Warner Japan To Reissue DVDA Titles as SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Rhino title was a pre-recorded DAT tape called "Steal Dis Dat" and was priced at $2.00; it had some wonderful tracks on it from bands I've never heard from again.

Ryko, Not Rhino. $2? I must have overpaid. Here's mine...

Attachments

• steal_dis_dat_pic1.jpg
    steal_dis_dat_pic1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 382
Thanks for the correction - the company names are so close, no wonder I got them confused. The tape was at the check out counter at Page One Newsstand with the 2 dollar price, so I never knew if that was it's real price or if it was a markdown. The tape is still around here somewhere, along with about 12 prerecorded tapes from Sony that I got free when I bought my DTC-700. Among them was "Thriller", "Off The Wall" and "The Nylon Curtain" - "The Nylon Curtain" was the very first CD I ever purchased, back in early spring of 1983 - and for almost $30 bucks. It has a bubble in the plastic, at the end of the 2nd song - so my first CD was defective. I've never replaced the CD because I didn't care for the song.

I always thought pre-recorded DAT's would start showing up at the record stores, especially when Sony introduced the fast 'wide-mode' Sprinter DAT duplicator - but other than those demo's, which I later found out were all recorded in real-time, nothing was released. I think Japan saw some releases, especially classical.

Albuquerque always had a good selection of pre-recorded MiniDisc's at places like Hastings and Media Play. I was surprised how poor a showing Philips DCC format made - especially because EVERY cassette duplicator was retrofitted to turn out hundreds and thousands of pre-recorded DCC tapes. DCC seemed like a "done deal" that would be forced down our throats by sheer numbers of releases. But all I ever saw was a small selection, maybe 40 titles in all, at the launch of the format - the titles were never added to or restocked and soon were gone. Pre-recorded MD's were always getting new titles and being restocked. I never bought a DCC deck - now I wish I had one, just for the fun of it - I have one pre-recorded tape of REM's Automatic For The People, but it's a CES demo that says "For Display Purposes Only Not To Final Specification" so I wonder if it would play at all on a DCC deck?

I remember going to buy a DCC deck, and the sales guy said the current machines would not play "regular" cassettes! That was a stopper for me. I never bought one. I remember him saying that future models would be compatible.

I don't even remember if this was true.

Well that's probably because your DAT player ain't no longer hooked up and working, eh?!!! (I'm just joking, of course.) :yikes

Hard to believe they ever had pre-recorded DAT tapes. I guess it doesn't surprise me, but I thought maybe they were all just blanks. fwiw, My very first stereo receiver was a Pioneer and it has a menu button for "DAT", somewhat surprisingly. Well... technically, I think it was a "DAT/AUX" button (or was it a "DAT/CD", "DAT/Tape2", etc button? I forget.)

Luckily, my Sony DTC-700 still works perfectly - I had to replace the little rubber loading belt that controls the door, but that's the only thing I've ever done to it besides a very occasional head cleaning and periodic blast of compressed air inside to clean out the transport. The DTS-700 was a great deck and Sony did a wonderful job in its design. It's just too bad that DAT didn't have text capability built-in from the very beginning. I got absolutely hooked on MiniDisc once it came out though. When DTS was designing the DTS-6 theatrical digital sound system, they originally used DAT tapes but found that the format became too unreliable after about 200 passes, especially in a hot projection booth. They also experimented with the MiniDisc format but the APT-X100 compression format couldn't fit the required 5 channels onto a single MiniDisc - multiple interlocked MD's were tried, but it was felt that was just another area to go wrong during a show. It's too bad Strong Ballantyne's DLS-6 LaserDisc-based digital sound system never got off the ground - it allowed 3 hours of uncompressed 6-channel audio per LD side and was synced via time-code to the film just like DTS.

As I mentioned in a prior post, Sony made a high-speed (200x) DAT duplicator called "Sprinter" that used the "wide-mode" - Wide-Mode DAT tapes were standard chromium dioxide (compact cassette) tape and not the Metal Particle of Metal Evaporated tape of blank DAT's, and the tracks were about 10% wider than a DAT recorded at normal speed. They were played back at a slightly higher speed too, offsetting some of the signal output loss of the Chromium Dioxide tape - and the wider tracks also allowed more signal on the tape. The standard Chromium tape also allowed the cost of the blank to be lower so that they could be sold at prices in line with CD's - I believe Sony was aiming for $13.95 retail.
Wide-mode playback was required of every DAT deck since it was to be the mode for all pre-recorded DAT's, but only high-speed industrial duplicators could record tapes in that mode.

