Jethro Tull 5.1 ("Broadsword & The Beast" box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in September 2023!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing this link and to everyone for discussion this far. I'll add my name to the list of liking this album a TON and wore it out when first released here in the States (8-track for the car and LP for home). I can't wait to hear how Wilson remixes this, Ian's vocal layers and the brilliant instrumentation always take me to somewhere deep in the Woods circa 1650. But with a rock music soundtrack. I'm also interested what sort of bonuses might be unearthed especially if it might include songs that might not have made the cut or other such rarities. Or perhaps a live show remixed in 5.1 from this tour, those early 1977 shows were a Tull fans dream setlist, at least for me. The new songs from SFTW proved they belong right along side the classic Tull canon. With the 2003 remaster, we got a bonus track called "Beltane" (very nice) and the live track "Velvet Green". And as we know, the Golders Green Hippodrome show was professionally filmed and recorded for the BBC, so perhaps that will be the one...Can't wait!

FWIW, 'Beltane' actually appears first on the 1988 boxed set 20 Years of Jethro Tull. Despite appearing again in 2003 as a bonus track on Songs from the Wood, the 1988 liner notes claim it was recorded in 1977 for Heavy Horses, but didn't make the final cut. There are some rare 45s of 'Moths' that have 'Beltane' listed as the B-side but reportedly those labels are misprints, the B-side actually plays 'Life's a Long Song'.

FWIW, 'Beltane' actually appears first on the 1988 boxed set 20 Years of Jethro Tull. Despite appearing again in 2003 as a bonus track on Songs from the Wood, the 1988 liner notes claim it was recorded in 1977 for Heavy Horses, but didn't make the final cut. There are some rare 45s of 'Moths' that have 'Beltane' listed as the B-side but reportedly those labels are misprints, the B-side actually plays 'Life's a Long Song'.

I have moths as a 45 I shall investigate.

New to the site. Been into surround since 2003 or so. Have a smallish, but respectable collection.

Am a total Steven Wilson fanboy - both as a musician and remixer of the classics. So far I only have Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung in his JT remix series and I'm impressed with all of them - especially the 5.1 tracks. His flat transfers allow you to really crank them up to an impressive volume level without any ear fatigue. Can't wait to get the rest of the series!

New to the site. Been into surround since 2003 or so. Have a smallish, but respectable collection.

Am a total Steven Wilson fanboy - both as a musician and remixer of the classics. So far I only have Stand Up, Benefit, and Aqualung in his JT remix series and I'm impressed with all of them - especially the 5.1 tracks. His flat transfers allow you to really crank them up to an impressive volume level without any ear fatigue. Can't wait to get the rest of the series!

Welcome aboard 56Kid and yes the JT releases are super Aweeeeeeeeesome :banana:

Can't wait to get the rest of the series!

Welcome! I'd advise picking up what you can of the JT series pronto as they will sell out, I think TAAB, A Passion Play and Minstrel are already deleted but you should be able to pick up Too Old To Rock And Roll and War Child easily enough, I know Too Old isn't rated particularly highly as an album but it's certainly one of my favourites of the series so far, good luck!

Welcome! I'd advise picking up what you can of the JT series pronto as they will sell out, I think TAAB, A Passion Play and Minstrel are already deleted but you should be able to pick up Too Old To Rock And Roll and War Child easily enough, I know Too Old isn't rated particularly highly as an album but it's certainly one of my favourites of the series so far, good luck!

I'm in the process of Tull buying. Importcds has several of the Steven Wilson Tull DVD surround mixes in stock at good prices. Including Minstrel, Aqualung, Passion Play, Standup, Too Old, and War Child. :)

Unfortunately no Thick as a Brick :-(

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

I got Aqualung late last year and Standup and Benefit just last week. Will do my best to proceed and purchase the balance of available JT Wilson remixes asap. The prudent advice is much appreciated!

Artwork for the Songs From the Wood set. Mid May. Can't wait! :banana:

https://www.facebook.com/anewdaymag...753201127669/1208217812581197/?type=3&theater

And in case people don't have Facebook… ;)

17522625_1208217812581197_508893236090514401_n.jpg

And in case people have trouble reading the print, besides the entire album and bonus tracks mixed to 5.1 surround, the first DVD contains unreleased Quad mixes for "Songs from the Wood", "Jack in the Green", "Velvet Green" and "The Whistler"!

:)

JETHRO TULL - SONGS FROM THE WOOD
40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

Jethro Tull's tenth studio album set for deluxe reissue by Parlophone Records on May 19th 2017
3 CD, 2 DVD and 96 page book deluxe package
Including the original album remixed by Steven Wilson
A host of unreleased associated recordings and live tracks
DVD components featuring a live concert, HD audio and 5.1 mixes
Jethro Tull's tenth album was insipired by Ian Anderson's departure to a more rural envrionment in a transition which bore clear influence on the writing and recording process, with the band notably doffing a cap to British folklore and countryside.

