Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same thing, and I would be happy to at least offer up my copy of "Aqualung" should I win.
(I definitely don't need three versions! Especially since as of right now, the Blu-Ray is still my go-to way to listen to it.) ;)

I received my copy of Aqualung and listened to DVD One in 5.1 DTS 96/24. It's really good, best I have ever heard which isn't saying much as I only ever had the original cassette and the original RBCD. Very discrete and well balanced/mixed. Solid recording. I have Benefit also in 5.1 and that is good also.

Ok, as mentioned in the "Listening to Now (In Surround)" thread, I just finished a thorough-listen through to both the mastered and unmastered 5.1 mixes of "Aqualung" to compare and determine which one I like better, and for me, the winner is…the mastered version.

Now to explain:
The unmastered version was not as much of a revelation as I would have originally thought, by that I mean that Peter Mew's mastering changes were not as detrimental to Steven Wilson's mixing as we were all led to believe. Yes, overall it is louder, but that's not really a bad thing in this instance. It's also brighter, but again, it's actually not a bad thing in this instance. Both changes may be unnecessary (to some), but for me, the changes do not destroy the quality of the album or Steven Wilson's mixing, especially since the mastering helps to further liven up the sound of "Aqualung", which to me has always been a very 'dull' sounding album.
Plus the mastered version is lossless. 'Nuff said there…

For those who can't afford the now OOP Blu-Ray set, I honestly think the newer unmastered set will be just fine for all of you. Both versions are very listenable and enjoyable, so just get one version one way or another and enjoy it! :)

Ok, as mentioned in the "Listening to Now (In Surround)" thread, I just finished a thorough-listen through to both the mastered and unmastered 5.1 mixes of "Aqualung" to compare and determine which one I like better, and for me, the winner is…the mastered version.

Now to explain:
The unmastered version was not as much of a revelation as I would have originally thought, by that I mean that Peter Mew's mastering changes were not as detrimental to Steven Wilson's mixing as we were all led to believe. Yes, overall it is louder, but that's not really a bad thing in this instance. It's also brighter, but again, it's actually not a bad thing in this instance. Both changes may be unnecessary (to some), but for me, the changes do not destroy the quality of the album or Steven Wilson's mixing, especially since the mastering helps to further liven up the sound of "Aqualung", which to me has always been a very 'dull' sounding album.
Plus the mastered version is lossless. 'Nuff said there…

For those who can't afford the now OOP Blu-Ray set, I honestly think the newer unmastered set will be just fine for all of you. Both versions are very listenable and enjoyable, so just get one version one way or another and enjoy it! :)

I have the Blu-ray set, the "unmastered" 2-channel download and am waiting on this one.
Why I ordered it I don't really know.
In comparing the 2-channel versions I thought the "unmastered" one slightly better with a bit smoother top end but as is often the case, the Mew mastering was not the abomination that many made out.
I never thought it was even before having something to compare.
I have what I consider a nice listening room and a very nice 2-channel system.
I also think that the differences would not be that noticeable, if noticeable at all on a middle-of-the-road 2-channel or MCH system.

Always loved the 5.1 and so did all of my friends who heard it and believe me we are all well familiar with Aqualung.
I opined the same thing on SHF and of course was met with big disagreement.
That's fine.

On Steven's Facebook page, he says there are some "audio glitches" that are fixed on this new edition. Does anyone here know what those may be? Thanks -

Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Edition

Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and BluRay:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
My God glitch - At about 27:45
Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on BluRay:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

These glitches are on the new set or are those times for the BD or some earlier version?

ouch... :confused: ¿ wonders who was in charge of quality control ?

RYAN,

How are those bonus tracks in 5.1 ?:D

(The only reason I have to buy this cd/dvd book set)

-oh and of course to support "Tull"(y)

I really haven't listened to them much yet, but based on what I heard so far, I'm not sure that those three exclusive 5.1 mixes are really worth buying the whole set for if you already have the 2011 edition. But like I said, I haven't listened to them much yet. Once I do, I will report back here with an update. :)

Will this DVD version play in the older Acura system as a surround disc?

I don't think so, just cause this is a DVD-V disc, and I'm pretty certain Acuras can only play DVD-A discs.
There are ways to make a DVD-A or DTS-CD out of this DVD-V disc so that it can be played in the car.
(Just PM me if you want my tutorial…) :)

These glitches are on the new set or are those times for the BD or some earlier version?

