Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, SFTW is next, likely followed by This Was in the fall (either Steven or Ian confirmed it was happening/done), and then... Hopefully Heavy Horses for Christmas or early 2018? Presumably, Stormwatch is on the docket, too, but I'm guessing that may be the end of the special editions.

The special editions might not end after "Stormwatch", but Steven Wilson's involvement will surely stop after "Stormwatch".
I personally would prefer "Heavy Horses" to come out in the Fall of this year, but just getting "Songs from the Wood" will be more than enough to satisfy me this year as far as Jethro Tull is concerned.
I have a strong feeling that this upcoming reissue will be the best one since "Minstrel in the Gallery".

:)

The special editions might not end after "Stormwatch", but Steven Wilson's involvement will surely stop after "Stormwatch".
I personally would prefer "Heavy Horses" to come out in the Fall of this year, but just getting "Songs from the Wood" will be more than enough to satisfy me this year as far as Jethro Tull is concerned.
I have a strong feeling that this upcoming reissue will be the best one since "Minstrel in the Gallery".

:)

I think they will carry on with the special editions as they have been so popular, but you're right, Steven probably won't always be involved as he has already stated. I'd love it if he saw the project through to the end, but I don't think the later material interests him as much. He has already mentioned that This Was is happening so I'd expect to see that this year and maybe (hopefully!) a repack of Benefit (in the same book format) and possibly Thick As A Brick with the corrected mixes and maybe some extra material??? Wishful thinking I know! ;-)

I think they will carry on with the special editions as they have been so popular, but you're right, Steven probably won't always be involved as he has already stated. I'd love it if he saw the project through to the end, but I don't think the later material interests him as much. He has already mentioned that This Was is happening so I'd expect to see that this year and maybe (hopefully!) a repack of Benefit (in the same book format) and possibly Thick As A Brick with the corrected mixes and maybe some extra material??? Wishful thinking I know! ;-)

Besides the previously mentioned upcoming releases, is there any remaining Tull stuff that is worthy of a special edition? The late 80's stuff is pretty weak IMHO. This series has far surpassed my wish list for Jethro Tull music. Now if only the Yes series can squeeze out a few more.....

Besides the previously mentioned upcoming releases, is there any remaining Tull stuff that is worthy of a special edition? The late 80's stuff is pretty weak IMHO. This series has far surpassed my wish list for Jethro Tull music. Now if only the Yes series can squeeze out a few more.....

For my tastes any and all s/b released. :D

Crest of a Knave, a 1987 release is an excellent Tull album and worthy of inclusion in a group of Tull's best IMHO. It even won a Grammy (famously beating out Metallica for best metal album). Many fans like it because it so heavily featured Barre's electric guitar work.

Broadsword and the Beast (1982) was also very popular in many parts of the world.

Catfish Rising (1991) is a favorite of mine.

The rest are pretty unremarkable.

He has already mentioned that This Was is happening so I'd expect to see that this year and maybe (hopefully!) a repack of Benefit (in the same book format) and possibly Thick As A Brick with the corrected mixes and maybe some extra material??? Wishful thinking I know! ;-)

I personally think that a "Thick as a Brick" reissue has more of a chance of happening this year (compared to a "Benefit" reissue) for several reasons. When it comes to a reissue of "Benefit" in the book packaging, one has to wonder if there's enough material to fill such a package, and at this point, I'm honestly not sure if I can say that there is.

The main priority for me will be "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses". I can wait a while for anything else… ;)

I personally think that a "Thick as a Brick" reissue has more of a chance of happening this year (compared to a "Benefit" reissue) for several reasons. When it comes to a reissue of "Benefit" in the book packaging, one has to wonder if there's enough material to fill such a package, and at this point, I'm honestly not sure if I can say that there is.

The main priority for me will be "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses". I can wait a while for anything else… ;)

I'd expect a Benefit re-issue to have the same content as the previous release (2 CD/1 DVD) just in the book format I guess, so it would probably need more info / pictures etc if that's the sort of material you mean. Stand Up is only three discs and I'd guess This Was will probably be the same. TAAB was only two discs originally so there is scope for more music material if of course it exists, there must be some out-takes or a good gig from the era. I already have the original and the corrected disc but it's also one of my favourite Tulls so anything extra musically would be very cool...

My priorities match yours, but my OCD needs a Benefit book... ;-)

I'd expect a Benefit re-issue to have the same content as the previous release (2 CD/1 DVD) just in the book format I guess, so it would probably need more info / pictures etc if that's the sort of material you mean. Stand Up is only three discs and I'd guess This Was will probably be the same. TAAB was only two discs originally so there is scope for more music material if of course it exists, there must be some out-takes or a good gig from the era. I already have the original and the corrected disc but it's also one of my favourite Tulls so anything extra musically would be very cool...

That's exactly what I meant. The number of discs doesn't necessarily matter, but there's a lot of different components that go into making the content of these books, so they definitely would have to add more book content to fill out such a "Benefit" package.
And as for your last comment, you're not the only one…I just hope our priorities match theirs… ;)

I'm totally expecting an awesome SftW set and that it will be well worth the wait...hearing that it's getting closer (even with tentative info) has got my anticipation way up there....love the album so much.....BRING IT ON! (please)

Since this one doesn't seem to be anywhere near sold out, I wouldn't be expecting a reissue any time soon?

I'll put my tuppence worth in ?... Thick as a Brick with full Dolby Atmos remix .... Ian tootling up near the ceiling ???

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

WOW .What seems to be the delay ? I mean it's rapidly coming to March end and still no pre-order for Tull ??

I suppose my Tull appetite is getting the best of me. :mad:@:

WOW .What seems to be the delay ? I mean it's rapidly coming to March end and still no pre-order for Tull ??

I suppose my Tull appetite is getting the best of me. :mad:@:

I bet they are waiting until after the release of the String Quartet album next week to officially announce the "Songs from the Wood" reissue.
The last thing they want is to compete with themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet they are waiting until after the release of the String Quartet album next week to officially announce the "Songs from the Wood" reissue.
The last thing they want is to compete with themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my String Quartets CD has shipped so I expect a SFTW announcement imminently!

Looks like Jethro Tulls Songs From The Wood are getting a makeover by Mr Wilson.
http://www.musictap.net/2016/10/28/...s-next-on-steven-wilsons-jethro-tull-remixes/

Thanks for sharing this link and to everyone for discussion this far. I'll add my name to the list of liking this album a TON and wore it out when first released here in the States (8-track for the car and LP for home). I can't wait to hear how Wilson remixes this, Ian's vocal layers and the brilliant instrumentation always take me to somewhere deep in the Woods circa 1650. But with a rock music soundtrack. I'm also interested what sort of bonuses might be unearthed especially if it might include songs that might not have made the cut or other such rarities. Or perhaps a live show remixed in 5.1 from this tour, those early 1977 shows were a Tull fans dream setlist, at least for me. The new songs from SFTW proved they belong right along side the classic Tull canon. With the 2003 remaster, we got a bonus track called "Beltane" (very nice) and the live track "Velvet Green". And as we know, the Golders Green Hippodrome show was professionally filmed and recorded for the BBC, so perhaps that will be the one...Can't wait!

Back