Songs From The Wood is often referred to as one of the most commercially appealing Jethro Tull albums, containing elements of rock, prog and folk-rock. Although media reaction at the time divided opinion, the album has certainly developed a nostalgic rapport with fans through the years and itis perceived today as one of the band's most popular albums. Drummer Barrie Barlow comments that it sounds "Fresh, unique, great textures, interesting and dynamic!", while Martin Barre remembers that "it was a very tight band, one of the strongest line-ups Tull ever had... I think Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses [the follow up album] as a pair of albums are near the top of the tree"

The first disc of the set contains the Steven Wilson remix of the original studio album, acommpained by associated recordings. This includes the tracks "Old Acres Die Hard" and "Working John, Working Joe" which are being released here for the first time on any format. "Old Acres Die Hard", a title Ian Anderson recently gave the track in a subtle nod to Motorhead's Lemmy Kilmister, is, according to Ian "an extraordinary find, because it's a long piece, and quite evolved, and one that sounds like it is pretty much complete - it doesn't sound as if it was waiting for me or anyone else in the band to go back and redo vocals or guitars or whatever".

CDs 2 and 3 in the box form 22 track live tracks, recorded on the Songs from the Wood Tour across two dates, Boston Garden, Boston, Massachusetts, USA on 6th December 1977 and Calital Centre, Landover, Maryland, USA on 21st November 1977. These tracks have been reconstructed as a complete set and then remixed to stereo by Jakko Jakszyk and are completely unheard.

DVD 1 contains 5.1 DTS, AC3 Dolby Digital Stere Surround and 96/24 LPCM stereo versions of the original Steven Wilson remixed album along with selected associated tracks, as well as various quad mixes and flat transfers.

The final disc in the package is the video footage taken live at the Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland on 21st November 1977 mixed to 16/48 stereo LPCM and 5.1 DTS, AC3 Dolby Digital surround by Jakko Jakszyk. This footage has never been publicly seen before. The concert venue was the home for Washington Wizards basketball team, then known as Washington Bullets - so the video footage comes directly from the film that was played to the big screens in teh venue during the show and has since been seen nowhere else.

Completing the set is a beautiful 96 page book which contains extensive writing on the history of the album and how it came to be. Martin Webb reflects on the writing, reecording and touring of the album whilist Ian Anderson gives a track by track annotation of the album and associated recordings. Alongside lyrics, there's an interview with assistant engineer Trevor White, relevant photos and imagery and a full recording and touring chronology.

Vinyl, digital, and breakout standalone CD versions of the Steven Wilson remix will follow in July.

SONGS FROM THE WOOD - 40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION TRACK LISTING:

CD 1:

Stereo Steven Wilson mixes:

1. Songs From The Wood
2. Jack-In-The-Green
3. Cup of Wonder
4. Hunting Girl
5. Ring Out, Solstice Bells
6. Velvet Green
7. The Whistler
8. Pibroch (Cap in Hand)
9. Fire at Midnight

Associated recordings:

10. Old Acres Die Hard [previously unreleased]
11. Working John, Working Joe [previously unreleased]
12. Magic Bells (Ring Out, Solstice Bells)
13. Songs From The Wood (Unedited master)
14. Fire At Midnight (Unedited master) [previously unreleased]
15. One Brown Mouse (Early Version)
16. Strip Cartoon
17. The Whistler (US Stereo Single Mix)

CDs 2 & 3:

Live in Concert 1977 - Disc 1

1. Wondr'ing Aloud
2. Skating Away On the Thin Ice Of The New Day
3. Jack-In-The-Green
4. Thick as a Brick
5. Songs From The Wood
6. Instrumental
7. Drum Solo Improvisation
8. To Cry You A Song
9. A New Day Yesterday
10. Flute Solo Improvisation interpolating - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Bourée
11. Living In The Past / A New Day Yesterday (reprise)

Live in Concert 1977 - Disc 2

1. Velvet Green
2. Hunting Girl
3. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die
4. Minstrel in the Gallery
5. Cross-Eyed Mary
6. Aqualung
7. Instrumental Improvisation
8. Wind-up
9. Back Door Angels / Guitar Improvisation / Wind Up (reprise)
10. Locomotive Breath
11. Land of Hope and Glory / Improvisation / Back Door Angels (reprise)

DVD 1:

96/24 PCM Stereo (Steven Wilson Remix):