Pioneer showed a 4-channel DAT deck at a CES one year, and the next year the same deck had been converted from 4-channel to 96 kHz sampling and 18-bit recording. The DAT format had about quadruple the subcode data capacity as compared to the CD, so all kinds of cool things could have been done with it, had DAT been successful as a consumer product. A Korean company made a camcorder that used DAT tapes and recorded the audio as a delta-modulated digital signal in the subcode area. Video or Video Review did an initial test of the prototype and really liked it - I simply couldn't imagine a video recorder with tapes the size of DAT's - 8mm Video to me was incredibly small as it was - and recorded 24 hours of PCM audio on a single tape - I had Sony's home Hi-8 deck with the multi-PCM capability and loved archiving radio to 8mm. Getting 24 hours on a single tape was amazing. Of course, the fidelity wasn't even as good as DAT's 32 kHz sample mode because it was a 32 kHz sampled 10 bit PCM recording that was compressed with Beta Hi-Fi's analog noise reduction system and re-quantized to 8-bit and recorded on the 8mm tape. Most of the pre-recorded 8mm tapes released though used the PCM stereo tracks - and later, when Canon adapted 8mm's mono FM audio to stereo (using a sum-difference system not unlike CD-4), pre-recorded 8mm tapes began to carry both PCM stereo and FM stereo - and the FM stereo sounded better - it had a wider frequency response that more than made up for its slightly lower dynamic range. The few pre-recorded Hi-8 tapes that were released by Paramount were STUNNING. If you didn't look too closely at color resolution, you could easily mistake them for a LaserDisc playing. Paramount's Super VHS release of "Temple Of Doom" was another stunner and showed how much there was to gain by not mixing the chroma and luma in the NTSC format. While several hundred pre-recorded Hi-8 tapes got released, I don't think more than a handful of Super VHS tapes were made.

What many people don't know is once Super Beta came out, Sony made duplicator decks that used a 'quasi-Super Beta" recording format - it kicked the carrier up just a bit, maybe adding 20 extra lines, but greatly increasing sharpness and totally offsetting the luma resolution lost by the Beta Hi-Fi process - so after Super Beta decks became available, all the pre-recorded Beta tapes were in the improved format - all the major duplicating companies switched to Sony's new recorders. Sony kept the carrier shift below the Super Beta standard to ensure compatibility with older non Super Beta and Beta Hi-Fi decks. I don't believe any pre-recorded ED-Beta tapes were ever released - at least not here in America, but I could be wrong. ED-Beta was such a dog of a format anyway - why spend the money on movies with 500 lines of resolution but only 30 lines of color? Especially when Pioneer and Kuraray were improving LaserDisc by leaps and bounds at that time.

Cool stuff!

And I don't suppose any of the DAT decks had an optical/coaxial digital output? What I mean is... Seeing as how DTS tried using DAT tapes for the movie theater's surround sound, if I understood you correctly, it makes me wonder if someone could theoretically have transferred---using a home DAT recorder/player---a CD of one of those DTS-encoded "5.1 Music Discs" to DAT and have it play back the 5.1 correctly? Hmmm... or would a typical home DAT recorder have been too inaccurate; thus, one of those professional, high-speed industrial duplicators would perhaps be needed, instead?

Granted, there'd be no point to it nowadays with CD Recorders and modern digital music files stored computer hard drives. It was just a curious thought.

Cool stuff!

And I don't suppose any of the DAT decks had an optical/coaxial digital output? What I mean is... Seeing as how DTS tried using DAT tapes for the movie theater's surround sound, if I understood you correctly, it makes me wonder if someone could theoretically have transferred---using a home DAT recorder/player---a CD of one of those DTS-encoded "5.1 Music Discs" to DAT and have it play back the 5.1 correctly? Hmmm... or would a typical home DAT recorder have been too inaccurate; thus, one of those professional, high-speed industrial duplicators would perhaps be needed, instead?

Granted, there'd be no point to it nowadays with CD Recorders and modern digital music files stored computer hard drives. It was just a curious thought.

