Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skipped the deluxe version (too much $$ for 5.1) so this is a most welcome purchase.

I finally bought the expensive Aqualung Box, but there is no way I could pass up the chance to align the new Aqualung with my prior Tull "book style" releases all together on my bookshelf(y) Removing the needless mastering is key and the extra 5.1 tracks are nice as well. Why can't I buy it now? That is my only question. :music

Oh geez. If you get it I guess that means I have to get it too. :confused:

Super excited about this because like many others I just couldn't justify getting the super deluxe set (or whatever they called it).
But I got some catchin' up to do, still haven't bought Minstrel, War Child or Too Old To Rock and Roll yet.
With the Canadian dollar in the dumpster I need to start robbing banks or something to afford all this stuff

Was the 5.1/quad/original stereo mix on the Blu-ray also mastered by Peter Mew for the original Aqualung box? Or did he only master the CDs and the SW stereo mix (on all discs)?

Was the 5.1/quad/original stereo mix on the Blu-ray also mastered by Peter Mew for the original Aqualung box? Or did he only master the CDs and the SW stereo mix (on all discs)?

Peter Mew definitely mastered the 5.1 mix as well, but it's debatable whether he also mastered the Quad and original stereo mixes as part of the set. On the back of the set, it lists the original stereo mix on the Blu-Ray as a flat transfer, but it doesn't do the same for the Quad. Maybe others could jump in and verify.

Peter Mew definitely mastered the 5.1 mix as well, but it's debatable whether he also mastered the Quad and original stereo mixes as part of the set. On the back of the set, it lists the original stereo mix on the Blu-Ray as a flat transfer, but it doesn't do the same for the Quad. Maybe others could jump in and verify.
According to Plan9 (on the other forum):

Plan9 said:
He mastered the remixes (stereo & 5.1).
The Quad mix (I think) and the original stereo mix are flat transfers (albeit with terrible glitches on the stereo).

Since they are making changes to this release...I wonder why they aren't calling it the 45th anniversary edition...I'm not sure amazon's description of "adapted" was provided by the Tull marketing department...

Me too. According to the Amazon tracklisting, it's looking as if the multi-tracks for the last 3 tracks off the EP are still missing huh? Ah well, the original flat transfer will certain do. :)

Me too. According to the Amazon tracklisting, it's looking as if the multi-tracks for the last 3 tracks off the EP are still missing huh? Ah well, the original flat transfer will certain do. :)

I would NEVER depend on an amazon description as being accurate...and this is a pre order...they are lucky to get the finished product described correctly.

Ok, so after looking at the Burning Shed page, here is what is different about this new release from the one released in 2011:

-No Peter Mew mastering on any of the discs!
-Flat transfer of the original stereo mix of the entire "Life is a Long Song" EP (two of the EP's tracks haven't been available in this form previously)
-on DVD 1, SEVEN additional tracks remixed in 5.1 surround. (On the original DVD & Blu-Ray, only 4 additional tracks had surround mixes, so there's actually more surround in this set!)
-on DVD 2, there's also the addition of the "Life is a Long Song" promo film with the remixed stereo audio.

So now the big question is, what additional tracks are in surround on this set that were not in surround on the 2011 release?
The 2011 release had these 4 additional surround mixes:
-"Lick Your Fingers Clean"
-"My God (Early Version)"
-"Life is a Long Song"
-"Up the 'Pool"

I'm going to guess that the exclusive additional surround mixes for this release are as follows:
-"Wond'ring Aloud (13th December 1970 version)
-"Wind-Up (Early Version)"
-"Wond'ring Aloud, Again"

We'll see if I'm right or not! :)

EDIT: JohnN now says that "Just Trying to Be", "Wind-Up (Early Version), and "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" are the new additional 5.1 mixes, so as far as my guessing goes, two out of three ain't bad! ;)

Stereo Only:
Wond'ring Aloud (13th December 1970 version)
Slipstream (Take 2)
Up the Pool (early version)

EP
Life Is A Long Song
Up the Pool
Dr. Bogenbroom
From Later
Nursie

Just trying to get this right. :mad:@: Corrections welcome!

Since they are making changes to this release...I wonder why they aren't calling it the 45th anniversary edition...I'm not sure amazon's description of "adapted" was provided by the Tull marketing department...

Twisted my arm they did-LOL-they made me help with this edition :music It was called 40th Anniversary Adapted Edition from the beginning of my help.

Bonus tracks in 5.1: *not on previous set in 5.1
Lick Your Fingers Clean
*Just Trying To Be
My God (early version)
*Wind Up (early version)
*Wond’ring Aloud, Again (full Morgan version)
Up The Pool
Life Is A Long Song

I have the big box from 2011. If I get the new set, which I will, is it worth keeping both, given that I am really not bothered about the vinyl?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back