1. Songs From The Wood
2. Jack-In-The-Green
3. Cup of Wonder
4. Hunting Girl
6. Velvet Green
7. The Whistler
8. Pibroch (Cap in Hand)
9. Fire at Midnight
10. Old Acres Die Hard
11. Working John, Working Joe
13. Songs From The Wood (Unedited master)
14. Fire At Midnight (Unedited master)
15. One Brown Mouse (Early Version)
16. Strip Cartoon

DD/DTS 5.1 Surround (Steven Wilson Remix):

1. Songs From The Wood
2. Jack-In-The-Green
3. Cup of Wonder
4. Hunting Girl
6. Velvet Green
7. The Whistler
8. Pibroch (Cap in Hand)
9. Fire at Midnight
10. Old Acres Die Hard
11. Working John, Working Joe
13. One Brown Mouse (Early Version)
14. Strip Cartoon

96/24 Flat Transfer - Original Stereo Master:

1. Songs From The Wood
2. Jack-In-The-Green
3. Cup of Wonder
4. Hunting Girl
6. Velvet Green
7. The Whistler
8. Pibroch (Cap in Hand)
9. Fire at Midnight

Flat Transfer of Original Quad Master-DTS/DD 4.0 Surround:

1. Songs from the Wood
2. Jack-In-The-Green
3. Velvet Green
4. The Whistler

DVD 2:

Live at the Capital Centre, Landover, Maryland, 21st November 1977:

1. Wondr'ing Aloud
2. Skating Away On the Thin Ice Of The New Day
3. Jack-In-The-Green
4. Thick as a Brick
5. Songs From The Wood
6. Instrumental / Drum Solo Improvisation
7. To Cry You A Song
8. A New Day Yesterday
9. Flute Solo Improvisation interpolating - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Bourée
10. Living In The Past / A New Day Yesterday (reprise)
11. Second half of concert - Introduction
12. Velvet Green
13. Hunting Girl
14. Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die
15. Minstrel in the Gallery
16. Cross-Eyed Mary
17. Aqualung
18. Instrumental Improvisation
19. Wind-up
20. Back Door Angels / Guitar Improvisation / Wind Up (reprise)
21. Locomotive Breath
22. Land of Hope and Glory / Improvisation / Back Door Angels (reprise)

Beethoven's Ninth (with original audio)
The Whistler (promo footage) (mono)

96 Page Booklet:

An extensive note by Martin Webb about the writing, recording and touring of Jethro Tull's tenth studio album - Songs From The Wood.

A track by track annotation of the album and associated recordings by Ian Anderson.

Lyrics for the album and bonus tracks.

An interview with studio engineer Trevor White.

Steve Jeal explores the legends, myths and historical facts behind some of the album's songs.

A recording and touring chronology from April 1976 to December 1977.

Jakko Jakszyk describes the technical challenge of synchronising video and audio recordings of a 1977 live concert.

ESIT - oops, I pasted over the initial bit I typed that gave credit to Galeans over at SHForum for posting info from the Facebook post photo.

Also....auto buy auto buy auto buy please take my money now...:banana: :banana:

WOW IE. MC ZOWIE !!!

They actually have a QUAD MIX of Songs From The Wood , exceptionally great news,, A Must Purchase .!!! :smokin:51banana:

Oh well 4 tunes....ok...still quad good news.!!

fizz-iz-happy :mad:@:

Update: Both A Passion Play and Minstrel In The Gallery ordered from Amazon. Hopefully War Child and Too Old... can wait until May!

Fingers crossed for re-release of TAAB in the new format - love it and missed the initial surround release.

Update: Both A Passion Play and Minstrel In The Gallery ordered from Amazon. Hopefully War Child and Too Old... can wait until May!

Fingers crossed for re-release of TAAB in the new format - love it and missed the initial surround release.

Probably best to wait a little while to see if a TAAB re-release is forthcoming as the original one had poor mastering and was subject to a disc replacement program (for the DVD only) and the only way to tell if you have a corrected version is a small line under the text on the disc, so there's no way of telling if it's a good one until you open it...

This is a great album :banana:, I first heard it when my best friend at University got it. Those were the days when one friend bought an album then everyone would go round and listen, so I didn't get it until a few years later. Hearing it in 5.1 and a few original Quad mixes tracks will be fantastic, lots going on in the mix. But there will be a tinge of sadness on hearing it, my best friend died suddenly a few years ago, his girlfriend gave me all his vinyl LPs which included the copy of Songs From The Wood.

Excellent! Looks like I got my wish for a show from the era too and with video and 5.1 ;)

But, I'm confused... It says that the 2 live CD's are sourced from two different shows but the video is from one and still the full set???

Back