Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What we know for sure is that Ian never liked the quad mix of AQUALUNG, and that's understandable, given the alternate takes and mixes that didn't line up with his original intent. It would be--heh--a 'godsend' to have a remix to 5.1 of this album, if only to hear what Tull's Main Man might have done if he'd been inclined, back in the day, to give it a go.

My own preferences for MC Tull, though, would be the more modest STAND UP and BENEFIT, two fine albums that mingle acoustic, electric and eclectic in wonderful and cohesive style, in a way such future work as BRICK, PASSION, TOO YOUNG and other later albums are not (interesting and often inscrutable as these can be). As for THIS WAS, well, if Mr. Anderson does put out a 5.1 AQUA, why not? LIVING IN THE PAST would be cool, too, because although it's a pastiche of studio, live, obscure, etc., it is, IMO, one of the more enjoyable albums of its type ever issued. But does he care as much as we do about such things?

ED :)

Well, I like Aqualung and what SW does with his mixes so I will be picking this up. Count on some bonus tracks/alternate takes. I will be seeing Tull live this summer so a hi rez mc Aqualung will be fine for me.
Of course, keep those new 5.1 remixes coming.........

I had the Aqualung CD4, never heard it in any other original quad format. Well, I had 2 copies I bought through the PX, I think. My daughter trashed one (and a shibata stylus) and the other was stolen. Anyone remember what year the CD4 was released?
Anyway a 5.1 release will get my saved pennies!

all their albums could be good material for surround projects. such music begs for surround placement

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=6607374&postcount=50

Steven Wilson

About the Aqualung remix, this was all done at 96K and in particular the new stereo mix is something that I'm very proud of, since the recording was not done under the best circumstances (though what's on tape is better than the original mix would suggest). Having failed to get EMI to go Blu-Ray on this (which is the high res audio format I'm moving to for a forthcoming solo record), I'm still urging them to at least do a DVDA. The problem with the major labels is that although there are genuine music lovers still in these companies, they are beholden to the accountants who run things. This was not an issue with Crimson reissues because Robert owns all the copyrights, so we could do what we wanted with them. I'm going to pursue the idea of somehow trying to make the high res formats available if the companies won't do it, but don't hold your breath - there's a lot of bureaucracy involved.

At least the success of the Crimson reissues has led a to more and more artists from this era coming to the conclusion that a sympathetic remix (by which I mean one that is super faithful to the original mix in every respect, using the same balance, EQ, stereo placement, plate reverbs..etc..), can do what no amount of remastering the original mixes can do in bringing out sonic clarity. So in terms of the model of deluxe editions with the original mix, a new stereo mix, 5.1 mix, and mixes of previously unheard out-takes found on the reels, there are more of these kind of projects on the way, though I can't say more at present. I just hope that more often that not we can incorporate a high res format into these editions. Watch this space I guess...

SW

And it's only the giving
that makes you what you are.

Steve Wilson told the SHF members that EMI will release this as a DVD-V, not DVD-A.

Yeah, nice of him to let US know. We're his freaking customers...............

i will buy this only if price tag no more than $10 out of curiosity to hear SW's new mix.
stereo when surround (quad) available is absolutely off my interests.
b.t.w. what he doing over there? i guess SH started his blog to energetically piar itself.
isn't QQ community more appropriate for SW. Jon could you invite him to join us?

i will buy this only if price tag no more than $10 out of curiosity to hear SW's new mix.
stereo when surround (quad) available is absolutely off my interests.
b.t.w. what he doing over there? i guess SH started his blog to energetically piar itself.
isn't QQ community more appropriate for SW. Jon could you invite him to join us?

He's been invited. We even have a beta test forum for his disc releases.

I won't be interested in this one in lossy only. I'm done with regular Dolby and DTS a few years now. A bit off topic but over the weekend I watched AC/DC River Plate on DVD and on BD. The 5.1 Dolby on the DVD was a mess. No detail and murky. Unlistenable. Popped the BD in and listened to the 24 bit 5.1. Absolutely. Night and day. Better bass and everything was clean and clear. Like I said, done with Dolby.

The collectors edition of "Stand Up" does have the entire concert in 24/48 5.1 DTS as well as DD. I would guess that the Aqualung release will be similar. I suppose I could justify the purchase with a Steven Wilson mix on DTS, but if it's just DD I may rethink the whole thing and at least wait for some reviews. I agree with Guy that the lossless formats make a night and day difference with clarity.

I won't be interested in this one in lossy only. I'm done with regular Dolby and DTS a few years now. A bit off topic but over the weekend I watched AC/DC River Plate on DVD and on BD. The 5.1 Dolby on the DVD was a mess. No detail and murky. Unlistenable. Popped the BD in and listened to the 24 bit 5.1. Absolutely. Night and day. Better bass and everything was clean and clear. Like I said, done with Dolby.

