Warner Japan To Reissue DVDA Titles as SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, just learned about the Japanese re-releases on another site. I have none of these yet, and considering the MH SACD goes for over 200 dollars these days, I'm stoked to get it for 40 bucks now....

These are two different Machine Heads. The SACD you are talking about is from the 4 channel quad mix, and this newer one is a 5.1 mix.

These are two different Machine Heads. The SACD you are talking about is from the 4 channel quad mix, and this newer one is a 5.1 mix.

May be he does not care as long sound comes out of more than 2 speakers :smokin

The WEA Japan SACD Machine Head would be the same mix as the DVD-A. Is the CD-4 Machine Head the same mix as the EMI SQ & EMI SACD (both UK releases)? I own the EMI SQ & DVD-A. Should I have begun a new thread?

Linda
Contessa of CD-4

Hey Cupboy, I indeed wasn't aware of that. I knew the quad mix was out there, but I thought both multichannel releases so far (as in, SACD and DVD-A) had that mix. So the SACD is the quad mix, and the DVD-A is the newer 5.1 mix?

I'm sure there is a thread here that discusses the two versions, I will search when I have some more time. Since I'm not that crazy about Machine Head (it's a good album, don't get me wrong), I'll be fine with the newer 5.1 mix.

There are two seperate polls in the HiRez SACD/DVD-A polls because these are two different mixes.

We used to be able to keep up the HiRez Machine Head mixes based on format. Once this 5.1 SACD is released, it could get confusing. Does Machine Head hold the record to most multichannel releases?

Here's the little QQ Image that used to be on the old home page of the forum. I guess I need to update it! :yikes

Deep_Purple.gif

There are more titles scheduled for release on September 14:

[WPCR-14170] Donald Fagen The Nightfly
[WPCR-14171] Fleetwood Mac Rumours
[WPCR-14172] The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me
[WPCR-14173] Foreigner 4
[WPCR-14174] The Doors The Doors

Great news, Mandrake. Although they're 2-ch high res stereo, it shows that WEA is looking to new, high tech technologies/formats to increase sales. What a concept! Perhaps it gives a clue to their intentions for 2012 (Blu-Ray audio?) Pray that they incorporate new titles, both current and "evergreen."

The record companies should realize that the surround and audiophile markets are more dedicated than the rest of the music buying public. Owning killer software is as big a priority as food.

Linda

OH BOY!!! The news just keeps getting better! Another 3 titles for me to get... Now all I need is Winelight. What a great year this is.

Hey, are there bootlegs with the "Captain and me" original quadraphonic mix out there? If anybody knows anything, I would sure appreciate a PM.

There are more titles scheduled for release on September 14:

[WPCR-14170] Donald Fagen The Nightfly
[WPCR-14171] Fleetwood Mac Rumours
[WPCR-14172] The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me
[WPCR-14173] Foreigner 4

[WPCR-14174] The Doors The Doors

Good to see! Now... If the Doobies and Foreigner SACDs were to happen to have the 5.1 DVDA mixes as we're hoping, then I might would be interested in buying those as I don't yet have them. But I'm not sure if I will due to the math: (Expensive discs + My finances - The fact I'm not a huge fan of either band = Me possibly not buying). With the latter issue being most heavily weighted. Won't rule out getting it, though.

And, regardless, it's nice having these reissues made available on SACD so that folks who missed them the first time can get them (assuming they include the 5.1) at a price that, even if I did call it expensive, is still possibly lower than it would be for someone to try to acquire the original DVDA.

I guess that's the idea. Like the first batch (Eagles etc.) that will be re-released on SACD, these were all available on DVD-A before, so it's safe to assume that these, too, will feature those 5.1 mixes. Each SACD from the first batch costs 38 bucks plus shipping, so let's say if you only order one, you'll pay around 50 for it.

Foreigner, Eagles, Doobies, Fleetwood etc... Those DVD-As are all around 100 bucks used (if you get lucky, 80 on eBay). So you're saving big time. I couldn't be happier, because I want almost all of them!

Let's hope the Foreigner - 4 and Fleetwood - Rumours will have the bonus tracks from the DVD-As (especially Silver Springs from the Fleetwood Mac disc).

Hey... Side note - so Rhino belongs to Warner?

