Warner Japan To Reissue DVDA Titles as SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etzeppy

According to a thread at SHF, Warner Japan will reissue the following five surround titles in SACD format on August 17, 2011:

[WPCR-14165] The Eagles Hotel California
[WPCR-14166] Deep Purple Machine Head
[WPCR-14167] Yes Fragile
[WPCR-14168] Chicago Chicago V
[WPCR-14169] Linda Ronstadt What's New

These will be hybrid discs, including multichannel (presumably the DVDA mix) and will cost around $40 each. I cannot find a press release but they do appear on the HMV website.

AWESOME!!! :)

Yes Fragile is a definite buy for me! I've been trying to obtain the DVD-Audio disc on eBay for quite some time now.
Wonder how it will be packaged? Probably a mini-LP sleeve.

The world is upside down if Warner is now releasing SACD titles, even if it is only in Japan at premium prices. I think all of those DVD-As are really good as are most all of the other Warner DVD-As I own.

It is very cruel, but I will not be buying anything coming from Japan after the Fukushima incident. THey even refused to accept some cars from Japan in Germany because of their high radiation level.
I'm really sorry-it's horrible and I really pity the Japanese. Besides, I always wanted to visit Japan...I guess that will not happen now....it SUCKS!
Call me whatever, but that's my point of view...

Don't remember Linda Ronstadt on dvd-a. Is one of the many "unreleased 5.1 mixes" ?

Linda R. was a legitimate release, I saw it in stores a few times back in the 2006 period but never pulled the trigger. Only of those I need is The Eagles to replace my less than legit copy. :rolleyes: john S.

Compared to ebay prices, I'll be happy to shell out $40 for a Hotel California sacd.

Strange though that with all the car DVDA players sold and in use now, they would choose the SACD format for the re-releases. Now if they would re-release those titles on DVDA format they could sell quite a few more to the auto player market.

I'm sure Fleetwood Mac Rumours will also be released at some point too. Queen "The Game" would be another welcome addition.

I'd love reissues of Aerosmith Toys in the Attic and Peter Gabriel Up too, even though these were already released on SACD and they aren't Warner's.

Wonder if ELP's Brain Salad Surgery will be among the catalog at some point as well. Already got it on SACD but it's missing the Lucky Man 5.1 that the DVD-Audio disc has.

Wow! That's amazing news! Of course, now that these are 'watermark free' without issues, they'll be easy to become a source for 'DVD-A's for the car!' :D

Breezin' and Winelight are also in the listings!

Wait- I think Warners should get behind a new format that wasn't tried for this: music only HD DVD!
Yea, there are a million of those HD dvd players out there with owners waiting for new software to play.
I bet Warners could sell a lot of them. Chris G would buy six copies, one for each of his hd players. lets start a petition....in Japanese. And they should also release seasons 2 &3 of Star trek on HD!

if this move of Warner is a testing of the potential market, then this is a bad move.

1. titles was already have been released previously in 5.1 HiRez format and not hard
to find them on internet for free.
2. SACD is pretty much exclusive format and not many households have gears for it.
i would speculate that even less of the folks would be willing to buy it now.
3. price tag $40 per title + shipping, obviously will limit amount of those whos probably
could buy it just of curiosity to find out what it is HiRez. majority of potential buyers
owns it already for years.

such marketing is ok. for small labels which are working for very limited market but it
won't works for big labels as it wouldn't even recoup to them the cost of new releases.
i guess that the reason Warner putting out stuff for which they can use already existent
and paid off masters.

Wait- I think Warners should get behind a new format that wasn't tried for this: music only HD DVD!
Yea, there are a million of those HD dvd players out there with owners waiting for new software to play.
I bet Warners could sell a lot of them. Chris G would buy six copies, one for each of his hd players. lets start a petition....in Japanese. And they should also release seasons 2 &3 of Star trek on HD!

Ha, well I am certainly not the market for $50 SACDs delivered to me from Japan. I must have purchased 10,000 discs in various formats and can't recall ever paying over $20 for any one of them. Fortunately I have almost all of the Warner/Rhino DVD-As I want including all of those listed above. If this Japan niche market series of releases will be repeats of the DVD-As, at least I won't be upset about not getting any of them. The market that will pay $50 to get these is a tiny niche within a tiny niche. The Warner DVD-As I have are great and I am sure these SACDs will be great as well. I understand why the releases must be priced at $40 so I can't criticize the price.

It's good these surround titles are coming out so folks can get great sound and beat eBay prices. At $40 though, still a bit pricey when Warner could just as easily make more DVD-Audio titles for less since they were already authored. But good news nonetheless. If enough folks are buying these Japan releases, perhaps this will lead to other moves by the record companies. Obviously, someone is buying by shear number of these releases that continue to be released.

According to a thread at SHF, Warner Japan will reissue the following five surround titles in SACD format on August 17, 2011:

[WPCR-14165] The Eagles Hotel California
[WPCR-14166] Deep Purple Machine Head
[WPCR-14167] Yes Fragile
[WPCR-14168] Chicago Chicago V
[WPCR-14169] Linda Ronstadt What's New

These will be hybrid discs, including multichannel (presumably the DVDA mix) and will cost around $40 each. I cannot find a press release but they do appear on the HMV website.

Geez....more repeats.

The only one that might tempt me is the Eagles because my DCC copy isn't MC (obviously).
The rest....I'm happy with my DVD-A's and SACD for Machine Head.

The world is upside down if Warner is now releasing SACD titles, even if it is only in Japan at premium prices. I think all of those DVD-As are really good as are most all of the other Warner DVD-As I own.

I guess Jp Universal Music's success with SHM-SACD has inspired Jp Warner Music to release these SACDs. After all, Japan is the second biggest music market in the world. And if Hong Kong Warner Music figured it can sustain sales of SACDs (with a population of less than 8 million people), why not in Japan?

warnerhybrid_sacd.jpg

tsaichinwarnerback_sacd.jpg

It is very cruel, but I will not be buying anything coming from Japan after the Fukushima incident. THey even refused to accept some cars from Japan in Germany because of their high radiation level.
I'm really sorry-it's horrible and I really pity the Japanese. Besides, I always wanted to visit Japan...I guess that will not happen now....it SUCKS!
Call me whatever, but that's my point of view...

Wow ! You are worried about the SACD being radioactive ?? That's rather interesting........

Wow ! You are worried about the SACD being radioactive ?? That's rather interesting........

That is interesting but what is even worse is having to check everything you buy to make sure it hasn't been contaminated by exposure to something that came from Japan. Would it even be necessary to check everything for exposure to something that has exposure to something coming from Japan? The grocery store stocker drove a 2011 Honda to work today. I think the risk that an SACD or SACD packaging could contain harmful levels of radiation is much less than the risk of getting out of bed today and walking outside and being exposed to radiation.

Back