Warner Japan To Reissue DVDA Titles as SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is interesting but what is even worse is having to check everything you buy to make sure it hasn't been contaminated by exposure to something that came from Japan. Would it even be necessary to check everything for exposure to something that has exposure to something coming from Japan? The grocery store stocker drove a 2011 Honda to work today. I think the risk that an SACD or SACD packaging could contain harmful levels of radiation is much less than the risk of getting out of bed today and walking outside and being exposed to radiation.

Yes, I AM paranoid about that, but as you so correctly pointed out, we are BOMBARDED every day with Radiation from phones, antennas, WIFI,, the SUN, batteries...At least here in Hispania, the Hondas are manufactured in UK (probably from Japanese parts, heheheheh)...and I still will have suhi in the future....
The human body does have a very high degree of tolerance of radiation ("don't you know we're all light? you know I read that someplace"-Andy Partridge), ...anyway, i'd bay them if they were DVD-As though, not SACDs...
ARIGATO!

While this is great news for MultiChannel fans, it would be so much more impressive if this was a US mass-release. I mean, SACD is very popular in Japan and the Far East. If it were not for those markets, SACD would have virtually disappeared. I'm sure these will be pressed in very limited numbers, so those interested should order them now rather than later.

These could end up littering the "Shocker Log" in years to come. I just ordered all of them so I can scan them and post the scans in the HiRez Poll sections. Sure hope they're real and that they sound good.

It would be sweet if Rhino Handmade would be able to sell them direct in the US!

Pity they didn't just move to bluray audio; a format more of us could use...! Oh well, maybe next time!

I can't afford the asking prices for the Brothers in Arms dualdisc, eck.

Not an exact translation from "Google Translate" below from the HMV site, but it looks like "Fragile," "Chicago 5" and "Machine Head" will have 1 bonus track each.

BTW- let's send our deep condolences to Japan and the victims of the Earthquake and Tsunami and keep them in our thoughts. This is an ongoing tragedy that will take many years for the Japanese people to overcome. Here is one place where we can help: http://www.redcross.org/

Chicago 5
SACD / CD Hybrid CD
5.1ch surround sound and stereo audio recording
CD normal, normal CD players can play as.
Bonus Track ¦ "Dialog" live version recorded in 1972

Songs
A song dedicated to Varese
Now the two are free
You go away 3
Dialog 4 (Part 1)
Dialog 5 (Part 2)
For six of the city sleep
Saturday in the Park 7
We Americans 8
9 Goodbye
We could see the future 10
Dialog 11 (1972 live) - bonus track

Fragile
SACD / CD Hybrid CD
Bonus Track "America"

Songs
Roundabout 1
Cannes and Brahms 2
3 Bridge to Heaven
Four southern sky
5% 5 in futility
6 Long Distance Runaround
The Fish 7
Mood for a Day 8
Sunrise 9
USA 10

Machine Head
SACD / CD Hybrid CD
Bonus Track ¦ "Blind Man" (Original B-side)

Hotel California
SACD / CD Hybrid CD
Songs
1 Hotel California
New Kid In Town 2
3 Life In The Fast Lane
Flowing at 4
The five-time flow (Reprise)
Implicit 6 days
You dream of the seven
Eight great love again
9 Last Resort

Pity they didn't just move to bluray audio; a format more of us could use...! Oh well, maybe next time!

I can't afford the asking prices for the Brothers in Arms dualdisc, eck.

We don't know Warner won't release these same albums and others on Blu-ray later. I hope that happens.

Not an exact translation from "Google Translate" below from the HMV site, but it looks like "Fragile," "Chicago 5" and "Machine Head" will have 1 bonus track each.

and these seems to be the bonus tracks present in the original dvd-a release, so nothing new under the sun.

I do share the concern about the selling point for these releases: after all, this has been already demonstrated by the two Rhino Qaudio releases - the Chicago disc, which was originally only on sq/q8, sold out quickly since the possible "alternative" formats were so-so; the Aretha disc, which was q8/cd4/qr, had a quality alternative possible, and sold a lot less. Being these sacds sourced from dvd-a masters, the alternative is at the same quality.

However, Japan is still very into sacd - usually only stereo - so having some new releases will excite also the people at SHF and will flock on buying these. Too bad these can't be played in the car, since the only mch-sacd car radio is discontinued by years and no new model is on the market today.

In any case, that makes "Machine Head" again the disc with the most surround releases: three different surround mixes in 8 ways!

SQ LP UK mix
CD4 LP USA mix
Q8 UK mix
Q8 USA mix
QR USA mix
SACD UK mix
DVD-A USA remix
SACD USA remix

Do i need to buy again MH? Bet on it.... :)

Nothing better than milk the cow time and again... :)

Yes but I don't plan on replacing DVD-As with something else unless I can sell the DVD-A for an amount that makes that work for me. Primarily my hope is Warner makes an effort with new music on Blu-ray, not previously released on DVD-A.

my hope is Warner makes an effort with new music on Blu-ray, not previously released on DVD-A.

that's won't happen soon. the new releases does involve prep. work which don't come free.
music industry in big declin of sales and blue ray still quite expensive for them to manufacture
mass products for pretty doubtful and not yet developed market.
in plain words - audio BD are niche withing niche and no one from big players is ready to jump
into it with big initial capital investment.

and these seems to be the bonus tracks present in the original dvd-a release, so nothing new under the sun.

