Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This great news! However, I would have preferred that Wilson complete Heavy Horses before working on This Was. It just seems that SFTW and Heavy Horses belong together. SFTW, Horses, and Aqualung are the 3 best albums Tull ever did, IMO. But I'm thrilled to get any of them in surround, no matter how long the wait!

This great news! However, I would have preferred that Wilson complete Heavy Horses before working on This Was. It just seems that SFTW and Heavy Horses belong together. SFTW, Horses, and Aqualung are the 3 best albums Tull ever did, IMO. But I'm thrilled to get any of them in surround, no matter how long the wait!

Yes, I also would prefer to get "Heavy Horses" before "This Was", but it looks like "This Was" (if it is indeed reissued next year) is meant to act as a stop-gap and 2nd release for next year as they wait for "Heavy Horses" 40th anniversary year in 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I also would prefer to get "Heavy Horses" before "This Was", but it looks like "This Was" (if it is indeed reissued next year) is meant to act as a stop-gap and 2nd release for next year as they wait for "Heavy Horses" 40th anniversary year in 2018.

I too thought being that This Was will turn 50, that too oughta be released the same year as Heavy Horses. Guess something would have to fill the void next year if that were the case. TAAB re-release anybody?! I can wait for that anyway as I'd rather have Benefit in book format first.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I too thought being that This Was will turn 50, that too oughta be released the same year as Heavy Horses. Guess something would have to fill the void next year if that were the case. TAAB re-release anybody?! I can wait for that anyway as I'd rather have Benefit in book format first.

Yes, they may very well wait and release "This Was" in 2018 for its 50th anniversary, and that's fine by me. As I have said before, I'm in no rush for that one to be released.
As for a potential 2nd release next year if "This Was" is indeed released in 2018, I know lots of people (including you) are clamoring for an upright book reissue of "Benefit", but a "Thick as a Brick" reissue makes a lot more sense from a label perspective.
It's only been released with surround sound by EMI at the end of 2012 (and it's crazy expensive to buy now) so a reissue would give Warner Music the opportunity to generate some revenue from the album's popularity. (And fans won't have to fork over a lot of money for it either.) Plus, it would be a perfect opportunity to get SW's stereo mix as a flat transfer on both the CD & DVD (which has not been done before for this album.)
Finally, if they are going to release TAAB again, maybe they can find some new bonus material to add to the reissue to make it more of an enticing buy for those of us who already have it.

Yes, they may very well wait and release "This Was" in 2018 for its 50th anniversary, and that's fine by me. As I have said before, I'm in no rush for that one to be released.
As for a potential 2nd release next year if "This Was" is indeed released in 2018, I know lots of people (including you) are clamoring for an upright book reissue of "Benefit", but a "Thick as a Brick" reissue makes a lot more sense from a label perspective.
It's only been released with surround sound by EMI at the end of 2012 (and it's crazy expensive to buy now) so a reissue would give Warner Music the opportunity to generate some revenue from the album's popularity. Plus, it would be a perfect opportunity to get SW's stereo mix as a flat transfer on both the CD & DVD (which has not been done before for this album.)
Finally, if they are going to release TAAB again, maybe they can find some new bonus material to add to the reissue to make it more of an enticing buy for those of us who already have it.

Plus the album would 'benefit' (no pun intended) from a 45th Anniversary Adapted Edition as well. [emoji1]

Here's the link to this RSD exclusive 7" vinyl release:
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/8698

418457742731%3A800.jpg

And our friends at Bull Moose have this track listing and description:

:)

That would make a fantastic stocking stuffer, but only if it was made available as a surround dvd. Cool artwork btw.:D

In the meantime I will patiently await The Elevation of Stand Up.

Where the heck can you buy this thing? Bull Moose has it listed, but then it says in store only. Huh? You can't buy and them ship? What is the point of that?

First off, this release won't be out until November 25th (Black Friday 2016)
Then, it's a Record Store Day in-store exclusive, so the only stores that will carry it are independent record stores that participate in RSD.
(Of course it will be available online after the 25th via 3rd-party resellers, eBay, etc.)

Record Store Day release....you need to get it in a record store GOS.;)

LOL! Well, I've never heard of RSD until just now.... :)
And...living in a small community not near any record stores....I won't be able to get it...and I see Ryan says it will be available after that date online. Soooo, guess I'm good to go.

and I see Ryan says it will be available after that date online. Soooo, guess I'm good to go.

It will be available online after the 25th if people go in store, buy it, and then resell it online, but then again, that's what people do... ;)

It will be available online after the 25th if people go in store, buy it, and then resell it online, but then again, that's what people do... ;)

Oh! You didn't mean Amazon, Bull Moose, etc. I get it. This will NOT be offered as an online available. (unless Snood buys it, then resells it) Seems weird, but whatever.... :)

Oh! You didn't mean Amazon, Bull Moose, etc. I get it. This will NOT be offered as an online available. (unless Snood buys it, then resells it) Seems weird, but whatever.... :)

Yeah you obviously missed it originally when I said available online via 3RD PARTY RESELLERS (like eBay)

Yes, please - thank you very much Mr. Wilson! To me, the last great JT album, one that stays on from the beginning to the end. Although, I wouldn't mind if the 5.1 reissues go on...

Don't think I've heard anything from the album before.
Were there any tracks that got played on radio?

Yowza, this question is tough. It was released in 1977, so my direct memories of radio airplay are thin, and I owned the LP so my memories may be further muddled by repeated plays, BUT, you cannot go wrong with any of these tracks:

Songs from the Wood
Jack-in-the-Green
Cup of Wonder
Hunting Girl
Velvet Green
The Whistler

which are the ones that stick out most for me in the track list.

Wikipedia says "The song "The Whistler" was the only song to chart as a single in the United States, peaking at No. 59 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the spring of 1977."

I think many including the band itself consider Velvet Green to be a small masterpiece, and why it was never released as a single I cannot guess. Listen carefully to the brilliantly oblique but no less smutty lyrics of this track.

This is my #2 most desired album for surround treatment at this time, just behind Pink Floyd - Animals!

Back