Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious when the corrected versions started appearing... I bought my copy in June 2015 from Amazon - would this be a corrected version? Does it indicate so on the packaging?

There is no way of telling from the outer packaging, that's the problem. The DVD disc just has a small horizontal line under the text on the right hand side of the disc. Only the 5.1 mix is fixed on the corrected discs, the stereo mix is still the Peter Mew master I believe...

There are some nice pictures here ;)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17523-Jethro-Tull-Thick-As-A-Brick-(DTS-Dolby)(Reissue-Corrected-Discs)&highlight=tull+thick

mine came from Import Cds and also packaged terrible. Top of spine a bit crushed. Came with Beatles 2 blu ray and on a package like that they couldn't use a box? Not major enough to return, too much trouble.

Well I've found the magic number when it comes to shipping from Imports CDs. Four. That's how many copies of Stand Up I ordered and it came in a box with scrunched up paper to fill the void. No boxes were damaged!

And BTW they are not all for me - I head up a small buyers club to save on postage to the land of Oz.

So, I was sifting through my Tull purchases. I have the following:

TOO OLD TO ROCK-N-ROLL, TOO YOUNG TO DIE.
MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY
WAR CHILD
AQUALUNG (UNOPENED!!)
STAND UP
A PASSION PLAY

So, I don't have Thick As A Brick - was that a 40th Anniversay Wilson release? Either way, out of print, right?
I also noticed another I don't have. Benefit. I suppose I should go ahead and get it. I mean, it's less than $25 on Amazon.

Anything else I'm missing?
Even though you're missing/missed out on the TAAB set, I would highly recommend the HDTracks download of the album, if not to simply tide you over until a potential Readapted Edition - I do think it will happen, someday. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

So I had a Tull 5.1 listening session this morning. I played selections from the Stand Up through Minstrel albums. All of these releases are outstanding. I had never paid a lot of attention to many of the out takes and unreleased tracks, but if you haven't already done so, have a listen to Wondering Aloud Again (Full Morgan Version) on the Aqualung release. Absolutely stunning.

Other highlights of my morning:

For a Thousand Mothers
We Used to Know
Cross Eyed Mary
Hymn 43
Cold Wind to Valhalla
One White Duck/010=nothing at all
Locomotive Breath
Thick as a Brick

These releases are a treasure.

So I had a Tull 5.1 listening session this morning. I played selections from the Stand Up through Minstrel albums. All of these releases are outstanding. I had never paid a lot of attention to many of the out takes and unreleased tracks, but if you haven't already done so, have a listen to Wondering Aloud Again (Full Morgan Version) on the Aqualung release. Absolutely stunning.

Other highlights of my morning:

For a Thousand Mothers
We Used to Know
Cross Eyed Mary
Hymn 43
Cold Wind to Valhalla
One White Duck/010=nothing at all
Locomotive Breath
Thick as a Brick

These releases are a treasure.

I haven't listened to ANY of the extra material on any of the Tull releases. That's the cool part. Once things settle down, I'll have some time to check some of this stuff out.

I haven't listened to ANY of the extra material on any of the Tull releases. That's the cool part. Once things settle down, I'll have some time to check some of this stuff out.

Yeah. Don't miss this.

The original Wond'ring Aloud is a small little acoustic interlude type of song, less than 2 minutes in length that was sandwiched in between Mother Goose and Up to Me on the first side of the Aqualung album. The album also features two other short interlude type of songs like it, namely Slipstream and Cheap Day Return, that are a bit shorter in length.

And I've heard the extended Wond'ring Aloud (13/12/70 version) that is also on the Aqualung DVDV compilation, probably as an extra cut from a remastered CD or compilation back in the day, and its pretty similar to the original version from Aqualung. I think maybe there is another version I've heard over the years that has an extra verse. But this Full Morgan Version is totally new to me. It's like a whole suite of music running over 7 minutes long with the Wond'ring Aloud portion we know used as a connecting theme. There are extra verses and musical parts with lyrics that go in a whole different direction from the original.

And did I mention it sounds absolutely awesome in Steven Wilson surround sound. It was truly an eye opener for me. And I don't open my eyes over music out takes all that often anymore...;)

That would indicate 'A' is on the radar? [emoji41]

Edit: oops I had these albums swapped in terms of release. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY
WAR CHILD
AQUALUNG (UNOPENED!!)
STAND UP
A PASSION PLAY

So, I don't have Thick As A Brick - was that a 40th Anniversay Wilson release? Either way, out of print, right?
I also noticed another I don't have. Benefit. I suppose I should go ahead and get it. I mean, it's less than $25 on Amazon.

Have you tried Discogs?

MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY
WAR CHILD
AQUALUNG (UNOPENED!!)
STAND UP
A PASSION PLAY

Definitely get Benefit. It was, for me, the best positive surprise of the set. I still put it on regularly.

Rack.jpg
My Tull surround, got TaaB as well as a DTS wav file, 2nd hand examples are more than I'm willing to pay, also got my crimson there on the top shelf.

A little bit of info in Ian's 'New Year Update' on the Tull website...

"There is the forthcoming remixed and repackaged Songs From The Wood album which the backroom boys at Warner Music Group have been working on. Steven Wilson, once again, is the mastermind, master-ears and master-fingers behind the iMac, running Logic in an array of colorfully-coded tracks and segments. Amazingly, we found some unreleased material and other versions of some material so a veritable bonanza for the Tull-geeks is at hand. Whatever turns you on."

http://jethrotull.com/new-yearnew-website-update-from-ian-anderson/

A little bit of info in Ian's 'New Year Update' on the Tull website...

"There is the forthcoming remixed and repackaged Songs From The Wood album which the backroom boys at Warner Music Group have been working on. Steven Wilson, once again, is the mastermind, master-ears and master-fingers behind the iMac, running Logic in an array of colorfully-coded tracks and segments. Amazingly, we found some unreleased material and other versions of some material so a veritable bonanza for the Tull-geeks is at hand. Whatever turns you on."

http://jethrotull.com/new-yearnew-website-update-from-ian-anderson/

Awesome! Very glad to see that Ian is talking up this release!
I definitely think this will be the best remix package for Jethro Tull since "Minstrel in the Gallery".
"Songs from the Wood" is a Top 5 Jethro Tull record for me, so I cannot wait to get this in!
I'm sure if they are planning to release the remix in April/May (following the String Quartet album in March), I'm sure we'll get some more info on the set probably in the next month or so.
Can't wait!

:)

Jakko just posted this photo on his Facebook page of what he is working on at the moment:
16266017_10212202900252246_4811143701979005816_n.jpg

It's clearly a still from a Jethro Tull concert (with John Glascock and Barriemore Barlow in frame) but what show is it and what package is it for?
It may not be for the "Songs from the Wood" set but might be something for the "Heavy Horses" set, perhaps.
Ooh, this is exciting!

A further picture a few days ago from his Twitter of transferring a multitrack from 1977 to digital:
C1zTGEfWEAAfd_p.jpg:large

Plus he replies that this multitrack is definitely not for the "Songs from the Wood" reissue.

A further picture a few days ago from his Twitter of transferring a multitrack from 1977 to digital:
C1zTGEfWEAAfd_p.jpg:large

Plus he replies that this multitrack is definitely not for the "Songs from the Wood" reissue.

Well, whatever it is, there's clearly something else in this photo that will inspire Jakko to make this release go to 11! ;)

Back