Warner Japan To Reissue DVDA Titles as SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who knows what's down the road....
i guess, not really too much you'll see down the road. with such price tag they charge for
SHM-SACD+very limited amount of households with players to make use of SACD+quite obsolete titles
which mostly appear to fan-base which have been greatly reduced over the years due to many factors
- this is road to nowhere.
most likely all of this prints are limited and nothing else but desperate attempt to sustain itself for some time.
i even think that the main reason why WEA went to press it in Japan.
today japanese stuff are greatly over rated and many are redy to pay extra 20 to 30 bucks just to have print
on the paper and on disc "made in Japan".
changes can happen only on condition of reaching much younger generation which always have been main
market for music industry.

The titles keep coming from Universal. They have SHM-SACDs scheduled through September.
With Warner Japan, there's an August set of Surround SACDs and now a September set as well.

More listening ahead !

unfortunately all those are stereo only.
it looks like they exhausted "remaster" trick with regular CDs and now moved on to new one SHM trick.
anyone still have enough room for an extra shelves?
just keep in mind, after initial batch of "original master mix" on SHM would be batch of "remaster of original master mix" on SHM
and so on :)

it looks like they exhausted "remaster" trick with regular CDs and now moved on to new one SHM trick.
just keep in mind, after initial batch of "original master mix" on SHM would be batch of "remaster of original master mix" on SHM
Do you mean titles from September - are stereo only?

Please see this link: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/4152267
If make translation of HMV review it is written there are 5.1 mix.

Do you mean titles from September - are stereo only?

The Warner Japan titles are in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound.

The Universal SHM-SACDs which are in SACD Stereo. But some of these are straight from the original master tapes.
Some excellent listening if you pick up the SACDs by the Rolling Stones and The Who. Thumbs up !

I bought seven SHM-SACD titles, including Who's Next. All but Dire Straits and John Barleycorn sound worse than the CD's I own. The others are Blind Faith, Aja, & Wheels of Fire. Gasoline Alley is my first ever copy. The best sounding Who's Next I've heard is a German import I've owned for nearly 30 years: Polydor 813651-2. It beats the original MCA, the 2-disc expanded MCA and the SHM-SACD hands down.

Linda
Behind Blue Eyes

The Warner Japan titles are in 5.1 SACD Surround Sound.

The Universal SHM-SACDs which are in SACD Stereo. But some of these are straight from the original master tapes.
Some excellent listening if you pick up the SACDs by the Rolling Stones and The Who. Thumbs up !

Hi linda,

I had read that the original mca edition of Whos Next was the one to get, are you saying the German Polydor edition is a better mastered edition? The info I read was that Steve hoffman had used the original master tapes for the first mca edition.
Well, I'm in no hurry to get any shm sacds after reading the above....

Jeff
Won't get Fooled Again

I bought "Who's Next" when it first came out as that was the only one you could get. It's been awhile since I've listened to it, but in general I thought some of the first MCA titles sounded a bit compressed, not that it mattered that much. At first 16 bit / 44.1 kHz was a revelation, now, not so much anymore. I've yet to get tired of 24 bit / 96 kHz. But if the first MCA is the best one, I'll be glad I didn't bother with the later releases.

Yes, Jeff, the Polydor, which came out long before the MCA, is the one to buy. All the MCA's sound very compressed and the high end is more muffled than the Polydor, including the SHM-SACD. I'm guessing that the Polydor goes back further than the tapes the others were mastered from. I've owned 6 copies of this title. The import Polydor LP and CD are the only ones that sound good to me. Steve Hoffman's remaster doesn't cut it for my money. It's likely none of his doing, but what he was given to work with.

Linda
It's only teenage wasteland!

I bought "Who's Next" when it first came out as that was the only one you could get. It's been awhile since I've listened to it, but in general I thought some of the first MCA titles sounded a bit compressed, not that it mattered that much. At first 16 bit / 44.1 kHz was a revelation, now, not so much anymore. I've yet to get tired of 24 bit / 96 kHz. But if the first MCA is the best one, I'll be glad I didn't bother with the later releases.

Hi linda,

I had read that the original mca edition of Whos Next was the one to get, are you saying the German Polydor edition is a better mastered edition? The info I read was that Steve hoffman had used the original master tapes for the first mca edition.
Well, I'm in no hurry to get any shm sacds after reading the above....

Jeff
Won't get Fooled Again

It is very cruel, but I will not be buying anything coming from Japan after the Fukushima incident. THey even refused to accept some cars from Japan in Germany because of their high radiation level.
I'm really sorry-it's horrible and I really pity the Japanese. Besides, I always wanted to visit Japan...I guess that will not happen now....it SUCKS!
Call me whatever, but that's my point of view...

So, I am curious; does this mean you cannot buy anything from the US (3 mile Island) or visit Russia (Chernobyl)? How about Australia - when Sky Lab crached back to earth, it spilt the contents of its nuclear reactor in the outback.