The theatrical DTS-6 disc was a CD-ROM that contained a DOS EXE file that told the player how to play the disc and an APT-X100 file that contained all 5 channels in a propritary compressed format. (theatrical DTS has only 5 channels - the LFE sub is derived from the surround channels by a low-pass filter, unlike SDDS and Dolby where LFE is an actual discrete track). And since the DTS theatrical system's compression was completely different than the Coherent Acoustics home system - they share no similarities - there wouldn't be a way to decode the file.

The DTS Digital Surround home system was an entirely different story - it copies and plays perfectly from DAT. I used to make compilation DAT tapes of my DTS CD's so I could have 3 hours of 5.1 channel music (on a 180 minute DAT tape). A DTS "Music Disc" is simply a disc that has had the Coherent Acoustics data reformatted to "look" like a standard CD's data so any player can play it and transport it to the DTS decoder. But, they are not technically "Compact Disc Digital Audio" discs and Philips wouldn't let them carry the CD logo at first - same with DTS LaserDisc's - since they didn't conform to established format specs.

Has anyone else had any trouble ordering from HMV Japan? I have all of the info in but it won't let me complete the order? I've never had this trouble with any other site. I emailed them but they are no help. Of course there is no phone # to straighten things out.
Frustrating. :howl

BTW; Shipping to the US for 1 disc is $14.84 (ouch)

Has anyone else had any trouble ordering from HMV Japan? I have all of the info in but it won't let me complete the order? I've never had this trouble with any other site. I emailed them but they are no help. Of course there is no phone # to straighten things out.

why do you not place your order with amazon.com if you're so dead to buy this SACDs?

Yes - Fragile

Eagles - Hotel California
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Chicago V
Linda Ronstadt - What's New

I've had nothing but a great experience with HMV Japan every time. It was a bit difficult trying to set-up an account at first though, because you have to click on the right thing. And even then that might not work. If you have not ordered from them before, it's been a while here, but you click on "English" (sometimes one needs to clear cookies and start over) and create an account. Everything will be in English including your account. You even earn discount points for your orders. Now shipping is a bit much, but I believe it's insured? and one needs to order multiple discs in order to make it more cost effective. Another thing is checking the Yen to Dollar exchange rate as that can effect the overall price depending on which day one orders.

The Amazon links from Otto looks good, with the free U.S. shipping. Thanks Otto for the links!

I tried ordering the two Tomita discs last week from HMV Japan. Everything went fine until I entered credit number. I could not get past this stage even after multiple tries. I gave up. Will try Amazon this week.
Phil.

I tried ordering the two Tomita discs last week from HMV Japan. Everything went fine until I entered credit number. I could not get past this stage even after multiple tries. I gave up. Will try Amazon this week.
Phil.

That's right where I got stuck. I finally just said screw it and went elsewhere.

I put in 3 orders with them on 7/1 and one order on 7/4 and had no problem with the credit card. All it wants is name on card, card number and expire date.

Phil.

You can also try CD Japan. They have the SACDs from Universal, Warner, etc. available and they offer a more english-friendly web site than HMV Japan.
See http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-14165 for example.

There are more titles scheduled for release on September 14:

[WPCR-14170] Donald Fagen The Nightfly
[WPCR-14171] Fleetwood Mac Rumours
[WPCR-14172] The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me
[WPCR-14173] Foreigner 4
[WPCR-14174] The Doors The Doors
Can you please show the link where it is mentioned these above will be in 5.1? CD Japan does not indicate 5.1 mix

This is all fantastic news, but I really wish they'd come out with something new. Thriller in 5.1 maybe? Hopefully though, this will rope in some new blood into the world of surround.

This is all fantastic news, but I really wish they'd come out with something new. Thriller in 5.1 maybe? Hopefully though, this will rope in some new blood into the world of surround.

This is the key. Releasing old DVD-A material on SACD is only something that the SACD fanboys can gloat about. The real meat would be if the unreleased titles got released on SACD. Now, THAT, would be amazingly great.

This is the key. Releasing old DVD-A material on SACD is only something that the SACD fanboys can gloat about. The real meat would be if the unreleased titles got released on SACD. Now, THAT, would be amazingly great.

Well, we have to start somewhere. First we had the Universal SHM-SACD discs coming out with copies of the master tapes. Now we see the latest Rolling Stones SHM-SACDs using the master tapes from the Stones themselves! That's progress in my book.

As for Warner Japan, we're progressing from the olden days where WEA used to deny that SACD releases were even coming from Warner! The Doors Surround Sound SACD from their set is interesting. If these sell, as the Universal SACDs apparently have been, who knows what's down the road....

Back