Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well mine showed up on monday and it's an incredible release. A little pricey but awesome nonetheless. And then another showed up today... And I can't find any evidence that I was charged twice. I think burningshed goofed...

Man, major moral dillema here. I'll have to contact them and let them know about the goof. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't... :mad:@:

I agree that you should let BurningShed know, because they always treat the customer right....now, if it were Best Buy or even Amazon (only on occasion) that would really be a dilemna ;)

Well mine showed up on monday and it's an incredible release. A little pricey but awesome nonetheless. And then another showed up today... And I can't find any evidence that I was charged twice. I think burningshed goofed...

Man, major moral dillema here. I'll have to contact them and let them know about the goof. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't... :mad:@:

Well mine showed up on monday and it's an incredible release. A little pricey....

Especially in my case. Did anyone else pay the big bucks at Best Buy. I did have a $10 rewards certificate and a $50 gift card, so that helped, but still it was really about $150.

I agree that you should let BurningShed know, because they always treat the customer right....now, if it were Best Buy or even Amazon (only on occasion) that would really be a dilemna ;)

Ha ha actually that's exactly what crossed my mind! But burningshed is just a great company. Maybe they'll even give me some credit towards some other items in the store just for being honest ;) There's still a few KC remasters I've yet to get...

I Went to Fry's tonight, no luck. Still have one on order from importCds from Oct 25th.

Anyone have order history from importCd? I had never heard of them before this forum. I have five other prerelease items ordered as well.

Any advice from those with experience?

I didn't want to wait for weeks from ImportCds so I asked them to cancel my pre-order and refund me. To their credit they did so immediately with no questions asked. I'll have it tomorrow from Amazon.ca for $106 (free shipping) + tax. It actually wasn't so much the wait that bothered me, it was the fear that they would take so long that Amazon would run out of stock and then if Import ran out I would be out of luck completely.

Soooo...it's been 4 days.

How does this package SOUND?

-very anxious to hear some reviews from the good ears here...Thx!

Soooo...it's been 4 days.

How does this package SOUND?

-very anxious to hear some reviews from the good ears here...Thx!
It has excellent results in the poll. 4 people gave it a ten rating and one gave it a nine.

I spent about 3 hours going over the music on the Bluray disc on Tuesday. I have not listened to any of the DVD or CD material. I haven't looked at the book either. I wanted to let my first impressions sit and stew a bit. There were actually a few things which surprised me.

The bottom line is that the music and sound quality is a solid 10/10.

I started my session by listening to the 24/96 quad release. Before I give an impression, some context is needed.

I've had the quad reel since it came out in the seventies. I've loved this version, and have considered it to be the best version of the album available. I own the basic retail CD and the 30th anniversary CD. I also have had a good copy (UK release) of the album on vinyl. The vinyl came closest to the dynamics on the reel, but the reel was better.

I know that the stereo mix is different. I happen to have really liked both mixes.

The quad reel cost me almost $30 back in the day. That was over 40 years ago. The tape doesn't play as well as it did back then, as it has had a fair number of passes go over the heads of my Tascam 44.

The 24/96 quad tracks sound about 5 to 10 percent better than I remember the quad reel sounded when it was new. That's a subjective evaluation based on a really sharp memory. I got the same shiver down my spine on Tuesday as I had the first time I listened to the quad reel.

I had read some of Steve Wilson's comments regarding his approach and philosophy to the remix to 5.1 from the original master tapes. He had said that he had not listened to the quad mix before he did his 5.1 mix. He had also said that he wanted to stay close to what he perceived to be the mix philosophy of the original stereo mix.

So I was expecting a real difference between the quad mix and the 5.1 mix. I also expected some somewhat better sound quality on the new mix based on today's better hardware and software.

By the way, I was surprised to see both 24/96 and DTS-MA tracks of both the quad and the 5.1 mixes. That is more than what was promised. I could not hear a definite difference between the PCM and the DTS-MA tracks. Occasionally I thought I liked the PCM better.