I do share the concern about the selling point for these releases: after all, this has been already demonstrated by the two Rhino Qaudio releases - the Chicago disc, which was originally only on sq/q8, sold out quickly since the possible "alternative" formats were so-so; the Aretha disc, which was q8/cd4/qr, had a quality alternative possible, and sold a lot less. Being these sacds sourced from dvd-a masters, the alternative is at the same quality.

However, Japan is still very into sacd - usually only stereo - so having some new releases will excite also the people at SHF and will flock on buying these. Too bad these can't be played in the car, since the only mch-sacd car radio is discontinued by years and no new model is on the market today.

In any case, that makes "Machine Head" again the disc with the most surround releases: three different surround mixes in 8 ways!

SQ LP UK mix
CD4 LP USA mix
Q8 UK mix
Q8 USA mix
QR USA mix
SACD UK mix
DVD-A USA remix
SACD USA remix

Do i need to buy again MH? Bet on it.... :)

I suspected that the bonus tracks were already released, just goes to show how long it's been since I've listened to these. ;) Although I would say at least 80% of what I listen to is surround.

Yes, at $40 bucks a disc, even if one had the player, very doubtful you would want to play these in the car. It's not that the price of disc matters as much as that these titles go OOP and you just can't replace them again. There should be an easier way for folks to buy this as what has been mentioned, like at Rhino Handmade or whatever, as more folks would buy titles and the price could go down as more folks do. I mean, just do a couple thousand re-release of "Hotel California" DVD-Audio and see what it does here in the U.S. There are loads more players and awareness of these formats than in say, 2002.

It will be interesting to see what Warner plans to do in January 2012. Let's hope they clean out the vaults of the Quadraphonic material they have and are open to the multiple formats that they've already released in addition to any new ones, if that's their plan.

Wow! That's amazing news! Of course, now that these are 'watermark free' without issues, they'll be easy to become a source for 'DVD-A's for the car!' :D

they could still have a watermark on them..not relevant for sacd but it would be funny if you found it again after converting back to dvda

on the other hand the sacd might be free of the loudness mastering that rhino threw on the chicago 2 and 5 stuff...especially on the stereo layer.

they could still have a watermark on them..not relevant for sacd but it would be funny if you found it again after converting back to dvda

on the other hand the sacd might be free of the loudness mastering that rhino threw on the chicago 2 and 5 stuff...especially on the stereo layer.

It would bet that they don't spend a dime on remastering or even touching the files. They'll just ship them off to the pressing plant. I wonder how many they'll make, and how quickly they'll sell out. I see a lot of them being purchased for "investment"! :D

I'll be buying a couple but not as an investment. Didn't get around to buying them the first time they were around. Hopefully Warner Japan will be doing some monthly SACD reissues

I wonder if these titles were not released in Japan when they were released in the US. That would explain the Japan release. SACD will be used possibly because it took hold better there, with Sony being a japanese company.

The Quadfather

PS Incidently the Ronstadt recording was released, but it is not her typical style of singing. I doubt it was very popular with Ronstadt fans. It's kind of an old fashion kind of thing.

I like the "What's New" DVD-Audio and it also has Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra on it, so it's a good one. As Quadfather mentioned, not your usual Linda Ronstadt music one was used to. I think by the 1980's rock artists were trying to experiment with different styles and expand their range. The times changed, and changed even more later on.

Come to think of it though, I'm surprised we didn't get any Quadraphonic material mixed of Linda Ronstadt considering how popular she was in the 70s. Also, we didn't get more of her on DVD-Audio in 5.1, which is also interesting, unless there's stuff in the vaults still.

What's New (album):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_New_(Linda_Ronstadt_album))

Warner has released several two channel SACD's through Mobile Fidelity (Music Direct.) Warner has also released Tom Petty Blu-Ray Audio only discs in the US. Warner has a new owner, who is committed to new hi-res audio titles next year. My guess is that they will re-release these SACD and DVD-A titles on hi-res (Blu-Ray?) next year. For now, it's just another profit center for the depressed record industry.

Otto & Chris Gerhard mentioned $40-$50 discs. I have payed $60 for Japanese 2-ch single-layer SHM SACD's of Aja, Who's Next, Blind Faith and Wheels of Fire. Sadly, I have CD pressings of all four that sound better! My original German Polydor CD of Who's Next is still the best pressing.

Linda

I already have these on DVD-A except Machine Head which is an SACD. Who knows... maybe I'll order the Chicago, Yes & Eagles and off my DVD-A's. I only have one DVD-A player but every DVD player in my house plays SACDs, including my Blu-Ray player.
If my DVD-A goes and the disc doesn't at least have a DTS track... it would pay me to get the SACD. However, the Eagles & Yes do have DTS. I dunnow... they'd have saved me less trouble by releasing stuff not already out.

I have all of these on DVD-A (apart from Machine Head which I have on SACD) (y)

Any rumours about any future Warner (re) releases???

Titles I have in my bucket list are:
  • Chicago - CHICAGO (II)
  • Alice Cooper -Billion Dollar Babies

• Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
  • America - Homecoming (I only have a copy of this)
Let's hope some more get re-issued!!

Back