Warner Japan To Reissue DVDA Titles as SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take ANY Chicago not out already! (I have CTA, 2 & 5)

America
Carly Simon's No Secrets
A proper Eric Johnson's Ah Via Musicom

and tons of Tull, Zeppelin, Yes and ELP!! (I'm a greedy bastard aren't I?) :)

DVD-A titles on SACD? Of all stupid things...

Maybe not so stupid when you figure that an Eagles DVD can cost you anywhere from $50 to $175 bux
and you'll get the SACD with the same 5.1, stereo and CD layer for 40.00.
I understand they carry the exact same tracks bonuses and all.
I have them in DVD-A but for those that don't... well... !

Well there's this thing called "the technology of the obvious":
If Neil Wilkes states, and PROVES that SACDs only have noise above 21 KHz, as opposed to DVD-A's, which actually DO have the harmonics, I would stick to the DVD-As, thank you-
Although it IS a valiant effort to release MCH SACDs in thsi day and age...

Maybe not so stupid when you figure that an Eagles DVD can cost you anywhere from $50 to $175 bux
and you'll get the SACD with the same 5.1, stereo and CD layer for 40.00.
I understand they carry the exact same tracks bonuses and all.
I have them in DVD-A but for those that don't... well... !

Yes, but why not re-release them as DVD-A or BR? Or DTS (on DVD or CD)? All of these are better than SACD, which now more than ever only feels like a marketing scam.

OK, I'll stop ranting. :)

Yes, but why not re-release them as DVD-A or BR? Or DTS (on DVD or CD)? All of these are better than SACD, which now more than ever only feels like a marketing scam.

OK, I'll stop ranting. :)

too hard to please. Don't we ask label to reissue OOP titles? Now when they are doing it (in a different format), not happy? geez...
Guess only way to please us to release all the albums in the world in 5.1 hi-res in SACD, DVD-A, Blu ray, Dts & remixed only by 4-5 surround mix experts (SW, ES etc.) :smokin

Last edited:
too hard to please. Don't we ask label to reissue OOP titles? Now when they are doing it (in a different format), not happy? geez...
Guess only way to please us to release all the albums in the world in 5.1 hi-res in SACD, DVD-A, Blu ray, Dts & remixed only by 4-5 surround mix experts (SW, ES etc.) :smokin

.....when they could just pay me. :)

What would be the best website to order something like this from? How is CDJapan?

CD Japan is a great site but as of this posting they do not have the discs listed and on
writing to them they are not even aware of them yet.
I like CD Japan because when you order stuff, even if it's moths away, they debit your account so it's
out of the way and gone.
HMV, you pre-order and it won't debit until it ships (in this case... mid August) so if you forget to keep cash in the old account.... :)
Also, CD japan's prices are slightly cheaper. No good though if they don't have the stuff!

Well I will be going to Japan in late August so I hope I can find a few copies there. In Osaka there is an independent Tower music store with a lot of inventory, thats where i found the SQ cd release of Supersession (and by coincidence a Japanese sq version of the record in a nearby used record stand).

About 6 years ago, I met Al Kooper. He said that both "Super Session" and "Child Is Father to the Man" (B,S&T w/Kooper) were mixed for 5.1 SACD. When I asked him when they would come out, he said "who knows?" Obviously, they haven't yet. There is a killer OOP US Columbia CD Gold Disc of "Child..." with lots of demos! Mine is autographed by Kooper, as are my remastered "Super Session" CD and my other Kooper CD's! I got exactly the same answer from Paul Revere when I asked him 10 years ago about the last 3 Raiders Columbia albums on CD. He said, "who knows?" The last Raiders CD came out a couple months ago on Raven Australia, and the other two last year, also on import. They have yet to be released on CD here.

Are all the remaining Tower stores in Japan independently owned?

Linda

Well I will be going to Japan in late August so I hope I can find a few copies there. In Osaka there is an independent Tower music store with a lot of inventory, thats where i found the SQ cd release of Supersession (and by coincidence a Japanese sq version of the record in a nearby used record stand).

According to a thread at SHF, Warner Japan will reissue the following five surround titles in SACD format on August 17, 2011:

[WPCR-14165] The Eagles Hotel California
[WPCR-14166] Deep Purple Machine Head
[WPCR-14167] Yes Fragile
[WPCR-14168] Chicago Chicago V
[WPCR-14169] Linda Ronstadt What's New

These will be hybrid discs, including multichannel (presumably the DVDA mix) and will cost around $40 each. I cannot find a press release but they do appear on the HMV website.

Yes - Fragile
Eagles - Hotel California
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Chicago V
Linda Ronstadt - What's New

Hey guys, just learned about the Japanese re-releases on another site. I have none of these yet, and considering the MH SACD goes for over 200 dollars these days, I'm stoked to get it for 40 bucks now. And Hotel California!! I've been ordering from HMV Japan in the past, and read on another forum that the shipping costs on CD Japan are insane. What are your experiences re. shipping costs on both sites?

Back