Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a long time, it wasn't, seeing as it had already received a stereo remix anniversary edition from the Mewtilator. But then Ian Anderson alluded to a new edition from Wilson, complete with 5.1 (I think it's an 8-track recording like Stand Up and Benefit, so doable). Can't find the quote right now, but it's been posted here on QQ before.

Is has been mentioned for sure, see the post on the 'Steven Wilson Remixes' Facebook group (16th Sept 16 - 13:30) it says for this year with Songs From The Wood, here's a link that probably won't work!

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes/photos/a.1640727516159387.1073741828.1640579999507472/1833476020217868/?type=3&theater

Here's the relevant text copied...

"I'm very much focussing on my own music these days, but will certainly keep slotting in the remix projects whenever I can. The other already completed mixes, Roxy Music's debut and Tears for Fears "Seeds of Love", remain in a holding pattern. I hope both will come out next year, but then the Roxy album has been "next year" every year since I did it in 2012! In the meantime another set of XTC tapes from the Virgin era have been found, and I certainly plan to continue with the Tull series (This Was, Songs From the Wood...etc), so look out for these in 2017."

I'm pretty sure I've seen it mentioned in 'slightly' more detail elsewhere too, perhaps in an interview or something, but definitely before Songs From The Wood was announced, I was expecting it first to be honest...

Our TooTull/JohnN posted this over at that other place - he'd probably post it here too so sorry for stealing your thunder....some mention of Heavy Horses...looks like next year:

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/lehigh-valley-music/mc-ent-musikfest-ian-anderson-jethro-tull-20170810-story.html
“But I’m on tour all the time. I have to grab a few days here and a few days there to do these things – just as Steven Wilson is working on the remasters of ‘Heavy Horses’ right now, he grabs a day here or half a day there or half an hour in a dressing room somewhere on the other side of the planet to send me some files. That’s what I’ve been doing this afternoon – is listening to and making a few notes to tweak the new Steven Wilson remixes of the ‘Heavy Horses’ album, which will be released next year.”

Here's an interesting interview with Ian Anderson that appeared in my local paper on Sunday, prior to his appearance at a festival in my area. He mentions the upcoming Heavy Horses re-issue near the end of the article. http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/...-ian-anderson-jethro-tull-20170810-story.html

I'm being redundant. Somehow I missed the previous post containing the same link (after looking directly at it and not noticing it). Must be that age thing.

Been kinda quiet in Tull Land.

Should find out soon what's up for Fall 2017 release .:D(y)

If anything...
Last I heard, it sounds like both "Heavy Horses" and "This Was" are more likely candidates for reissue next year (with hopefully the former being released in the Spring. Can't wait to hear "Heavy Horses" in surround!)

Unless they come out with a re-adapted reissue of "Thick as a Brick", I have trouble imagining another release that would work for the Fall.

Well for me I want em both as well.

Last I read H.H. was done and This Was was being finished , and I kinda got a feeling (premonition/prediction really ),This Was would happen Fall or Early Winter .
But it don't matter too much which one comes first , as long as we know they're on the way . :D

I will buy both as well. Oddly enough, I have Heavy Horses on CD and I have never played it. I guess I should do that before it comes time to order it. :confused:

If anything...
Last I heard, it sounds like both "Heavy Horses" and "This Was" are more likely candidates for reissue next year (with hopefully the former being released in the Spring. Can't wait to hear "Heavy Horses" in surround!)

Unless they come out with a re-adapted reissue of "Thick as a Brick", I have trouble imagining another release that would work for the Fall.

Don't forget a 're-adapted' Benefit too, looks like the original is pretty much sold out so it may well be time. I thought we might see This Was this year, at least we know they are in progress!

Don't forget a 're-adapted' Benefit too, looks like the original is pretty much sold out so it may well be time. I thought we might see This Was this year, at least we know they are in progress!

In the case of both "Benefit" and "Thick as a Brick", I'm only interested in re-adapted editions if they contain some more material not available on the 2013 and 2012 releases, or unless they decide to put them out on Blu-Ray.
If the latter happens, then I'm definitely all in!
If Marillion can do it, why can't Jethro Tull?

