Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have really enjoyed all the great reviews on this boxset from fellow QQ's and looks like next tuesday I will have my copy from amazon.ca to enjoy what you guys have been talking about.
Not sure if fellow Canadians have experienced the same frustrations but it seems all these preorders(from amazon.ca) do not guarantee anything but at least a 2 week delay or more after release date to receive a preordered item so makes one wonder why do a preorder.
For the Blackfield I never did get my order even though preordered 4 months in advance, thank goodness for that one I ordered from amazon.uk as well and they came through.

Thanks Dave! Yes purely baffling they still prepared ANY quad mixes after 1975 given the WEA exit status. Very Glad to have them nonetheless!

The only thing I can think of is that maybe WEA had some designs on resuming quad production, so they were still commissioning quad mixes 'just in case'.

Now that I think about it, there were actually 3 UK-only Warner CD-4 quad releases in 1976 - Absolute Elsewhere 'In Search Of Ancient Gods', Ralph McTell 'Right Side Up' and Deaf School '2nd Honeymoon'. Maybe they were the tip of a new quad iceberg that we never saw the rest of, with the Tull mixes being a part of that?

I think I've looked through nearly every issue of Billboard magazine from the quad era in the process of researching liner notes, and I don't recall any of the major labels (WEA included) making any kind of formal announcement that they were getting out of quad. Instead their releases just dwindled in frequency until there were no more. To me that says there was more of a 'wait and see' approach, rather than a 'shut it down' approach. That's especially tantalising in the case of WEA, because their mixing approach (as mentioned in the Billboard snippet I posted in the Van Morrison/Ry Cooder quad thread) was to do the quad and stereo mixes of albums during the same sessions. With shelved quad mixes of Van Morrison and others, who knows what else is in there? I'd love to have a job locating master tapes like Bill Inglot, I bet the Warner vaults (especially from the era around when they shut down quad production in mid '75) are full of fascinating things!

And somewhat related, the same year that Robin Black engineered and did a quad mix of Tull's TOTRNR in 1976 he also recorded and produced Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstacy at the same studio (Morgan Studios in London). What are the odds that there are an unreleased quad mix of that album? Maybe not guaranteed or anything close to it, but possible? Maybe!

Have really enjoyed all the great reviews on this boxset from fellow QQ's and looks like next tuesday I will have my copy from amazon.ca to enjoy what you guys have been talking about.
Not sure if fellow Canadians have experienced the same frustrations but it seems all these preorders(from amazon.ca) do not guarantee anything but at least a 2 week delay or more after release date to receive a preordered item so makes one wonder why do a preorder.
For the Blackfield I never did get my order even though preordered 4 months in advance, thank goodness for that one I ordered from amazon.uk as well and they came through.
My pre order from amazon.ca was delayed as usual. But ended up chatting with a representative and he ended up fixing the issue and also upgraded me to express shipping. Looks like it is delivered and was shipped from the US as per tracking info.

I have to wait till next Friday to listen as I am in Scotland enjoying a wee dram[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Received my box today
Played the 5.1 mix. This 5.1 mix is far more immersive than Wilsons usual Tull mixes. I'm hearing flutes pan across the rear speakers, guitars pan around the 4 speakers,making this album even more enjoyable in a very tasteful mix. Brilliant effort again to the guys from Wilson & Co !
The unreleased song 'Old Aces Die Hard' is an absolute classic!

Haven't even got to the live stuff yet but already extremely impressed with this. The love & care plus the exceptional value for money makes this an extremely satisfying purchase.

Oh....and the booklet included has exceeded the usual expectations with 96 pages of fascinating info on the album and the people involved.

Listening to the 5.1 mix on disc 1 right now. Sounds absolutely brilliant. All credit to all involved for yet another JT package!

First off, I need to congratulate Jakko for doing the impossible and syncing up the audio from a completely different performance for the first 4 songs and making it work seamlessly. Good on him for that!

However, I hate to say this, but this live surround mix does not work for me.
I don't mind the overly discrete nature of the mix so much as the issue that it's too dry!
A little bit more reverb and delay would have definitely gone a long way to making you feel a little more like you are in the room.
As the mix stands right now, it's just too unnatural for me.
I much prefer live mixes from that era like "Genesis Live at the Rainbow", "UK's Night After Night", and Steven Wilson's live surround mixes for King Crimson around the time of "Starless & Bible Black" and "Red".

