Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is not like the rest of Tull's unique musical style, Ryan. With Abrahms and a British blues/rock genre as it goes.

but it most definetly has it's moments, and there is a possibility of some "bonus" surround material, so that's about the size of it.

Regardless which disc comes out first, you can believe I will be buying each of these quick like a bunny.:sun

"Stand Up" has not even been released yet, and I'm already seeing one or two reports online saying that the "Songs from the Wood" 40th anniversary edition could be out in time for its actual 40th anniversary, which would be in February of 2017.
At least one thing's for sure, and that is that the remixes already appear to be completely finished because we will get a little preview on Black Friday with the release of a "Ring Out Solstice Bells" 7" vinyl for Record Store Day's Black Friday event, which claims to feature two Steven Wilson remixes.
Obviously, one of those tracks should be "Ring Out Solstice Bells", but what's the other track?
Guess, we'll have to wait and find out! :)

Links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/56ss8p/rsd_black_friday_release_list/
http://exclaim.ca/music/article/record_store_days_2016_black_friday_exclusives_leak_on_reddit
http://modern-vinyl.com/2016/10/11/black-friday-list-possibly-leaks-at-reddit/
https://thefutureheart.com

The other track...Velvet Green, maybe? With distant cows lowing from the surrounds...

Here's the link to this RSD exclusive 7" vinyl release:
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8698

418457742731%3A800.jpg

And our friends at Bull Moose have this track listing and description:
Track Title
1 Ring Out, Solstice Bells (Steven Wilson Remix)
2 Christmas Song (2004 Remastered Version)
3 Another Christmas Song
4 Magic Bells (Ring Out, Solstice Bells) [Steven Wilson Remix]

40th Anniversary edition of Jethro Tull Ring Out, Solstice Bells. The new 40th anniversary tracklisting includes two Steven Wilson remixes - Solstice Bells,and a mix of the previously unreleased Magic Bells (Solstice Bells) which was produced by Mike Batt for a possible Christmas single

:)

UPDATE:

RSD's website added the same track listing and description also found on Bull Moose's website, but added this little tidbit:
"Both remixes will also appear on the forthcoming remixed Jethro Tull album Songs From The Wood in the spring of 2017."

Seriously, 2017 cannot come soon enough! "Stand Up" will be good, but "Songs from the Wood" should be even better! Better songs, better musicianship, better sonic production, and (hopefully) a better surround sound mix too! :)

"Both remixes will also appear on the forthcoming remixed Jethro Tull album Songs From The Wood in the spring of 2017."

Fantastic News!
Songs From the Wood is the Tull album I have been wanting the most. I was miffed that they went with Stand Up as the next 5.1 release, but am happy to hear that SFtW is next.
:banana:

Hunting Girl? That'll be great. However I'm compelled to say Stand Up is very much a classic album that we thought was NOT going to get the deluxe surround treatment. It's odd to me there's not as much rejoicing for that happy turn of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting Girl? That'll be great. However I'm compelled to say Stand Up is very much a classic album that we thought was NOT going to get the deluxe surround treatment. It's odd to me there's not as much rejoicing for that happy turn of events.

I agree - though I think they are all classics and I look forward to each of them equally. No preferences for me whatsoever

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm very happy about the upcoming reissue of "Stand Up", especially since we also get a surround mix of "Living in the Past" with it too!
However, the advances that Ian and the band made in terms of musicianship, song arranging, and recording technology will almost certainly mean that "Songs from the wood" will make for a better surround mix!
Plus, SFTW is a personal favorite of mine. There's not a single bad song on that album, and it was one of the last high peaks of Jethro Tull's long career. I say bring it on! :)

Let's just be happy! On a KC FB page there is some teeth gnashing about delivery of the U.K. Box set taking a long time. I reminded them that it didn't even need to exist and be grateful that it does. It's not like you don't have at least five recent King Crimson releases to absorb in the meantime!

Here's the link to this RSD exclusive 7" vinyl release:
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8698

418457742731%3A800.jpg

And our friends at Bull Moose have this track listing and description:

Man, with the talk of a This Was remix supposedly coming next year, maybe they could have given us a remix of Christmas Song too, but my guess is that Wilson hasn't begun work on it yet. :p

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Man, with the talk of a This Was remix supposedly coming next year, maybe they could have given us a remix of Christmas Song too, but my guess is that Wilson hasn't begun work on it yet. :p

Yep, I don't expect him to get around to remixing "This Was" until some next year, and frankly, they can take their sweet time getting that album remixed and reissued.
Once I have both "Stand Up" and "Songs from the Wood" in my possession, I'll have lots to enjoy until 2018 when "Heavy Horses" should be remixed and released. :)

If they mix the title track of Songs From The Wood in the same manner as the Eagles - Seven Bridges Road from Hell Freezes Over, I shall indeed be a happy clam! And Velvet Green in surround should be heaven!

I would still give just about anything to hear a Steven Wilson version of "The Broadsword and The Beast". Sadly , I know EXTREMELY unlikely.....

Steven Wilson had this to say about the EP on Facebook this morning:
On "Black Friday" Record Store Day, 25th November, Parlophone will release a Christmas themed Jethro Tull 7 inch EP featuring my new mix of Ring Out Solstice Bells, and a substantially different version of the song called Magic Bells, which was produced by Mike Batt for a potential single, but never released. These mixes were done especially for the EP, but will also form part of a complete remix project based around the Songs From the Wood album, in progress and planned for some time next year. In the meantime Stand Up is the next release in the Jethro Tull remix series, out a week before the EP on 18th November.

Steven Wilson had this to say about the EP on Facebook this morning:

"These mixes were done especially for the EP, but will also form part of a complete remix project based around the Songs From the Wood album"

So not just the album, but a remix project :D. Didn't Jakko say at some point that he was working on a live concert part for this set. This should be an (another) amazing Tull set :sun

"These mixes were done especially for the EP, but will also form part of a complete remix project based around the Songs From the Wood album"

So not just the album, but a remix project :D. Didn't Jakko say at some point that he was working on a live concert part for this set. This should be an (another) amazing Tull set :sun

Yes, I have a strong feeling that the "Songs from the Wood" set will be modeled after the "Minstrel in the Gallery" set like so:

CD1 - Album stereo remix with studio-related bonus tracks
CD2 - Remixed '77 live concert (probably the Golders Green Hippodrome show that was broadcast on the BBC Sight & Sound program)
DVD1 - Album stereo & surround remixes with studio-related bonus tracks, plus flat transfer of the original stereo mix
DVD2 - BBC Sight & Sound video program with remixed stereo & surround audio; promo videos for the album

I would definitely sign up for something like this! :)

Man, if Live at Carnegie Hall ends up on a potential future Benefit re-release in book format, Jakko may as well remix it too. ☺️

Back