:)

In the case of both "Benefit" and "Thick as a Brick", I'm only interested in re-adapted editions if they contain some more material not available on the 2013 and 2012 releases, or unless they decide to put them out on Blu-Ray.

It really would make sense for them to do single Blu-ray releases of each of the Tull books with all of the material, audio and video included. Obviously 96kHz 24Bit, I assume they would have been transferred and remixed in hi-res? I imagine a few folks would double dip on a Blu too and the books generally sell out so it's a way to keep them available.

I only want Benefit in a book to satisfy my OCD! I doubt they'll find anything extra, but who knows what's been unearthed since their original release. Maybe (hoping!) there is something from the TAAB period as that was pretty light on extras first time around and one of my favourites!

People tend to get very po'd when a new addition comes along that features a few nuggets not on previous issue. Yep, they cry about being forced to double dip. Angry and nasty posts on the forums.

I need to catch up on my JT. I'm hoping both SFTW & HH are saved from what I suspect was shockingly lower studio budgets for mix time compared to what we had become accustomed to with previous albums. The reviews I've read for SFTW so far sound like it is exactly that.

But I actually would really like to hear the "A" album remixed by SW in 5.1! This one has the lowest budget mix and was the poorest vinyl quality of them all but there are some really progressive and psychedelic things buried in this album that deserve to be presented properly. There's a remixed track on the 25 years box I think that - poor as the production is on that set - wipes the floor with the original.

I need to catch up on my JT. I'm hoping both SFTW & HH are saved from what I suspect was shockingly lower studio budgets for mix time compared to what we had become accustomed to with previous albums. The reviews I've read for SFTW so far sound like it is exactly that.

But I actually would really like to hear the "A" album remixed by SW in 5.1! This one has the lowest budget mix and was the poorest vinyl quality of them all but there are some really progressive and psychedelic things buried in this album that deserve to be presented properly. There's a remixed track on the 25 years box I think that - poor as the production is on that set - wipes the floor with the original.

The reviews you have read confirm that SFTW got a (suspected) lower budget to work with?

Not at all, you are dreaming up ideas not based on reality. That set went all out with content and addded video was not cheap to do. And the sound quality I am reading about is said to be stellar.

I know nothing about HH as of yet, but I have no worries of it (if it gets done) being a low quality low budget affair.

They will continue these sets or they will stop. I don't see cutting corners an option at this point.

I guess I don't know what you are talking about. SFTW is a winner on nearly every score. What reviews are you reading?

The reviews you have read confirm that SFTW got a (suspected) lower budget to work with?

Not at all, you are dreaming up ideas not based on reality. That set went all out with content and addded video was not cheap to do. And the sound quality I am reading about is said to be stellar.

I know nothing about HH as of yet, but I have no worries of it (if it gets done) being a low quality low budget affair.

They will continue these sets or they will stop. I don't see cutting corners an option at this point.

Isn't he referring to the original 70's mixes? The new mixes are all stellar! If you haven't got SFTW yet what are you waiting for, it might not be around forever...

Heavy Horses is in progress, Ian mentioned he was giving feedback on SW's mixes during a recent interview :D

This recent interview at popdose.com with Ian was linked in Burning Shed's twitter feed....the 5.1 related info:

Q: What is the current status with the Chrysalis reissue series? The most recent remaster was Songs From The Wood. I was wondering if that meant Heavy Horses was next, whether you would be jumping around the chronology to go to The Broadsword and the Beast, or if the series was concluded?

Ian A: Heavy Horses is indeed the next one, and has been completed and signed-off as far as the stereo remixes are concerned, that Steven Wilson has been working the material with me over several years. He himself has a new album out (To The Bone -ED.) and he is preparing a whole bunch of tour dates, and so he’s a bit tied up when it comes to doing the 5.1 surround stereo mixes. Therefore, it is now being released in the early part of next year. It will be a lavish boxed set with a lot of material. We’ve been working on that during the last many months. It’s kind of ready to go as soon as Steven plugs in the actual stereo mix layout and then redistributes things in 5.1, and makes a few little tweaks and changes. Then I’ll go to his studio and listen to it, and we’ll hopefully get that on the road in time for a release in the early part of 2018.

Back