Rhino began as a record store in LA. It then began releasing records, mostly novelty stuff: Fred Blassie (Pencil Neck Geek), Wild Man Fischer, Gefilte Joe & the Fish, etc. After a couple years of novelty discs and a few rock reissues, they licensed the Monkees titles. In the ealy 80's, the Monkees were being rerun on TV. The albums rode on the coattails of the TV reruns and sold like wildfire. Rhino eventually acquired the Monkees catalog from Columbia Pictures. Rhino began licensing more rock reissues and grew exponentially. It was being pressed by Capitol back then. A few years later, Rhino was sold to WEA, who began pressing their discs.

After acquisition, Rhino evolved into the reissue arm of WEA, especially for boutique products, such as SACD. Earlier this decade, Rhino began their Handmade line for limited edition reissues marketed by internet and mail order only.

Linda
"Go to Rhino Records on Westwood Boulevard." Wild Man Fischer

I guess that's the idea. Like the first batch (Eagles etc.) that will be re-released on SACD, these were all available on DVD-A before, so it's safe to assume that these, too, will feature those 5.1 mixes. Each SACD from the first batch costs 38 bucks plus shipping, so let's say if you only order one, you'll pay around 50 for it.

Foreigner, Eagles, Doobies, Fleetwood etc... Those DVD-As are all around 100 bucks used (if you get lucky, 80 on eBay). So you're saving big time. I couldn't be happier, because I want almost all of them!

Let's hope the Foreigner - 4 and Fleetwood - Rumours will have the bonus tracks from the DVD-As (especially Silver Springs from the Fleetwood Mac disc).

Hey... Side note - so Rhino belongs to Warner?

Rhino began as a record store in LA. It then began releasing records, mostly novelty stuff: Fred Blassie (Pencil Neck Geek), Wild Man Fischer, Gefilte Joe & the Fish, etc. After a couple years of novelty discs and a few rock reissues, they licensed the Monkees titles. In the ealy 80's, the Monkees were being rerun on TV. The albums rode on the coattails of the TV reruns and sold like wildfire. Rhino eventually acquired the Monkees catalog from Columbia Pictures. Rhino began licensing more rock reissues and grew exponentially. It was being pressed by Capitol back then. A few years later, Rhino was sold to WEA, who began pressing their discs.

After acquisition, Rhino evolved into the reissue arm of WEA, especially for boutique products, such as SACD. Earlier this decade, Rhino began their Handmade line for limited edition reissues marketed by internet and mail order only.

Linda

My first Rhino title was a pre-recorded DAT tape called "Steal Dis Dat" and was priced at $2.00; it had some wonderful tracks on it from bands I've never heard from again.

I used to go to the Rhino record store, I remember all that, and when some friends began buying Monkee reissues on Rhino. The Rhino guys were smart and saw value in old catalog titles the majors just ignored.
My favorite used record store was Moby Disc when it was on Victory boulevard in Van Nuys. We would drive to the valley and buy English import lps for $4.99 and find used records sometimes for 15 cents. I once bought a Good Rats record there for a nickel. It was a great store but they sold so may promo lps I think they pissed off the industry and it hurt their business. I heard one of the original owners retired to Hawaii.
Ahhhh vinyl memories.....

Correction: make that boutique products, such as DVD-A. Rhino US hasn't released SACD's. WEA has licensed many SACD titles (2 ch) to Mofi.

I think Rhino Royale, a novelty compilation, on 2ch LP was my first Rhino purchase in 1978.

Linda
Regina of Rhino

Linda

My first Rhino title was a pre-recorded DAT tape called "Steal Dis Dat" and was priced at $2.00; it had some wonderful tracks on it from bands I've never heard from again.

Well that's probably because your DAT player ain't no longer hooked up and working, eh?!!! (I'm just joking, of course.) :yikes

Hard to believe they ever had pre-recorded DAT tapes. I guess it doesn't surprise me, but I thought maybe they were all just blanks. fwiw, My very first stereo receiver was a Pioneer and it has a menu button for "DAT", somewhat surprisingly. Well... technically, I think it was a "DAT/AUX" button (or was it a "DAT/CD", "DAT/Tape2", etc button? I forget.)

Back