The good news is that what I have heard so far on DVD 1 (in both 5.1 and 4.0) has really impressed me, but I will write more about that when I have more time to do so!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakko's mixes always seem 'dry'. Listen to the ELP 5.1 mix he did for Trilogy, very dry mix, very little reverb. he's not close to Steven Wilson's abilities by a long shot. He's a good audio engineer however it seems for video-audio sync.

Jakko's mixes always seem 'dry'. Listen to the ELP 5.1 mix he did for Trilogy, very dry mix, very little reverb. he's not close to Steven Wilson's abilities by a long shot. He's a good audio engineer however it seems for video-audio sync.
I'm guessing he'll take over Tull after Wilson is done with Stormwatch. Can only hope his skills will do justice after SW is finished so maybe he should start on 'A.'

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I'm in the US and pre-ordered through Amazon Italy thanks to SDE for snooping and finding the lowest preorder price "at the time" (20.65 Euros or $23.09 om April 9th).

Problem is, I'm going nuts waiting for it. It shipped 5/18. It seems the Floyd box came match faster from them but my anticipation might be getting the better of me.

Anyone get theirs from Amazon Italy if you went that route and live in the US? I'm checking my mailbox daily like an old Mad Magazine cartoon.

Attachments

• Where's My Tull Box.jpg
    Where's My Tull Box.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 391

I have the same problem. Mine still hasn't arrived yet. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Got my copy yesterday and now I understand what people are talking about.
Before this series started my JT listening experience was Aqualung,Warchild and TAAB.
What a wonderful album this is and I haven't even gotten to the 5.1 yet.
Thought I would try something different as usually I go straight to the 5.1 but as these JT albums are new to me I put the first cd on and listened with headphones and started reading through the booklet to get the background information from Ian and band. Thoroughly enjoying this album and I think this one might be my favorite of all the JT releases so far by time I get through everything.
Can't wait till I get to the icing on the cake(the 5.1).

Finally got my hands on the package last Tuesday and I have to say - SW has certainly done it again. This might have to be the most compelling remix in the Tull series thus far. The album as a whole sounds fuller with some enhancement in pretty much everything! Right from the moment the album begins with the acapella, you can tell the difference. While the recently discovered gem 'Old Aces Die Hard' is getting some attention right now, one of the remix highlights IMHO must go to The Whistler. Time to get to the 5.1 when the opportunity arises. ☺️

So now Heavy Horses is expected to follow. What kinda subtitle will us buyers/fans be anticipating?

The 'Thoroughbred' Edition? The 'Stable' Edition? The 'Equestrian' Edition as another person has suggested over at the Steve Hoffman Forums? Either way, I'm still having a chuckle over the suggestions lol, although I am expecting that it will arrive next year. If This Was really is being planned, then release that next year for its 50th Anniversary for sure - and maybe later this year a Readapted TAAB?! The hypothetical Benefit hardbook would be nice though. ?

and maybe later this year a Readapted TAAB?! The hypothetical Benefit hardbook would be nice though. ?

I could envision a repressing of the 2012 edition of "Thick as a Brick" on the Warner/Parlophone label (this time with the corrected stereo remix on both CD & DVD) but I can't imagine they would 'readapt' the packaging on that one since it pretty much set the standard that almost all of the Jethro Tull releases have followed since then (the one exception being "Benefit", as you pointed out.)

I'm just looking forward to "Heavy Horses" because there's not that much good stuff from Jethro Tull's catalogue after that, IMHO.

I could envision a repressing of the 2012 edition of "Thick as a Brick" on the Warner/Parlophone label (this time with the corrected stereo remix on both CD & DVD) but I can't imagine they would 'readapt' the packaging on that one since it pretty much set the standard that almost all of the Jethro Tull releases have followed since then (the one exception being "Benefit", as you pointed out.)

I'm just looking forward to "Heavy Horses" because there's not that much good stuff from Jethro Tull's catalogue after that, IMHO.
Maybe I'm being picky - but if you look at the spine for TAAB, the Chrysalis logo is at the bottom where the others including Aqualung and Stand Up - are placed at the top. Art for continuity's sake I say lol. ?

Maybe I'm being picky - but if you look at the spine for TAAB, the Chrysalis logo is at the bottom where the others including Aqualung and Stand Up - are placed at the top. Art for continuity's sake I say lol. ?

That's beyond picky if you ask me…

Back