I also recall that the reactor at Chernobyl contaminated lots of other European countries West of it - with Lamb consumtion in some European countries being disrupted for example. Does this mean you will be avoiding purchases from or visits to the UK, Germany and France? I would be very surprised if some of the contamination from Chernobyl didn't reach Spain.

Also had you considered those areas of the world where radiation is normal - such as the Radon gas naturally released in some parts of the South West of the UK? And how about the cosmis rays that constantly fall on every area of the globe?

I am guessing your concerns about radiation must make foreign sight-seeing and/or purchases very difficult for you.

Yes, Jeff, the Polydor, which came out long before the MCA, is the one to buy. All the MCA's sound very compressed and the high end is more muffled than the Polydor, including the SHM-SACD. I'm guessing that the Polydor goes back further than the tapes the others were mastered from. I've owned 6 copies of this title. The import Polydor LP and CD are the only ones that sound good to me. Steve Hoffman's remaster doesn't cut it for my money. It's likely none of his doing, but what he was given to work with.

Linda
It's only teenage wasteland!

That's why I prefer - on the rare occasions they were made available - the dbx II encoded LP's of certain titles - they were mastered when the master tape was typically brand new, and the master tape was played from the recorder that recorded it in the first place, with perfectly aligned Dolby A or dbx I noise reduction. And the dbx II NR on the LP allows a completely silent playback with no limiting applied and HUGE dynamic range. With a modern digital recorder, I can make a CD of a dbx II LP that sounds better than ANY 2 channel release of the same recording, be it SACD, DVD-Audio, etc...

That's why I made my dbx II LP of Heart: Dreamboat Annie available to everyone in its dbx encoded form - the dbx II decoding overcomes all the limitations of the 1-bit DSD recording and 16-bit decimation and it sounds better than Steve Hoffman's DCC 'gold" release or any other modern digital release. It's jaw dropping in its sonic quality.

Don't get me started. dbx II is the bomb! I had a Concord car cassette w/dbx II module in the 80's. Most of the cassettes I recorded are encoded. I have a 224 and a pile of those LP's. Full Sail, Close to You, Introducing 11th House, Diamonds & Rust. Notice a trend, there? Ongaku Kai-Crusaders live in Japan is a wonder. The CD pales by comparison.

The dbx rep gave me a promo of Dreamboat Annie. I didn't have dbx II at home. I already had the Nautilus 1/2 speed. So, I A/B'd them at the store. Holy &*%@, Batman! I expected less noise. That was the least of it! There was an incredible difference in dynamic range. Like Neil Diamond, I'm a Believer. Couldn't live without dbx II in my life after that.

I was sales manager for a large Panasonic distributor. We sold thousands per week of many of their portable cassettes in the '80's. There was a DBX II portable cassette in their literature. I could never get one, yet they swore they made it. My guess is that was vaporware like a CD-4 Crash Landing. If you want to order tens of thousands, we'll get them, I was told. Does anyone know if the Panasonic dbx II portable cassette, simlar to Walkman, was ever made?

Linda
What was this thread about again?

That's why I prefer - on the rare occasions they were made available - the dbx II encoded LP's of certain titles - they were mastered when the master tape was typically brand new, and the master tape was played from the recorder that recorded it in the first place, with perfectly aligned Dolby A or dbx I noise reduction. And the dbx II NR on the LP allows a completely silent playback with no limiting applied and HUGE dynamic range. With a modern digital recorder, I can make a CD of a dbx II LP that sounds better than ANY 2 channel release of the same recording, be it SACD, DVD-Audio, etc...

That's why I made my dbx II LP of Heart: Dreamboat Annie available to everyone in its dbx encoded form - the dbx II decoding overcomes all the limitations of the 1-bit DSD recording and 16-bit decimation and it sounds better than Steve Hoffman's DCC 'gold" release or any other modern digital release. It's jaw dropping in its sonic quality.

New hobbies to start: collect dbx II encoded lps. collect laserdiscs with original soundtrack mastering. Buy $150 plus boxes to get mc mixes.
Rob a bank to pay for the above. It never stops, does it??? :)

Typical.... Rumours and Hotel California finally drop to my price range, and my credit cards are all maxed from school... Sigh...

Does anyone know if the Panasonic dbx II portable cassette, simlar to Walkman, was ever made?

Linda
What was this thread about again?[/QUOTE]

Yes there was, I owned one and used it until it wore out. I would transfer my new vinyl to reel to reel and then to cassette using a dbx 224. I have since copied the tapes to CD and have loads of titles that never made it to CD and may never will. They have a sound to die for and are my most treasured media. I listen to Buckingham/Nicks at least once a week, I never grow tired of it.

I purchased the Hotel California SACD to check them out. It sounds really good, but the DVDA disc sounds better IMHO.

I agree, one must hear to believe.

Back