Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also goes with saying, that the Chrysalis logo on the Benefit digipak too is at the bottom, which most certainly warrants a Benefit book in due course. :D

I'm completely fine with newer editions of both "Benefit" and "Thick as a Brick" as long as:
-The reissue team focuses the bulk of their time on "Heavy Horses" between now and when it's released
-There should also be additional material in both sets compared to what has been currently released now.

If the latter cannot happen, then why bother?

you guys are killing me

just got done with an evening of aqualung 5.1

I just placed my order with amazon for Songs from the Wood at 2:00 am Sunday morning for free Prime one-day shipping to be deilvered same day Sunday by 8PM

Don't get me started on amazon and all it's issues (I could write pages) BUT their Prime One day shipping is pretty remarkable.

Last edited:
wonder if there's an unreleased Quad mix of Thick As A Brick...

If there is, I would think they would have included it in the 2012 edition.
However, it seems they got a lot more liberal with what they included on these deluxe sets as time has gone on, so who knows?
Maybe there is something else in the vaults we are not privy to yet…

:)

Ian said there is not, he did a digital transfer of the multitrack tapes about 20 years ago with a remix in mind, but went no further.

sad news but thanks for the info.

it does seem weird that there were Quad mixes done of all those Tull albums before and after Thick As A Brick (with a few unreleased Quads in there!) and yet arguably one of their biggest ever albums slap bang in the Quad era never received the Quad treatment!

oh well, at least we have an excellent SW 5.1 mix of it :)

OK - while it's been reported that SW will likely be stopping at Stormwatch, should we mount a petition to get him to remix Broadsword too?! 'A' would be wishful thinking but I honestly cannot see him remixing that.

And 'still' speaking on the subject of Broadsword - and with re-recorded drum tracks in mind - who would you choose to play the drum tracks? This oughta be a good discussion right here - maybe a new thread to create, eh Ryan... ?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I'm completely fine with newer editions of both "Benefit" and "Thick as a Brick" as long as:
-The reissue team focuses the bulk of their time on "Heavy Horses" between now and when it's released
-There should also be additional material in both sets compared to what has been currently released now.

If the latter cannot happen, then why bother?

FWIW there is bonus material on Benefit. Not a lot but some . :D

sad news but thanks for the info.

it does seem weird that there were Quad mixes done of all those Tull albums before and after Thick As A Brick (with a few unreleased Quads in there!) and yet arguably one of their biggest ever albums slap bang in the Quad era never received the Quad treatment!

oh well, at least we have an excellent SW 5.1 mix of it :)

All good points Mc Freddio, O'Quadio.

It would seem that when they aquired the MOBILE MAISON ROUGE , it was outfitted for Quad and used for that purpose somewhat prolifically . (Minstrel , Too Old , Wood ,) War Child and Aqualung I believe were 74 recordings (Quad ) via the studio at the time , Advision (Islands label) Chrysalis shared but also Olympic which was also quad equipped btw.

Well we know that other Quad mystery Band on Chrysalis recorded in 74 and 75 two discs-----Gentle Giant :yikes So I do indeed wonder if there isn't a bit more Tull quad in the can ?
There was a pre-announcement like Minstrel that a Best of was to be issued via M.U. . Maybe, just maybe there are some, a few perhaps from that LOST album's quad endeavor . :upthumb

More QUAD TULL , makes a dull day more exciting ! Most of us would agree .

All good points Mc Freddio, O'Quadio.

It would seem that when they aquired the MOBILE MAISON ROUGE , it was outfitted for Quad and used for that purpose somewhat prolifically . (Minstrel , Too Old , Wood ,) War Child and Aqualung I believe were 74 recordings (Quad ) via the studio at the time , Advision (Islands label) Chrysalis shared but also Olympic which was also quad equipped btw.

Well we know that other Quad mystery Band on Chrysalis recorded in 74 and 75 two discs-----Gentle Giant :yikes So I do indeed wonder if there isn't a bit more Tull quad in the can ?
There was a pre-announcement like Minstrel that a Best of was to be issued via M.U. . Maybe, just maybe there are some, a few perhaps from that LOST album's quad endeavor . :upthumb

More QUAD TULL , makes a dull day more exciting ! Most of us would agree .

wasn't Aqualung a 1971 recording? if they revisited Aqualung in 1974 remixing it in Quad 3 years after its initial release, why might something similar not have been done for their album from 1972 was my question.. anyway, we've been told TAABrick wasn't mixed into Quad so that's that :)

wasn't Aqualung a 1971 recording? if they revisited Aqualung in 1974 remixing it in Quad 3 years after its initial release, why might something similar not have been done for their album from 1972 was my question.. anyway, we've been told TAABrick wasn't mixed into Quad so that's that :)

Because "Aqualung" was the biggest record Jethro Tull released, they mixed it in Quadraphonic along with "War Child" to test sales out, and when they did not meet their expectations, they never released any other Quadraphonic albums after that, although they kept mixing them just in case there was an uptick in sales, which of course there never was…

I've talked to someone involved with the Tull remix project, and every quad mix found has been released, there also have been no documents of any other quad mixes made (engineers have to show management they've been working).

It may have been mentioned but is anyone aware of the next title to receive the treatment? Apart from the cock up with TAAB, this must be the most consistent quality and best value for money collections by any artist

It may have been mentioned but is anyone aware of the next title to receive the treatment? Apart from the cock up with TAAB, this must be the most consistent quality and best value for money collections by any artist

Should be "Heavy Horses", and it would really be nice if it would come out this Fall!

I didn't think This Was was even up for consideration.
For a long time, it wasn't, seeing as it had already received a stereo remix anniversary edition from the Mewtilator. But then Ian Anderson alluded to a new edition from Wilson, complete with 5.1 (I think it's an 8-track recording like Stand Up and Benefit, so doable). Can't find the quote right now, but it's been posted here on QQ before.

For a long time, it wasn't, seeing as it had already received a stereo remix anniversary edition from the Mewtilator. But then Ian Anderson alluded to a new edition from Wilson, complete with 5.1 (I think it's an 8-track recording like Stand Up and Benefit, so doable). Can't find the quote right now, but it's been posted here on QQ before.

"This Was" is a 4-track recording, so I doubt it would lend itself well to 5.1
If they want to do it, fine, but I'd much rather them focus on "Heavy Horses", which I know will sound amazing.

Back