Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After looking through the contents, I was wondering why "Beltane" was left off the set, but from reading through this thread, it appears that it was actually recorded for the "Heavy Horses" album, so let's hope that track makes the "Heavy Horses" reissue, whenever it is released!

:)

Probably best to wait a little while to see if a TAAB re-release is forthcoming as the original one had poor mastering and was subject to a disc replacement program (for the DVD only) and the only way to tell if you have a corrected version is a small line under the text on the disc, so there's no way of telling if it's a good one until you open it...
Thanks, Simon. I definitely don't want to take a chance dropping major $$$ for the previous glitchy version. When I first heard that the newer releases were DVD DTS lossy, I wasn't too excited, but the proof is in the pudding and the 5.1 mixes on these sound incredible!

Until I can find a larger packshot, here's what I have:
a5962s.jpg

And the clouds did part, and a single golden shaft of light did fall upon my Oppo, and gliding down upon that gilded shaft was bestowed a gift so magical as to amaze the bystanders. And lo, the wood was filled with the most delightful song...

Of particular joyous tidings:

Flat Transfer of Original Quad Master-DTS/DD 4.0 Surround:

1. Songs from the Wood
2. Jack-In-The-Green
3. Velvet Green
4. The Whistler

Fortunately these are among the best tracks from the album, missing (imho) only Cup of Wonder & Hunting Girl.

This gives us TWO opportunities for my dream mix of the opening of this album, with isolated vocals in the channels for the a capella harmonies.

I am so excited for this set!

Some interesting bits on the extra track "Old Aces Die Hard":

Ian Anderson:
This includes the tracks “Old Aces Die Hard” and “Working John, Working Joe” which are being released here for the first time on any format. “Old Aces Die Hard”, a title Ian Anderson recently gave the track in a subtle nod to Motörhead’s Lemmy Kilmister, is, according to Ian “an extraordinary find, because it’s a long piece, and quite evolved, and one that sounds like it is pretty much complete – it doesn’t sound as if it was waiting for me or anyone else in the band to go back and redo vocals or guitars or whatever.”

Steven Wilson:
The set also includes what for many will be the find of the Tull reissue series so far, a very involved 9 minute track called “Old Aces Die Hard”. This song obviously had a lot of time spent on it and was found on the session reels fully overdubbed and ready for mixing, but apparently completely forgotten about! So much so that it hadn’t even been considered for previous JT archive collections.

These Tull's are such a big treat for the price.

Always lot''s of bonus material-bonus surround (+quad where possible) ,bonus liner notes (a book), bonus live material and TWO surround masters , Steven and Jakko (likely Ian and Robin 4 quad).

WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE :smokin. Keep on rockin in the surround world !

I'm stoked ! :banana:

Pre sale up at Burning Shed

https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/8641/

The price £19.99 is strangely lower than the others, even though its chock full of country goodness (as we say in England) :D

Yep it is a bit odd, although I'm not complaining! I had assumed that Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll was more expensive due to the video included but I guess this proves that theory wrong. 5 discs for £20 is an absolute steal considering what's included. My guess is that they will do a larger quantity than usual of this one as it's one of the more popular Tull albums so they must just be getting a better manufacturing price on a larger quantity. I hope the video of the gig is a good one, the set-list looks great. Order obviously placed :D

Pre-ordered from Burning Shed, £26 including shipping for this is a very good prize. I do believe this will be a slight killer in surround.

It's always tough keeping the quad a secret, sorry about that. With a new Yamaha BD-S681 the studio tracks in 5.1 are a perfect sound fit for me. Thanks to Steven Wilson for the new mixes.

Cheers all!

Back