Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit off topic, but...
It was interesting to read the article about recording Aqualung (originally released 3/71 UK) in the Adaptation box set. It was also interesting to find out that Led Zep was recording IV (released 11/71) at the same studio at the same time. Then it hit me that Mother Goose and Stairway to Heaven both have recorders. I wonder if one group was inspired by the other. Add to that, YES, who shared concerts which both JT and LZ, released The Yes Album (released 2/71) which contained Your Move, also with recorders. All three albums were released in 1971, therefore I hereby declare 1971 the Year of the Recorder!!! :D

And Tull toured with Gentle Giant in '71. They made extensive use of the mighty recorder!

If you listen to Ian Anderson's audio interview on the late 1990s reissue of "Aqualung", Tull and Zeppelin first toured together in 1969, and he said that the group (Tull) became very good friends with Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and Peter Grant (Zep's manager), but Ian also admits that he never got on with Robert Plant. Ian at the time apparently said something in an interview to the effect of "With my words and Zeppelin's music, we could have a really great band together," which didn't sit well with Plant.
As for the recorders, Ian thinks it was just a coincidence that recorders were used by both groups at the time, but it still is cool. :)
Ian has also "suspected" Plant for the disappearance of the old house coat he used to wear at Tull concerts.

Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Edition Deluxe Edition

Times are from the beginning of the album:

5.1 mix on both DVD and BluRay:

Cross-Eyed Mary glitch - At about 7:53
Cross-Eyed Mary - At about 10:42 the last few notes are erroneously repeated at the very end of the track
My God glitch - At about 27:45
Wind Up glitch - At about 41:27 on the Blu-ray (At about 41:24 on the DVD)

Original stereo mix on BluRay:

My God several severe glitches - Starting at about 24:23, then 25:31 and onward.

Yes, I branded the walls of Warner with this...then they welcomed me on board.

Even with all those defects the only one I still hear every time I play it is the 7:53 click on Cross-Eyed Mary (blu-ray) and yeah it bugs me. Mind you I never play the stereo mix or the dvd.

Same here, and truth be told it really doesn't bug me that much anyway, unlike those terrible glitches on the original "Thick as a Brick" DVD.
But still, they should have fixed the glitches on the original DVD & Blu-Ray discs for those of us that spent the money to get the original set.
To not do so was so disrespectful…

So I looked at the review link and it states that the 5.1 is in 24/96 LPCM.
Am I losing it? I thought it was only DTS 24/96 and DD.:confused:

So I looked at the review link and it states that the 5.1 is in 24/96 LPCM.
Am I losing it? I thought it was only DTS 24/96 and DD.:confused:

What review link are you referring to? Post the link again, please.
Meanwhile, I can definitively say that the new 2016 edition of "Aqualung" has lossy 5.1 surround audio on a DVD (DTS 24/96 and DD) while the 2011 edition does have lossless surround audio on a Blu-Ray (DTS-HD MA 24/96 and LPCM 24/96)
Both editions have lossless stereo audio at LPCM 24/96.
Hope that helps!

RYAN,

How are those bonus tracks in 5.1 ?:D

(The only reason I have to buy this cd/dvd book set)

-oh and of course to support "Tull"(y)

Ok, I just took a thorough listen to the three exclusive 5.1 bonus tracks on this new 2016 edition, and if anyone's thinking about purchasing this new 2016 edition just for those bonus tracks, I think you should probably save your money.
First off, "Just Trying to Be" is naturally not going to be a very discrete mix at all. All it consists of is guitar, John Evan's keyboard, and two vocal tracks. This is one that was better off just in stereo.
Next Up is "Wind-Up (Early Version)". Those intimately familiar with the 1970s Quad mix of "Aqualung" will recognize this recording, but it's definitely not the same surround mix. It is though a pretty lackluster first attempt at recording this song, so you're better off just sticking with the album version. Surround mix is not bad, but again, the album version is better.
So that leaves "Wond'ring Aloud, Again" as the only really good exclusive surround gem in this set. Not as great of a surround mix as anything on the album, but it's very pleasant enough.

What review link are you referring to? Post the link again, please.
Meanwhile, I can definitively say that the new 2016 edition of "Aqualung" has lossy 5.1 surround audio on a DVD (DTS 24/96 and DD) while the 2011 edition does have lossless surround audio on a Blu-Ray (DTS-HD MA 24/96 and LPCM 24/96)
Both editions have lossless stereo audio at LPCM 24/96.
Hope that helps!

JohnN linked it #686

Well Ryan, despite your thoughtful critique of the set, I still want the content from the 2nd DVD in Hi-Res stereo. I remember Thomas bringing up how those tracks were mastered last year when Aqualung was released on HDtracks but they hadn't gone any further. Anyway, I did have a feeling we were going to get a Hardbook version and glad I'll get to line it up alongside the others. :)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The recorder, yeah - I'd forgot all about that. Recorders were a hot item back then. I bought one but never learned to play it. It's probably kicking around my house somewhere.

It was mandatory to learn to play the recorder in French schools when I was there at the time. Probably because most everyone could afford the cheap plastic ones. I let you imagine a hundred kids with a basic knowledge of the instrument trying to play simultaneously and in tune. :yikes

If you listen to Ian Anderson's audio interview on the late 1990s reissue of "Aqualung", Tull and Zeppelin first toured together in 1969, and he said that the group (Tull) became very good friends with Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and Peter Grant (Zep's manager), but Ian also admits that he never got on with Robert Plant. Ian at the time apparently said something in an interview to the effect of "With my words and Zeppelin's music, we could have a really great band together," which didn't sit well with Plant.
As for the recorders, Ian thinks it was just a coincidence that recorders were used by both groups at the time, but it still is cool. :)

Recorders were also compulsory back when I was at school, and they remain a noisy tradition in English schools today!

On the Tull/Zep link I remember hearing an early 70's Tull bootleg years ago, which annoyingly I don't appear to have anymore, where Ian Anderson introduced TAAB as "A Whole Lotta Brick". He then proceeded to play the Whole Lotta Love riff (on his acoustic), before seamlessly going into the acoustic plucking that begins TAAB! Wonderful stuff.

Recorders were a mandatory Music class event even in the boonies of upstate New York as a child....I can still smell the liquid disinfectant that was used since other kids had to share the instruments! Hadn't thought about that in like...decades. Thanks for the spark.

It was mandatory to learn to play the recorder in French schools when I was there at the time. Probably because most everyone could afford the cheap plastic ones. I let you imagine a hundred kids with a basic knowledge of the instrument trying to play simultaneously and in tune. :yikes

It wasn't mandatory for me back in my NZ Primary School days, but man did the recorder keep me occupied... :)

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Back