Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relax. They are on the 2011 edition, not this new 2016 edition.
Also in response to ji eff's latest comment, quality control appeared to be really poor during the last few years of EMI's existence.
There were these glitches on the 2011 "Aqualung" set, the glitches on the 2012 "Thick as a Brick" DVD, the mix-up of channels on the Ten Years After DVD, etc.

What is the Ten Years After DVD you were referring to?

Thanks Clint. Nice carpet, is it Scotchguarded? (y)

The worse possible thing happened for me, I coughed up the money for the expensive LP/BluRay set just weeks before the new edition was announced.:violin But I still ordered it instantly. My new edition copy has been shipped from Burning Shed.

It will be great to have all the book style releases together and I eagerly await Songs From The Wood. I consider the extra $$$ spent, the price of being part of this fanatical surround sound dream. Since surround releases are still far from mainstream, I believe that every extra dollar spent
is a message to the industry that we want more!

Steven Wilson's Aqualung in particular is priceless in whatever edition purchased considering the miracle that was performed on it. On occasion I hear a song from the original CD and I cringe. What a difference.

-Edit-

It arrived in the mail today. It fits in perfectly with the others. (y)

how to capture screen

In your picture I spotted 4 copies of ELP Trilogy. What's up with that?

Hi Tex:)

You are kind to notice. Thanks!

Yes, I bought 4 copies of Trilogy. I am a YES/ELP maniac, although I try to stay cool on this forum because nobody like a raving lunatic. (y)

I bought ELP - Brain Salad Surgery in 2001(DVD-A) and I was shocked to see how expensive it later became. AND... the first two Steven Wilson ELP remixes were short printed and have sold out(I bought two each of those), so I bought extra copies of Trilogy in case it sells out as well.

YES/ELP are a religion for me so I want to have extra copies to help out a fellow pilgrim in the future, if need be.

I really do consider these ELP 5.1 releases as priceless.

P.S. Special credit if you can guess what title is in the unopened Burning Shed package on the far left of the photo.(y)

P.S. Special credit if you can guess what title is in the unopened Burning Shed package on the far left of the photo.

Tell me it's not another Trilogy!

I just received the Aqualung CD/DVD release the other day. There doesn't seem to be a poll yet so I thought I'd comment here.

The back cover of the set lists the contents of each disk. Disk 3 (DVD 1) lists the core album and 7 of 10 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 24/96. I ripped the disk to my NAS and found all 10 associated recordings had been mixed to 5.1.

They are:
Lick Your Fingers Clean
Just Trying To Be
My God (Early Version)
Wond'ring Aloud (13-12-70 version)
Wind-Up (Early Version)
Slipstream (take 2)
Up The 'Pool (Early Version)
Wond'ring Aloud, Again (Full Morgan Version)
Life is a Long Song
Up The 'Pool

I haven't listened closely yet, so I suppose its possible three are stereo and somehow they ripped to 5.1.... but that would be a first.

So did we get bonuses with the bonuses?

I just received the Aqualung CD/DVD release the other day. There doesn't seem to be a poll yet so I thought I'd comment here.

The back cover of the set lists the contents of each disk. Disk 3 (DVD 1) lists the core album and 7 of 10 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 24/96. I ripped the disk to my NAS and found all 10 associated recordings had been mixed to 5.1.

They are:
Lick Your Fingers Clean
Just Trying To Be
My God (Early Version)
Wond'ring Aloud (13-12-70 version)
Wind-Up (Early Version)
Slipstream (take 2)
Up The 'Pool (Early Version)
Wond'ring Aloud, Again (Full Morgan Version)
Life is a Long Song
Up The 'Pool

I haven't listened closely yet, so I suppose its possible three are stereo and somehow they ripped to 5.1.... but that would be a first.

So did we get bonuses with the bonuses?

Then I believe this is a first (I never really thought about it), because I'm certain that three of the ten are stereo and my decoder still says, "DTS."

Then I believe this is a first (I never really thought about it), because I'm certain that three of the ten are stereo and my decoder still says, "DTS."

Same here. Even the 6 little 5.1 speaker icons on my amp all remain lit during the stereo songs.

I ripped the 5.1 to flac. Those three files are in the 5.1 dts stream but are simply stereo. Confused the heck out of me while I was ripping them...

Are you absolutely certain that you have a replacement copy? Cause only the defective DVDs should have the three glitches while playing back the 5.1 mix.
Check your copy, and if there's a line under the information where it says "DVD SIDE" then you have the corrected copy. If it doesn't have the line, then it's the original defective copy.

As a way to follow up... Yes I am certain I have a replacement copy. Too bad I never actually replaced the copy in the slipcase like I thought I did, I found the new copy still in its paper envelope in the depths of my equipment cabinet. I did rip the defective copy. All is good now.

Thanks to Btbluray for the reminder to check it.

Last edited:
So I take it that the three stereo titles were actually mastered in 5.1 DTS with no signal in the center, surrounds or sub channels? Kinda strange.

Yep - I extracted the dts stream with dvd audio extractor, then converted to flac with eac3to. The resulting files only had the two channels.

Yep - I extracted the dts stream with dvd audio extractor, then converted to flac with eac3to. The resulting files only had the two channels.

Strange. I also extracted the dts stream with DVDAE. but then converted with foobar to flac. My resulting files are 6 channel, and I'm assuming at this point (because I haven't listened to them on a MC system yet) that all except the Front R/L will be silent.

On a side note I also thought it was cool that I could rip the complete "Life is a Long Song EP" in 24/96, title it separately in the music library, and find original cover art for it online.

P.S. Special credit if you can guess what title is in the unopened Burning Shed package on the far left of the photo.

Tell me it's not another Trilogy!

LOL, yeah that would be crazy, buying five copies. I will only be doing that for YES - Tales, when it comes out. (y)

A hint, it is a very progressive recording and it is one of Steven Wilson's finest 5.1 remixes.(it is also an extra copy of one of the discs in the photo.)

LOL, yeah that would be crazy, buying five copies. I will only be doing that for YES - Tales, when it comes out. (y)

A hint, it is a very progressive recording and it is one of Steven Wilson's finest 5.1 remixes.(it is also an extra copy of one of the discs in the photo.)

Well we know its not XTC !!

Here's my ELP collection featuring 6 copies of BSS.
ELP_collection.jpg

Back