Totally.
DD is non directional above 15kHz at 448 kbps and 10kHz at 384kbps.
It sounds like a sack has been put over the speakers, and is unacceptable for my mind.
Never again will I buy a known DD only title.

Jethro Tull’s Anderson Still Not Satisfied With 1971 ‘Aqualung’: Interview
By James M. Clash - Jun 7, 2011 12:00 AM ET

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-still-not-satisfied-with-1971-aqualung-.html

When you discuss “Aqualung” with Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson, you quickly realize that the 63-year-old Scot is still miffed about the way the iconic 1971 album turned out.

The London recording studio the band used was a converted church that was “big, echoey, daunting and rather dark,” according to Anderson.

“It had all the ghosts of its past, and plenty of technical problems,” says the singer/flutist. “At the end of the sessions, I wasn’t sure what we’d got. It’s a bit like an old photograph; you know it’s in the camera, but you don’t know what the picture is until it’s developed. There’s the feeling you might just have a bit of black film.”

Despite Anderson’s reservations, “Aqualung” went on to become the group’s signature work, selling more than 7 million copies worldwide. In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked it 337th on its list of the best 500 albums of all time, ahead of the Doors’s “L.A. Woman” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Greetings From Asbury Park.”

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of ``Aqualung,'' the band is launching a 15-city North American tour tomorrow at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado. Longtime members Anderson and Martin Barre, the lead guitarist who joined in 1969, will be accompanied by more recent members Doane Perry (drums), David Goodier (bass) and John O’Hara (keyboards). The entire album will be played at each venue.
Remixed CD

An “Aqualung” collectors CD is also being released, in remixed form.

“It wasn’t a great sounding album,” Anderson told me recently by phone from his home in England. “A few weeks ago, I heard some of the tracks digitally remixed from the original masters by somebody with a fresh pair of ears. He kept the feeling of the original, but gave it a lot more weight, made it sound more solid and clear.”

In 1971, “Aqualung” was a big departure from mainstream pop -- and from Jethro Tull’s previous blues-oriented releases such as “Stand Up” and “Benefit.”

“Aqualung” combined elements of jazz, classical, hard rock and blues. Critics dubbed it a concept album because many songs were related thematically and musically, as in The Who’s rock opera “Tommy.” The plight of the underprivileged was explored in the songs “Aqualung,” “Cross-Eyed Mary” and “Up To Me,” while “Hymn 43” and “My God” were critical of organized religion.
Rowdy Fans

Anderson, who had scraggly shoulder-length hair in his heyday, is now bald with a neatly trimmed goatee. But he’s still very opinionated. For instance, he rejects the “concept” label for “Aqualung.”

“It’s an album of contrast, full of brave dynamic variations across the board -- from big electric guitar riffs to sensitive little acoustic guitar and vocal passages with a string quartet,” he says. “Lyrically it varies from being angry socially to whimsical, slightly surreal moments like in ‘Mother Goose.’”

Anderson has little patience with critics or rowdy fans.

“It’s particularly disheartening when I’m trying to play the intro to ‘My God’ and someone is hooting over something that is, to me, a very important part of the song,” he says. “It’s not a football match. And if that sounds a bit snobbish, then tough.”

Though Jethro Tull has sold over 50 million albums since 1968 and still performs more than 100 concerts a year, the band isn’t in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

“I’ve always thought it is primarily to celebrate American music,” Anderson says of the Hall. “There are a lot more deserving American artists who should be in before British bands. I want to see Captain Beefheart there before Jethro Tull.”

The band may not be in the Hall of Fame, but one of Anderson’s outfits is.

“A mannequin with my stage clothes is standing next to one of Rod Stewart,” he says. “I remember thinking, ‘Either we had a very bad dry cleaner or the Hall of Fame has a bad one, because the stuff looks impossibly small.’”

(James M. Clash writes on adventure for Muse, the arts and leisure section of Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.

To contact the writer on the story: James M. Clash at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at [email protected].

I couldn't agree more.

I could not disagree more...:eek: sorry but it was pain to listen to Trout Mask Replica. So after completing my first listen, never tried anything else. :(

Steve Wilson told the SHF members that EMI will release this as a DVD-V, not DVD-A.

I sent a comment to EMI Canada using their webform on the Contact Us page. I told them I was very disappointed that there would be no dvd-audio. They replied via email asking if I was misinformed because that was more information than their Product Manager had. I replied with a link to SW's posting on SHF. They replied again saying that could be legit and that the Manager will keep it in mind when details are discussed.

Might not hurt to send in your own comments.

Back