Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yowza, this question is tough. It was released in 1977, so my direct memories of radio airplay are thin, and I owned the LP so my memories may be further muddled by repeated plays, BUT, you cannot go wrong with any of these tracks:

1. Songs from the Wood
2. Jack-in-the-Green
3. Cup of Wonder
4. Hunting Girl
5. Velvet Green
6. The Whistler

What I remember, as far as what got airplay in the states on album oriented rock stations, I believe #1,2,5,and 6 all did along with "Ring Out, Solstice Bells". #1 and #6 were probably the biggest 'hits".

Last edited:
Surprise-Ahead.jpg

I was at Cardiff Uni when it came out, well listened to by quite a few of us, as was Heavy Horses - and it was very much a word of mouth thing, everyone else was into punk or bands like The Boomtown Rats.

Just to add the album would have had very little air play in GB, word of mouth really.

One of only two Jethro Tull albums I purchased on Vinyl. A Must-Buy for me. This will be my first 5.1 release from the lot. Though, I have heard Aqualung which is very good. It may be time I start acquiring some of the surround releases before it's too late.

I was at Cardiff Uni when it came out, well listened to by quite a few of us, as was Heavy Horses - and it was very much a word of mouth thing, everyone else was into punk or bands like The Boomtown Rats.

From Cardiff Duncan S or just went to the UNI, Only ask because I live in The Capital.

I escaped from England (I'm originally from way North of the Border!) and went to Uni in Cardiff, I lived there for about 5 years after, great city, still go back once a year.

From Cardiff Duncan S or just went to the UNI, Only ask because I live in The Capital.

One of only two Jethro Tull albums I purchased on Vinyl. A Must-Buy for me. This will be my first 5.1 release from the lot. Though, I have heard Aqualung which is very good. It may be time I start acquiring some of the surround releases before it's too late.

Do yourself a favour and pickup as many as you can before it's too late.

Do yourself a favour and pickup as many as you can before it's too late.

agree with you on that, SW intimated one time there's only one print run for these Tull 5.1 editions.. so when they're all gone at regular retail prices direct from Amazon etc we'll be at the mercy of the aftermarket..

agree with you on that, SW intimated one time there's only one print run for these Tull 5.1 editions.. so when they're all gone at regular retail prices direct from Amazon etc we'll be at the mercy of the aftermarket..

I'm curious how many of these things they print up? Would also be curious, in the end, where they are selling the best... (country)
OK, OK. I just like numbers... :)

I escaped from England (I'm originally from way North of the Border!) and went to Uni in Cardiff, I lived there for about 5 years after, great city, still go back once a year.

Thanks for the reply the students Union in Cardiff was a great venue for music, still is.

I saw some great bands there, off the top of my head, Canned Heat, Camel, The Ramones, Renaissance, Manfred Mann's Earthband, The Cure, Slade (twice in 1 week with different sets), plus loads more.
Thanks for the reply the students Union in Cardiff was a great venue for music, still is.

I saw some great bands there, off the top of my head, Canned Heat, Camel, The Ramones, Renaissance, Manfred Mann's Earthband, The Cure, Slade (twice in 1 week with different sets), plus loads more.

I saw Renaissance there that would be around 78 79, Camel 75 76 but at the Cardiff Capitol, Greg lake about 82 83 and last but not least Motorhead in 2005, I made the mistake of standing right in front of the PA stack, it was so loud you could not separate instruments, just a wall of noise, went back as far as the bar to hear separation, but great days and some superb bands.

I saw Renaissance there that would be around 78 79, Camel 75 76 but at the Cardiff Capitol, Greg lake about 82 83 and last but not least Motorhead in 2005, I made the mistake of standing right in front of the PA stack, it was so loud you could not separate instruments, just a wall of noise, went back as far as the bar to hear separation, but great days and some superb bands.

Camel played on my 21st birthday in the Students Union, I was still hung over from the dinnertime session!

Back