Relax. They are on the 2011 edition, not this new 2016 edition.
Also in response to ji eff's latest comment, quality control appeared to be really poor during the last few years of EMI's existence.
There were these glitches on the 2011 "Aqualung" set, the glitches on the 2012 "Thick as a Brick" DVD, the mix-up of channels on the Ten Years After DVD, etc.

As Ryan mentioned they are from the 2011 edition - the one we all paid approx. $130 for. Here's a copy of the email I sent to EMI at the time with even more precise accounting of the errors:

Sent to EMI canada 2012-03-27:

Regarding Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Edition.

There are several instances of "clicks" on the audio tracks on the Blu-ray disc. The 5.1 mix has clicks at: 7:53; 10:43; 27:45; and 41:27. The Original stereo mix has clicks at: 24:11; 25:31; 25:41; 25:46; and 25:53. The DVD 5.1 mix also has clicks at the same times as the Blu-ray 5.1 mix except the click at 41:27 is at 41:24 on the DVD.

Are these defects being addressed? Will replacement discs be offered? I purchased this set from Amazon.ca and they suggested that I contact you.

Never got a reply.

On the other hand, they did reverse their original decision to issue a lossy format only.

As Ryan mentioned they are from the 2011 edition - the one we all paid approx. $130 for. Here's a copy of the email I sent to EMI at the time with even more precise accounting of the errors:

Sent to EMI canada 2012-03-27:

Regarding Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Edition.

There are several instances of "clicks" on the audio tracks on the Blu-ray disc. The 5.1 mix has clicks at: 7:53; 10:43; 27:45; and 41:27. The Original stereo mix has clicks at: 24:11; 25:31; 25:41; 25:46; and 25:53. The DVD 5.1 mix also has clicks at the same times as the Blu-ray 5.1 mix except the click at 41:27 is at 41:24 on the DVD.

Are these defects being addressed? Will replacement discs be offered? I purchased this set from Amazon.ca and they suggested that I contact you.

Never got a reply.

On the other hand, they did reverse their original decision to issue a lossy format only.

OMG. I'd have been pretty pissed.

A bit off topic, but...
It was interesting to read the article about recording Aqualung (originally released 3/71 UK) in the Adaptation box set. It was also interesting to find out that Led Zep was recording IV (released 11/71) at the same studio at the same time. Then it hit me that Mother Goose and Stairway to Heaven both have recorders. I wonder if one group was inspired by the other. Add to that, YES, who shared concerts which both JT and LZ, released The Yes Album (released 2/71) which contained Your Move, also with recorders. All three albums were released in 1971, therefore I hereby declare 1971 the Year of the Recorder!!! :D

A bit off topic, but...
It was interesting to read the article about recording Aqualung (originally released 3/71 UK) in the Adaptation box set. It was also interesting to find out that Led Zep was recording IV (released 11/71) at the same studio at the same time. Then it hit me that Mother Goose and Stairway to Heaven both have recorders. I wonder if one group was inspired by the other. Add to that, YES, who shared concerts which both JT and LZ, released The Yes Album (released 2/71) which contained Your Move, also with recorders. All three albums were released in 1971, therefore I hereby declare 1971 the Year of the Recorder!!! :D

If you listen to Ian Anderson's audio interview on the late 1990s reissue of "Aqualung", Tull and Zeppelin first toured together in 1969, and he said that the group (Tull) became very good friends with Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and Peter Grant (Zep's manager), but Ian also admits that he never got on with Robert Plant. Ian at the time apparently said something in an interview to the effect of "With my words and Zeppelin's music, we could have a really great band together," which didn't sit well with Plant.
As for the recorders, Ian thinks it was just a coincidence that recorders were used by both groups at the time, but it still is cool. :)

A bit off topic, but...

The recorder, yeah - I'd forgot all about that. Recorders were a hot item back then. I bought one but never learned to play it. It's probably kicking around my house somewhere.

To sum this up (didn't want it to become the "Recorder" thread), let us not forget Grace Slick's recorder part on Comin' Back to Me from Surrealistic Pillow in '67. She's even holding it on the cover.

OK. Back to Tull.

Back