I/Q color bandwidth, had full DC Restoration for true blacks that didn't 'bounce' and the correct color temp of white at 6500 degrees Kelvin. None of which was available from any other company until B&O brought out their televisions in the US. None of the video magazines ever took note of Curtis Mathis though because their sets looked like something that grandma would own - big wooden consoles - yet their televisions outperformed every set on the market - you had to step up to industrial televisions to get the same picture quality. Curtis Mathis even sold the first all-in-one Betamax/TV console from Sony too, but built their own oak cabinet for it - Zenith did the same. The Sony version looked (and still looks) 'space age' in design while the Curtis Mathis and Zenith versions just look "old". The Sony Betamax/TV console can be seen in the Bionic Woman episode "Kill Oscar Pt.1" (the Fembot's episode)

I forgot that B&O's had sets that turned - wasn't the feature designed so that you pointed the remote at the set and it turned its screen to face the remote? I didn't know they had a door for the screen - did it come in from one or both sides or up and down? I saw a prototype RCA widescreen set - back when they were trying to get their terrible NTSC compatible ACTV system selected as the HD broadcast standard - that had motorized side 'curtains' that automatically moved in to mask off the sides of the screen when 4x3 programs were viewed and moved back when widescreen ACTV programs came on.

Disclord your technical prowess never ceases to amaze me! When I was writing that thread, I wondered if I was making myself clear. Obviously, I wasn't. There isn't a door on the B&O screen. When the screen powers down, the display turns off by folding in from both sides of the screen, like closing a curtain. That's how the newer B&O tubes worked anyway.

B&O is at the opposite end of the style spectrum from Curtis Mathes. Incredible design. Very cool, uncomplicated.

BTW: Curtis' brother Burke Mathes bought Pacific Stereo from CBS. He was financially backed by Curtis. Then, Curtis passed and the trouble began. The beginning of the end. I exited when CBS had Pacific on the block. Higher end audio was calling. Tube gear and more audio esoterica beckoned.

Linda

Somewhat like Curtis Mathis in the 70's - their televisions were very high priced, BUT, were the only NTSC sets on the consumer market that decoded the full I/Q color bandwidth, had full DC Restoration for true blacks that didn't 'bounce' and the correct color temp of white at 6500 degrees Kelvin. None of which was available from any other company until B&O brought out their televisions in the US. None of the video magazines ever took note of Curtis Mathis though because their sets looked like something that grandma would own - big wooden consoles - yet their televisions outperformed every set on the market - you had to step up to industrial televisions to get the same picture quality. Curtis Mathis even sold the first all-in-one Betamax/TV console from Sony too, but built their own oak cabinet for it - Zenith did the same. The Sony version looked (and still looks) 'space age' in design while the Curtis Mathis and Zenith versions just look "old". The Sony Betamax/TV console can be seen in the Bionic Woman episode "Kill Oscar Pt.1" (the Fembot's episode)

I forgot that B&O's had sets that turned - wasn't the feature designed so that you pointed the remote at the set and it turned its screen to face the remote? I didn't know they had a door for the screen - did it come in from one or both sides or up and down? I saw a prototype RCA widescreen set - back when they were trying to get their terrible NTSC compatible ACTV system selected as the HD broadcast standard - that had motorized side 'curtains' that automatically moved in to mask off the sides of the screen when 4x3 programs were viewed and moved back when widescreen ACTV programs came on.

After years of debating, whether it was worth it, I finally bought a Beomaster 6000, along with its even rarer remote. While it supposedly came from a German "collector, hardly used, except for occasional demonstrations," it seems worn befitting its age. This device has servo-driven -- read -- mechanical potentiometers -- for volume, balance, tone control -- which are operated with "touch" controls. All of that will require a good going over it seems. Still...it looks nice just sitting there!

great ! i hope you have a good pleasure to use your Beomaster 6000 , if you want to have a complete satisfaction , try to buy the remote control (commander in B&O but very difficult to find the battery) and the tape recorder , the Beogram 6000 record deck( vinyl CD4) with the MMC 6000 or 4000 (the stylus MMC 6000 don't exist now but you can use a non-CD4 stylus actually : the MC 20 CL work in quadraphonic with a presure of 1 gramme or other solution ,with sound & smith) and the final : four M75 or 100 loudspeakers. When you arrive to complete, you have (i think ) ,the better system of the 70/80 years with the sound B&O. The Beomaster is a marvellus system but old and it need to change all diode and resistance (sorry ,i don't know this words in english) to enjoy it.

Welcome in the smallest world of owners of Beosystem 6000

Denisc

Nice thread. I love the beomaster 6000 and all the years since I scraped one of these back in 1980 (it felt from the top of a shelf) I have wished for an other. In january this year I found a set containing BM 6000, Commander 6000, BG 6000 with a good MMC6000 and 2 pieces of BV S45 for total 1000 SEK. Thats about 90 Euro.
I have a page on Facebook whit lots of pictures and there also a channel at Youtube whit some films.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beomaster/310822548961605
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tamcitron?feature=mhee

Back