I was surprised by how much better the re-mastered tracks sounded than those on the quad mix. To my ears, the 5.1 mix has clearly better clarity, dynamics and imaging.

I was blown away by how much better I liked Steve Wilson's new 5.1 mix. Here are a few examples.

On the quad mix, reverb is sometimes applied like someone who puts ketchup on a fine steak. Wilson uses reverb as a spice, to add to the flavor, not to make it the main event. The new mix also uses the surround channels to add to the overall presentation of the music.

I found that Wilson put instruments behind the listener when (to my taste) it was clearly appropriate. He did not put them behind the listener simply to reinforce the notion that this was a surround mix. I'm not implying that this was done on this quad mix. But I've heard mixes from the quad era where this was obviously the case.

I still really like the quad mix of this album. I must confess that I like the 5.1 mix better.

I then spent time listening to the 24/96 stereo bonus tracks. Excellent sonics, and really great content. Again, a 10/10.

The one negative experience I had was upon opening the package. At first I could not find the box that held the CDs, DVD and Bluray discs. After I controlled my initial panic, I found them in cardboard sleeves inserted into the LP's cardboard sleeve. This is really a stupid way to handle the discs in a deluxe box set that costs this much. the digital discs deserve their own jewel boxes. So for packaging, I must rate the box at 4/10.

Now as far as value is concerned, I still must rate this set as a 10/10.

For those who bitch about high prices for these deluxe box sets, I suggest that you compare my $30 quad reel to a set that has the same quad content, better resolution 5.1 content, and added stereo content after 40+ years of inflation for less than $105 shipped to my door by Amazon. The anniversary box cost just under 4 times what the reel cost me.

In 1978 I could buy a Datsun 240Z for $2999 MSRP. Today, a Nissan 370Z starts at $31k. That's a ten-fold increase in price.

Which do you think is a better value today?

Mr. Wilson, if you are listening, I would like to pre-order Thick As A brick, A Passion Play and Songs From The Wood.

Thanks again for the great work, Steven Kastner.

I just finished listening to the BD disk and all i can say is wow ! I've been a Tull fan for a long time. Hearing all that has been hidden and compressed for years in its full glory in surround..... well i still have chills! The Bass is much clearer and louder but is tight and blows you away! Acoustic guitar parts crisp and powerful !. the packaging is fantastic I am a photographer and also work in the printing and graphics field and i can tell you they cut no corners.... just look at the binding on the book and the cheese cloth finish used ! I hope it does not end here Tull has great music for surround .. Thick as a Brick , Passion Play ... endless ! and one more thing, Steve Wilson made a 40 year old recording sound like you are in the studio with TULL !!

The quad reel had a list price of $11.98, and Tower Records priced it at $7.77 so I don't know where that $30 figure comes from.

The Reel Society was selling them for that much in the late 1970s, after the stores stopped carrying any quad reels.

I paid $30 for Zappa's Overnight Sensation, and $55 for The Allman Brothers Eat A Peach at Hillcrest Hi-Fi (across from SMU in Dallas) in December 1976. It was the only place I could find that was selling quad reels. At the time, I did not see a listing in the yellow pages for Tower Records in Dallas. I was in Dallas with my parents who were moving from Ottawa Canada. Since I was only there for a week, I didn't have time to do a lot of research for other sources. Hillcrest had about 60 quad reels available, most of which were classical and easy listening.

Steven

The blu-ray 24/96 stereo mix of Cross-Eyed Mary nearly took my breath away. Listening to the complete 5.1 blu-ray tomorrow. This entire package is simply amazing!!
Highly Recommended!! Aja & Abbey 08.30.2011.JPG

Just received my copy of this box set today from Amazon!!! Very nice package in all regards :)

Only downside is that the lp sleeve tore during shipping along one seam (seems to happen with all lps I order these days).

Look forward to listening to tomorrow night.

Back